Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS

Jul 31, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

CL

Oct 07, 2016

Fantastic course if you're just starting out in the world of chickens. I feel that I gained vital knowledge which has boosted my confidence in my abilities as a back garden hen keeper.

51 - 75 of 152 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Ana O

Nov 25, 2016

Thank you, it was very helpful. I am starting to raise chickens next year in my backyard and I've learned so much that my confidence is boosted to 100%.

By Daniel D

Sep 13, 2016

This course was very very useful for my wife and I (backyard chicken owners). Dr. Sandilands's clear presentation makes it very easy to get the concepts and understand how to apply them in an actual flock. Highly recommended!

By Janelle

Aug 02, 2017

Excellent! Informative, interesting, and impartial!

By Raquel B

Oct 19, 2016

Excelent

By Mostafa M

Oct 13, 2016

this course is excellant for who want to know more about chicken behaviour and welfare

i belive that when we know the normal behaviour we can know the disorders

thanks

By Naritsorn P

May 09, 2017

The course is logic and interesting, not boring at all. As a vet I can use this course to improve my skill in practice easily and I'm sure you will find it useful/enjoy like I did too.

Regards,

Naritsorn P, DVM

By Cynthia A

Aug 11, 2016

This is a great class. I enjoyed the videos. I hope to see more classes on poultry in the future.

By Elijah B

Sep 05, 2016

Very well-explained information is given. Anyone who is a chicken-lover or keeps chickens should take this course. It's not too much to learn. The videos are short and to the point, yet well-explained. A very good course.

By Jane M M

Mar 15, 2017

The subject we fascinating and was presented to me in a very willing, patient and kind woman.

By Frederique C

Apr 30, 2017

A very interesting and very developed course, wth so many concrete details ! Serious study in the depth of chickens life (backyard and commercial). Much useful, to be able to understand chickens, to evaluate their welfare, and then to improve it. I think that, thanks to this course, it's really possible to be a good stock keeper, and to have a happy flock ! Thank you so much for this precious help !

By Kimberly M

Nov 27, 2016

I started this course knowing nothing about caring for chickens and have completed it feeling like I now have the knowledge required to properly care for a flock. I have also answered some of my friends questions, leading to the improvement of their flocks lives.

By Claire L

Oct 07, 2016

By Mary L B

Sep 24, 2016

I learned a lot! Thank you.

By sujatha s

Jun 28, 2017

Very interesting course. The use of videos, interviews and documents keeps the learner's interest levels high. Well designed

By Agnieszka S

Aug 01, 2017

Thank you for fantastic opportunity to learn about chickens life.

By Crystal G

Jun 15, 2016

Learned a lot!

By Tamsin C

Feb 01, 2018

Excellent information on how chickens see the world and interact, the problems that can occur when keeping them and how to resolve these problems. Also the stark reality of modern farming. Recommended and required knowledge for all chicken owners and consumers.

By Fiona B

Jul 23, 2017

Very good and informative. I would recommend this for anyone with an interest in chickens.

By Micheal O

Jul 18, 2017

This is one of the best course i have ever taken online.

By Tara

Mar 21, 2018

This is an extremely interesting course. Practical material is presented in a straight forward manner. It is excellent to see real life footage of laying and broiler hens and the environment they are kept. This course is useful for those interested in learning more about their backyard chickens and the type of conditions they require. It is also use for those with an interest in animal welfare in general.

By victoria w

Sep 12, 2017

Absolutely invaluable teaching for anyone keeping poultry and seeking to be a better flockmaster

By Jamie H

Feb 20, 2017

Very thorough. Learned a lot.

By Angela W

Jul 23, 2017

Really interesting and easy to follow. I was mostly learning with a view to owning a small backyard flock one day, but even so the information pertaining to commercial operations was important and easy to understand. A lot can be taken from that for a small set-up anyway.

By Adam L

Feb 08, 2018

Fascinating and very informative. I enjoyed it!

By Kristo R

Jun 26, 2016

Interesting and not too difficult for a complete novice of the topic.