Back to Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

This course explains the general principles of chicken behaviour and welfare, and the behavioural and physiological indicators that can be used to assess welfare in chickens kept in hobby flocks through to commercial farms. The focus is primarily on laying hens and meat chickens (broilers) although many of the principles are relevant to other types of poultry. The course is likely to be of interest to people who own chickens as pets or keep a small hobby flock, commercial egg and chicken meat producers, veterinarians and vet nurses. Learning Objectives: at the end of this course, you will be able to - - Describe avian sensory perception and motivation - Explain the main behaviour patterns of poultry - Define welfare and explain the bases of welfare standards - Assess chicken welfare, using behavioural and physiological means - Understand common welfare problems of chickens This course is taught by staff from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC), University of Glasgow, and St David's Poultry Team. You can follow us on Twitter! #chickenmooc © University of Edinburgh and Scotland's Rural College 2016 CC BY...

MS

Jul 31, 2019

Great information about chickens' instinctive behaviors and the advantages and disadvantages of various means of caring for them. I learned a lot about the various systems used throughout the world.

CL

Oct 07, 2016

Fantastic course if you're just starting out in the world of chickens. I feel that I gained vital knowledge which has boosted my confidence in my abilities as a back garden hen keeper.

126 - 150 of 152 Reviews for Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

By Marian v d K

Apr 18, 2017

I really enjoyed the course. I hope to see more animal specific behaviour and welfare courses in the future.

This course mostly covered parts of the poultry industry, I would have enjoyed it even more if non commercial farming was included, like chickens at home or at the children's farm.

By JUSTO G S C

May 10, 2017

Good course. Congratulations

By Simone P

Feb 24, 2017

Informative and interesting.

By Dirk C B

Jan 24, 2017

The individual lectures are kept short and the exams at the end of the week felt "fair".

The course itself is very informative and comprehensive . I learned a lot and I feel somehow ok prepared to keep a few backyard chicken :)

By Richard K

Aug 18, 2017

very informative

By Charlotte G

Jul 30, 2016

A very informative and interesting course, a good cover of both behaviour and welfare. Each section was explained well, so no background knowledge was required. I appreciated the additional video content to explain concepts. I would have liked a little more information on disease and nutrition but I understand it is difficult to cover everything in a short course.

By Rey W

Apr 08, 2017

Quality information & supplemental info provided! I own chickens and am very interested in animal welfare and I love edinborough's welfare courses.

By Omar H

Nov 10, 2017

Good course, a little eurocentric but useful none the less.

By Johan T

Jun 17, 2016

Very interesting course. Truly enjoyed studying the behaviour of the animals I started appreciating a lot. Nevertheless 4 out of 5 stars because I felt the course is typically focusing on the large scale agro industrial side more then the (increasing number) of small scale/hobby keepers. Also I would have loved to learn more about typical chicken health care issues and how to prevent. All in all very informative and definitely a course I recommend!

By Jordan K

May 02, 2017

Generally pretty well put together. There were more then a few times some of the videos probably should have been combined into one, so as to be less cluttered. Otherwise overall a pretty pleasant experience.

By Edie L

Dec 26, 2016

Fascinating general information on commercial and backyard chicken welfare and behavior course.

By Emlynn C

Jul 01, 2017

Course was very dense but well organized so that this 6 week long course can be knocked out in a weekend. Has a lot of different views on methods of poultry farming that are all treated with respect and is a great way to learn the basics of poultry whether it's for commercial or backyard production. Only complaints are that it's test-only, no written or free answer exercises (which may be par for coursera, I wouldn't know) and that treatment options for a few common illnesses/injuries/abnormalities such as being egg bound or egg eating were not discussed

By Andy W

Mar 10, 2018

Very interesting course for the home chicken-keeper

By Anne b

Apr 12, 2018

Very interesting, if a bit short.

By Zelal ِ A

Sep 08, 2018

The course is fun with valuable content but it needs more illustrations, Talks about behaviors in general but would be desirable if there is more expansion in commercial farms.

By Maria S S C

Nov 25, 2018

Very nice introductory course! I would like another that goes more deeply into anatomy, physiology and pathology in production chickens.

By Melissa L

Aug 19, 2018

Informative. However sometimes it was hard to hear the lecture over the chicks. I would have also liked a bit more photos or videos of what was being talked about instead of a video of the lecturer

By Steve E

Sep 15, 2019

I realize this course is offered by the University of Edinburgh, however I wish there was less emphasis on unnecessary facts related to the UK such as "What percentage of chickens were free range in the UK in 2013" which in no way matters to me as someone trying to learn about raising and caring for chickens. That said, I learned A LOT in this course. So many things I did not know that I did not know. Chicken behavior, feeding, watering, transport, feather pecking, as a few examples. I will recommend this course to anyone I meet who asks where to learn more about chickens, raising them, or caring for them.

By Kelly L

May 26, 2017

This is geared more to the industry than it is to breeders and back yard flock keepers. Still has good information i

By Colin C

Aug 01, 2017

I would say this is a very helpful course for those interested in intensive/ factory farming chicken production. It touches on the basics of keeping backyard chickens, but does not offer many recourse on this topic. I would like to see a course similar to this one but more information on small scale organic/ free range set ups. I would also have appreciated a more in depth look into the economics and marketing of chicken products. Why is it that large scale operations tend to be more economically viable than their small scale counter parts. I would like to hear from more small scale produces and the problems/ benefits of their systems. Thank you for the free course non the less it was interesting to see how the different style and size of the operations operate and perform!

By Sarah H

Aug 27, 2017

The first few weeks were good - where it was actually about chicken behaviour. Not interested in the continued justification of industrial ag and the vilification of free range and home raised chickens.

By Ana B

Apr 26, 2017

Se trata de un curso bastante general sobre el B.A. que recomiendo a gente que se quiera informar sobre el tema, pero no necesita profundizar en ello. Lo que más me gustó fueron los primeros temas para aprender a diferenciar los tipos de picaje que presentan las aves.

Agradecería se profundizara más en algunos temas, como actualmente la polémica existente sobre la matanza de los pollitos macho de un día, el corte de picos, los sistemas en jaulas... Y se centra mucho en UK, en vez de en general.

By dell s

Oct 20, 2016

pretty basic information with lots of repetition. course is short and really can be completed in an evening or two. instructor is knowledgeable. video of lecture doesn't add to presentation. there are few examples or interactive sessions and most of the time the instruction just speaks in front of a chicken cage. if i evaluate this course dispassionately then i don't think there is much difference between watching this course and reading a 5-10 page article.

By Emma W

Sep 14, 2017

I learnt a great amount about chicken behaviour (except their calls which I would like to know more about). However the course is too aimed at commercial breeders, so it wasn't as relevant to my backyard chickens as I would have liked. Weeks 1, 2 and 3 are quite relevant and helpful to backyard breeders (week 3 particularly for those who want to breed chicks). Weeks 4 & 5 I feel like they are justifying factory farms, more than educating about chickens. More information about backyard housing and specifics about diet (percentages of protein/carbs/fats & where to get these) would be appreciated. Well worth paying for if you would like proof of knowledge for the industry. Or even for weeks 1, 2 and 3, if you'd like a certificate to show your girls.

By Claire C

Jan 19, 2017

nice teacher but the course is too succint.

Each lecture is very short and theoritical with little visual content. the course could/should be more detailed and a section of the course should relate to backyard chicken farming as well. i wish there also had been a section on how to recognise different illnesses in chickens and demonstration on how to humanely kill a chicken for example.

I enjoyed the course for what it was but i wish it had been taught with far more depth and breadth