Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

MB

Dec 07, 2019

I am enjoying this course and am learning quite a bit. Behavior is one of my main interests as a trainer as I think understanding it helps to design training and living programs for the animal.

51 - 75 of 219 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Sharon H I

Nov 29, 2017

I think this course should be a requirement for anyone thinking of adopting a pet. I've been around animals all my life and I still learnt a number of new things from this course!

By Larisa R

Feb 28, 2018

I am happy that studied this course. I got lots of important information about cats and dogs. As a owner of cat, I found this course is very useful. Thank you so much!

By Jeanne A C

Jun 25, 2017

I loved this course and only wish more people could take it and learn about the different characteristics and needs of dogs and cats before they rush out and get one.

By Susthira A

Jun 09, 2017

this course is very helpful to encourage me as a vet and as an pet owner to more understand my patients and my dogs' behaviour and their acts. thank you so much!

By Melania G

Jun 05, 2017

This was such an intersting and owner-friendly course. I an a vet and I highly recommend it to allvpet lovers, pet owners or people that work with cats and dogs.

By Elisabeth H

May 20, 2017

Very interesting and engaging. Fully recommend to anyone interested in learning more about understanding the needs, happiness, and welfare of their pets.

By Erin S

Apr 29, 2017

Excellent. Good for pet owners and interested persons. Not as helpful for experienced animal professionals, but I learned a few new things regardless.

By Robyn H

May 12, 2017

Clear, concise, and informative. I particularly appreciated the de-bunking of myths such as the 'alpha' and pack theory. A very enjoyable course.

By Wioleta S

Sep 17, 2017

Very good and informative course. I would recommend it to everyone who has a contact with dogs and cats, from vet proffessionals and pet owners.

By Chung Y L C

Jul 23, 2017

Detailed and accurate pet-oriented discussion to pet welfare and proper interaction. Every to-be pet (cats/dogs) owners should take this course!

By Theresa-Marie M

May 21, 2017

A must for all new pet owners and old supposedly 'knowledgeable' owners. I've had pets all my life and learned a lot, including what I do wrong.

By Tamsin C

Jun 25, 2017

A well-presented and easy-to-follow course about the latest research into dog and cat needs. Highly recommended for all pet owners and carers!

By Sonia C d M

Mar 20, 2018

With this course you will be aware of absolutely everything that your pet dogs and cats really need to live happy and healthy in our world.

By Shannon C

Jul 16, 2017

I loved this course! All the subtle ways my cat and dog communicate have been explained and I now have a better understanding of the what's

By Michael

Feb 21, 2018

Very well assembled and presented throughout. I learned a lot about a topic which I considered myself to be fairly well versed beforehand.

By Bernadette R

Oct 10, 2017

Awesome course, even as a vet its a great reminder on how to improve pet welfare for your patients and your own pets. Great ressource!

By Kiều D

Jul 16, 2017

Very useful this course , thank you all amazing team who has support all owners can understand more abut ther pets. Thank you so much!

By Sarah H

Aug 31, 2017

It was a great course with lots of important information. I knew most of the things about dogs but it still was very valuable for me.

By Renato G

May 24, 2017

Great course for all those who are cat and/or dog owners and wish to deepen, in a very relaxed way, one's knowledge of these animals.

By Loralee B

Jul 07, 2017

A must-take for all cat and dog owners! I learned a lot and have been able to use the info to provide better conditions for my cats.

By Kerlley d S B

Mar 13, 2019

Curso maravilhoso com conteúdos que são de extrema importância para o meu desenvolvimento como bióloga.

Estou amando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Shirl W

May 18, 2018

Interesting and easy to follow course. Even the most experienced cat or dog owner can find tips to improve life for their pets.

By Alida S

Oct 04, 2019

I thick, although it is a basic course, it has a lot of valuable information that are very useful and easy to put in practice.

By Sinead N

Aug 02, 2017

A fantastic course the provides the most up-to-date knowledge on the realities of our strange world for our beloved companions

By Cathi

Aug 27, 2017

Informative, compelling and wonderfully taught. I highly recommend to anyone that shares their life with a dog, cat or both.