Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS
Jul 30, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

NW
Oct 28, 2020

I learned so much. I am a hobby farmer with a small flock, but I really enjoyed learning about all aspects of chicken welfare as it pertains to both small and large scale operations. Thank you!

226 - 250 of 277 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Charlotte G

Jul 30, 2016

A very informative and interesting course, a good cover of both behaviour and welfare. Each section was explained well, so no background knowledge was required. I appreciated the additional video content to explain concepts. I would have liked a little more information on disease and nutrition but I understand it is difficult to cover everything in a short course.

By Michelle B W

Jan 10, 2020

This course was extremely interesting and informative, with any technical or complex terms explained. It would have been useful to have more images in the videos to further explain each point, such as examples of the different slaughter methods, etc. I'd highly recommend this course for anyone with an interest in chickens, either personal or professional.

By Lakota J M

Oct 2, 2020

Interesting and in depth, though I take one star off as I can't shake the feeling that week 5 is almost entirely propaganda paid off by large scale poultry farms.

Free range is entirely more humane, birds need sunshine, fresh air, grass, and dirt. That isn't to say free range is completely humane, as NO commercial poultry farm will ever be humane.

By Paul M

Apr 12, 2020

I enjoyed this course thank you. As a suggested improvement for future courses; access to transcripts for all videos would be a great learning aid. I would be very interested in participating in a similar course focusing on Broiler Behaviour and Welfare - from hatchery to slaughter. Thanks again. Kind regards. Paul Morrell

By Marian v d K

Apr 18, 2017

I really enjoyed the course. I hope to see more animal specific behaviour and welfare courses in the future.

This course mostly covered parts of the poultry industry, I would have enjoyed it even more if non commercial farming was included, like chickens at home or at the children's farm.

By Pauline B

Dec 14, 2016

Honestly, I am absolutely delighted to have access to that course. Information is reliable, strong, you can have access to a huge number of articles, studies... It is well structured. My only regret, is that there is a lack of actual images of the actions and the process described.

By Susanne G

Aug 11, 2020

Great content. Personally would have preferred the content to be more geared towards backyard breeders but overall good balance on welfare topics vs caring for chickens at home. Could be a little bit more technical/detailed & challenging.

By Noah B

Feb 20, 2020

The content was of the course was exceptional and easy to follow. Despite my hectic work schedules, the presentation of the course made it easy to pick up where I left off and enabled me to complete this amazing course. Many thanks.

By Dirk C B

Jan 24, 2017

The individual lectures are kept short and the exams at the end of the week felt "fair".

The course itself is very informative and comprehensive . I learned a lot and I feel somehow ok prepared to keep a few backyard chicken :)

By Jordan K

May 2, 2017

Generally pretty well put together. There were more then a few times some of the videos probably should have been combined into one, so as to be less cluttered. Otherwise overall a pretty pleasant experience.

By Melissa L

Aug 18, 2018

Informative. However sometimes it was hard to hear the lecture over the chicks. I would have also liked a bit more photos or videos of what was being talked about instead of a video of the lecturer

By Munafahemad K S

Jul 2, 2020

Excellent. Very Informative course. from Poultry Welfare point of view. It would have been richer if various processes, equipment were included for demonstration along with the lecture videos.

By Caroline C

May 5, 2020

There is some super helpful information in this course, at times it was difficult to maintain concentration with the background noise of the chickens and a monotone speach delivery.

By Zelal ِ A

Sep 8, 2018

The course is fun with valuable content but it needs more illustrations, Talks about behaviors in general but would be desirable if there is more expansion in commercial farms.

By Pritom D

On the video section,the process should be shown by technically.It was just about telling the processes.But if the process was shown on the video,it would be more effecient.

By Thirza v K

Nov 17, 2017

I love chickens and i'm very happy to know a bit more about the process. I also admire how objective this course handles the subjects, even if they are ethically sensitive.

By Laura E C C

Apr 1, 2020

Is great that have courses in the plataform, that explaine and introduced all kind of people with the food production, and people understand the process with science basis

By Nina T

Mar 21, 2018

Interesting course that covers all kinds of aspects related to keeping chickens. The lectures are clear, and supplementary articles are provided for those interested.

By Rey W

Apr 8, 2017

Quality information & supplemental info provided! I own chickens and am very interested in animal welfare and I love edinborough's welfare courses.

By Linda P

Nov 4, 2016

I have learned a lot more about the behaviour and welfare of chickens. Highly recommended for anyone who keeps a few or lots of chickens.

By Maria S S C

Nov 25, 2018

Very nice introductory course! I would like another that goes more deeply into anatomy, physiology and pathology in production chickens.

By JOSEFINA D B

Aug 6, 2020

I learned a lot about chickens. As an improvement, I suggest that it could include information about chicken disease and parasites.

By Maksuda A M

Jun 12, 2020

It was a very educative course. Now, I know many new information about Chicken behaviour & welfare, what I haven’t known before.

By Hector L J

Jul 1, 2020

There should be more images videos of concepts explained in lecture videos, e.g. welfare problems, stress

By Kirsty W

Jul 23, 2016

Can be taken by anyone with an interest in chickens! Good references and interesting variety of topics!