Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS
Jul 30, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

NW
Oct 28, 2020

I learned so much. I am a hobby farmer with a small flock, but I really enjoyed learning about all aspects of chicken welfare as it pertains to both small and large scale operations. Thank you!

101 - 125 of 289 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Misty K

Dec 1, 2016

Loving this course!!!!! When I was a teenager we lived on a farm and raised chickens I even had several for pets!!

By Mary M

May 4, 2020

I enjoyed taking this class. I have raised chickens and learned about housing, feeding and mercy killing chickens.

By Helen L

Oct 14, 2016

Good overall information about small personal flocks as well as the commercial use of chickens for eggs and meat.

By NEWTON L I

Jan 10, 2020

This is coarse has very rich material and I advise anyone in the sector and along the value chain to take it.

By Vivian C

Oct 16, 2017

Excellent course in both material content and the friendly and easy to understand approach from the lecturer.

By Bitney M

Nov 3, 2018

Well balanced course. Presented in a structured way. Providing excellent information and good perspective.

By marijke

Apr 24, 2020

Wonderful course, great level of information. Good layout, well presented. Well pitched level of learning.

By Matthew A

Jul 14, 2017

This course is a good course for beginning and experienced poultry farmers I would recommend it to anyone.

By Diane M

Jan 5, 2021

This was detailed and inclusive and I will find the information useful with my new flock of layer hens

By Annie P

Aug 5, 2019

This course was excellent. Brought knowledge about chicken, raising them and their welfare issues.

By Cynthia A

Aug 11, 2016

This is a great class. I enjoyed the videos. I hope to see more classes on poultry in the future.

By victoria w

Sep 12, 2017

Absolutely invaluable teaching for anyone keeping poultry and seeking to be a better flockmaster

By Maria N

Excellent course, so many useful information given in such an easy and compact way. Thank you!

By Jane M M

Mar 15, 2017

The subject we fascinating and was presented to me in a very willing, patient and kind woman.

By Ricardo E M E

Jul 1, 2019

Chicken Behaviour and Welfare was excellent and I learned a lot, thank you very, very much!!

By Lawrence m

Oct 15, 2018

I have what I needed to know now but I need the link to pay for this certificate or account

By Fiona B

Jul 23, 2017

Very good and informative. I would recommend this for anyone with an interest in chickens.

By alan

Jan 26, 2018

Excellent introduction, factual and informative. Very helpful for the lifestyle hobbyist.

By Juan J S B

Nov 27, 2017

Un curso magnífico tanto para los que crían para autoconsumo, como para los profesionales.

By Mehmet U

Jul 22, 2020

Excellent training and always gives you a chance to learn something new about chickens.

By Enrique G C

Dec 23, 2020

Gracias a este curso pude ampliar mas mi conocimiento sobre la cría de aves de corral.

By Gipsi T

Sep 4, 2018

Great course for increasing awareness of a bird that is so useful to much of humanity.

By Zego

Nov 14, 2017

so great and useful knowledge. this is the second time that i have learnt this course.

By Risa U

Aug 22, 2020

Very interesting course, i love the module, the lecturer and the material....Great !!

By Sourav M S

May 13, 2020

it was a very nice experience for me... i learnt a lot of thing, thank you very much.