Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS

Jul 31, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

CL

Oct 07, 2016

Fantastic course if you're just starting out in the world of chickens. I feel that I gained vital knowledge which has boosted my confidence in my abilities as a back garden hen keeper.

76 - 100 of 152 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Troy D J

Jul 27, 2016

Awesome! I took the course to go along with my current job training and will use it to help me advance in my current career.

By Troy S

Feb 16, 2017

I enjoyed the fact that the background was the real environment. The material was short and to the point and easy to follow yet offered deeper learning with the extra articles that were offered. I was amazed at some of the statistics and that gave me more appreciation of chickens. Thank you.

By Kelsey M

Jul 05, 2017

The woman who does the lectures for this course is thorough, well spoken, clear, and consistent. I also felt the the course information was relevant and tailored the the needs of the participant. Take it, even if it's just for fun. It wasn't terribly time consuming whatsoever.

By fernando g u

Feb 12, 2018

Excellent

By Helen L

Oct 14, 2016

Good overall information about small personal flocks as well as the commercial use of chickens for eggs and meat.

By Tara

Mar 21, 2018

This is an extremely interesting course. Practical material is presented in a straight forward manner. It is excellent to see real life footage of laying and broiler hens and the environment they are kept. This course is useful for those interested in learning more about their backyard chickens and the type of conditions they require. It is also use for those with an interest in animal welfare in general.

By victoria w

Sep 12, 2017

Absolutely invaluable teaching for anyone keeping poultry and seeking to be a better flockmaster

By Ida S N M

Apr 29, 2017

The course was clear and extremely informative. I have wanted to get chickens for a while and now I feel much more qualified to give them a good life!

By Etta D

Aug 16, 2017

Very helpful and interesting!

By Kelli S

Sep 11, 2016

This class helped me understand chickens better.

By Jamie H

Feb 20, 2017

Very thorough. Learned a lot.

By Angela W

Jul 23, 2017

Really interesting and easy to follow. I was mostly learning with a view to owning a small backyard flock one day, but even so the information pertaining to commercial operations was important and easy to understand. A lot can be taken from that for a small set-up anyway.

By Mary L B

Sep 24, 2016

I learned a lot! Thank you.

By Tamsin C

Feb 01, 2018

Excellent information on how chickens see the world and interact, the problems that can occur when keeping them and how to resolve these problems. Also the stark reality of modern farming. Recommended and required knowledge for all chicken owners and consumers.

By Micheal O

Jul 18, 2017

This is one of the best course i have ever taken online.

By Natasha H

Nov 25, 2017

working in a poultry meat farm i found this course quite useful

By J V K

Nov 27, 2016

As a backyard chicken owners, I find this course to be quite helpful in understanding how to better my chickens' living environment.

By Ana O

Nov 25, 2016

Thank you, it was very helpful. I am starting to raise chickens next year in my backyard and I've learned so much that my confidence is boosted to 100%.

By Raquel B

Oct 19, 2016

Excelent

By Naritsorn P

May 09, 2017

The course is logic and interesting, not boring at all. As a vet I can use this course to improve my skill in practice easily and I'm sure you will find it useful/enjoy like I did too.

Regards,

Naritsorn P, DVM

By Bitney M

Nov 03, 2018

Well balanced course. Presented in a structured way. Providing excellent information and good perspective.

By Laura W

Nov 05, 2018

I loved this course. This course covers everything from the fields of study used for behavior to end-of-life situations, including slaughter. I couldn’t bring myself to watch the videos in the last week, as I don’t care to learn how to slaughter these wonderful birds. Well worth the money if you want the certificate. I most appreciated the discussion of incorporating natural behaviors into the commercial raising of chickens and how studies of such behaviors led to the changing of laws.

By Saira T

Jul 11, 2018

Excellent course. Course video's and reading information was very interesting.

By andrew s c

Apr 17, 2019

This was brilliant for me as I struggle with reading and a lot of this was done by audio.

I have gained even more knowledge to help me maintain my flock and hope to use this knowledge to progress in the future.

Many thanks to all the staff and teams that made this online course available and flexible.

No doubt ill be back to learn some more :)

By Dominique K

May 01, 2019

Excellent course with well presented lectures and a thorough overview of the issues associated with poultry keeping both at the large and small scale