Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

JJ

May 02, 2020

I have had a variety of animal companions throughout my life, but this course has taught me that I could always benefit by staying up-to-date on the latest information related to animal welfare.

101 - 125 of 424 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Larisa R

Feb 28, 2018

I am happy that studied this course. I got lots of important information about cats and dogs. As a owner of cat, I found this course is very useful. Thank you so much!

By Jeanne A C

Jun 25, 2017

I loved this course and only wish more people could take it and learn about the different characteristics and needs of dogs and cats before they rush out and get one.

By Halan J G

We need more courses like this, to have the opportunity to understand more about our companions, our pets, to enhance they welfare and our relationships. Thank you!

By Sara F F J G

May 02, 2020

Thank you. The course exceeded my expectations, I really liked your approaches to various problems, I learned a lot and solidified other knowledge. Congratulations!

By Inês M M M

Sep 25, 2020

Super informative, simple and trully important information! To all pet owners and specially to all the pet owners to be in the world! I liked it a lot. Recommend!

By Susthira A

Jun 09, 2017

this course is very helpful to encourage me as a vet and as an pet owner to more understand my patients and my dogs' behaviour and their acts. thank you so much!

By Melania G

Jun 05, 2017

This was such an intersting and owner-friendly course. I an a vet and I highly recommend it to allvpet lovers, pet owners or people that work with cats and dogs.

By Rina M C ( P

Aug 16, 2020

The course has open my eyes and gives me deep understanding on cats and dogs behaviour and raises my awareness on how i should fulfill their five welfare needs.

By Liew W Y

Jun 11, 2020

The course programme is nicely paced and covers the fundamentals which are definitely helpful for anyone who are interested in basic knowledge of cats and dogs.

By Sabita R

Apr 09, 2020

The emphasis is on wellbeing of the pets, changing our views as human 'masters', and I appreciate that! It's not about us humans, its about them cats and dogs!

By Kirsten L

Jun 15, 2020

Such an informative and interesting course, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to apply it to my further plans of working with animals (mainly cats and dogs).

By HARISH A 1

THIS COURSE IS VERY NICE AND INFORMATIVE AND IT IS TAKEN NATURALY WITH THE ANIMALS IN SCENE WHICH MAKES THE VIDEO LECTURE TO LOOK LIKE A LIVE CONVERSATION

By Elisabeth H

May 20, 2017

Very interesting and engaging. Fully recommend to anyone interested in learning more about understanding the needs, happiness, and welfare of their pets.

By Erin S

Apr 29, 2017

Excellent. Good for pet owners and interested persons. Not as helpful for experienced animal professionals, but I learned a few new things regardless.

By Chern H Y

May 12, 2020

Really learnt more about both cats' and dogs' behavior. very informative, insightful, and interesting. Love how it is being presented by animal owners.

By Joseph W

Apr 24, 2020

I rate this course a five-star course because it really helped me understand the way that not only dogs communicate with us but with each other as well

By Zlata K

Jun 29, 2020

Great content and fantastic lecturers. I wish I could join the class in the real world. I am in New Zealand though so online is the next best thing :)

By Robyn H

May 12, 2017

Clear, concise, and informative. I particularly appreciated the de-bunking of myths such as the 'alpha' and pack theory. A very enjoyable course.

By Gina H

Jun 17, 2020

This course was easy to use and understand. I learned so much and loved all the videos and extra resources available. The professors were great!

By Wioleta S

Sep 17, 2017

Very good and informative course. I would recommend it to everyone who has a contact with dogs and cats, from vet proffessionals and pet owners.

By Chung Y L C

Jul 23, 2017

Detailed and accurate pet-oriented discussion to pet welfare and proper interaction. Every to-be pet (cats/dogs) owners should take this course!

By Theresa-Marie M

May 21, 2017

A must for all new pet owners and old supposedly 'knowledgeable' owners. I've had pets all my life and learned a lot, including what I do wrong.

By Tamsin C

Jun 25, 2017

A well-presented and easy-to-follow course about the latest research into dog and cat needs. Highly recommended for all pet owners and carers!

By Angeles V

Jul 25, 2020

Excellent course. If you want to know more about our pets and improve your relatioship and your bond with them, you should take this course.

By Sonia C d M

Mar 20, 2018

With this course you will be aware of absolutely everything that your pet dogs and cats really need to live happy and healthy in our world.