Back to Chinese Politics Part 1 – China and Political Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese Politics Part 1 – China and Political Science by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course offers a conceptual framework for understanding China that highlights the intersection of politics and economics. It shows that rather than develop into a full blown market economy, state and party officials at all levels of the political system maintain significant influence in economic development. Such a “political” economy has had both positive and negative outcomes, which we will assess in detail. We also look at the origins, views, backgrounds and relations among leaders, and how those leaders make decisions about public policy and try to get those decisions implemented down through the system. China has few formal institutions through which citizens can participate in politics, but we will study the strategies Chinese people use to try to influence their leaders’ decisions. Finally, we assess China’s future and whether rapid economic development and the emergence of a vibrant middle class will push China towards greater democracy or whether the single party system is likely to survive into the future. The course is a quite useful background for Chinese Politics Part 2 – China and the World. Course Overview video: https://youtu.be/7FpNL67EbE4...

CW

Apr 12, 2017

Both enjoyable and informative. It is exactly the sort of crash course in Chinese politics I was looking for and I have been inspired to take my learning on the subject further

CC

Oct 15, 2017

Excellent. One of the best MOOCs I have taken. The videos, the materials provided (articles and excerpts to read, slides etc.). Moreover, if one writes somebody answers!

26 - 29 of 29 Reviews for Chinese Politics Part 1 – China and Political Science

By Matthew J

Sep 03, 2019

Very interesting class with a great teacher! Only complaint I have is that the tests have overly-specific questions (the questions bank on obscure dates and names), and that there are some typos on the notes slides.

By Joy S

Jan 28, 2019

ok class. Good facts about China

By Mark W

Aug 23, 2016

Really good programme so far, very clear and structured input from a knowledgeable expert, who is nonetheless able to make the topics covered accessible.

Tests are a bit tricky though!

By David F

Apr 18, 2017

Great course. Could have been longer, if you ask me. Also there were a few technical bugs. Notifications for assignments could have been clearer too. The system said it would email me when I needed to review peer's assignments, but that never happened.