Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

MB

Dec 07, 2019

I am enjoying this course and am learning quite a bit. Behavior is one of my main interests as a trainer as I think understanding it helps to design training and living programs for the animal.

151 - 175 of 220 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Jeslyn Y

Jul 21, 2017

It was really interesting and fun.

By Prashant S S

May 03, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By Theresa F

Sep 19, 2018

love it i learned a lot!!!!!!!!!

By Owen K

Jul 03, 2018

I learned so much! Thank you! :)

By Shu-Hua, W

Jun 14, 2017

Love this course. Learned a lot.

By Olga P M M

May 24, 2017

A great course! congratulations.

By Sara K

May 14, 2017

Very informative. Great videos.

By cesarpachon

Feb 06, 2018

incredibly fun and interesting

By Nanthawan A

Aug 23, 2017

Useful course for pet owners.

By Joy S

May 17, 2017

excellent info for pet owners

By Eva B

May 28, 2017

Excellent course, thank you!

By Kelvin H Y Y

Jun 18, 2018

A lot of useful information

By Zuzana Ž