Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS
Jul 30, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

NW
Oct 28, 2020

I learned so much. I am a hobby farmer with a small flock, but I really enjoyed learning about all aspects of chicken welfare as it pertains to both small and large scale operations. Thank you!

76 - 100 of 275 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Erick F M C

Sep 4, 2019

Is a very complete course, Im a student of veterinary medicine in Colombia so is very helpful to see how the welfare is managed in develop countries

By Nessa K

Nov 27, 2016

As a backyard chicken owners, I find this course to be quite helpful in understanding how to better my chickens' living environment.

By Amy

Aug 23, 2020

Very informative on the common types of production of broilers and layers and also some useful information for keepers of backyard chickens.

By Bassam E H

May 16, 2020

It is an extraordinary course full of knowledge and experience

I do recommend it for poultry lovers and all those who plan to raise chicken

By Edward M G

May 6, 2019

This has been a very interesting course, I never imagined that the behavior of the chickens was so complex. 100% recommended this course.

By Annemarie N

Oct 16, 2019

I have chickens so I knew many concepts, however this course went into detail and explained specifically the why and how. Great Course!

By Muhammad U

Jan 24, 2020

I'm really satisfied with the course work, its well planned, goes step by step till the meat processing/ slaughter. well done guys :)

By Fernando J p d

Jan 21, 2019

I'm about to start a small breeding project for laying hens naturally and it has been very important to know such an important topic.

By Lindsay A S

Super informational about chickens! I did not know much about them, besides what I do for work so was cool to learn more about them.

By Louise M

Oct 29, 2020

Brilliant course I enjoyed it and it was very informative gave me a better understanding of my own chickens. Highly recommended. 😊

By Jawagar.S.J T

it is very useful and it gives me more knowledge about poultry birds and the variation among the species used in the poultry farm

By Janet W

Nov 13, 2016

very good course! after finished all the contents, I really have a brief and basic understanding abt birds and chicken behavior

By Ileana A S

Jul 30, 2020

I learned a lot from chicken behaviour and it is awsome how much care they need, but at the same time is paceful and relaxing.

By sujatha s

Jun 28, 2017

Very interesting course. The use of videos, interviews and documents keeps the learner's interest levels high. Well designed

By Troy D J

Jul 27, 2016

Awesome! I took the course to go along with my current job training and will use it to help me advance in my current career.

By Alex J

Jun 19, 2020

I have learned a great deal about poultry welfare and now feel confident in evaluating their well being via their behaviour

By José A C S M

May 22, 2020

I study veterinary medicine. Behavior, welfare and avian medicine interest me.

Everything I could learn was very enriching!

By Jobayer S

Oct 26, 2020

I like the course very much. I have learned many things. Hopefully it will help me in near future. Thanks all the mentors.

By D.r : G M A

May 2, 2020

It was a wonderful course I learned a lot Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Veterinarian Ghazwan Muhammad Al-Sheikh

By Yana S

Feb 11, 2018

I learned so many things in this course. I particularly liked the behavior and how to manage it portion of the course.

By Misty K

Dec 1, 2016

Loving this course!!!!! When I was a teenager we lived on a farm and raised chickens I even had several for pets!!

By Mary M

May 4, 2020

I enjoyed taking this class. I have raised chickens and learned about housing, feeding and mercy killing chickens.

By Helen L

Oct 14, 2016

Good overall information about small personal flocks as well as the commercial use of chickens for eggs and meat.

By NEWTON L I

Jan 10, 2020

This is coarse has very rich material and I advise anyone in the sector and along the value chain to take it.