Back to Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics by University of Cape Town

If you’ve ever skipped over`the results section of a medical paper because terms like “confidence interval” or “p-value” go over your head, then you’re in the right place. You may be a clinical practitioner reading research articles to keep up-to-date with developments in your field or a medical student wondering how to approach your own research. Greater confidence in understanding statistical analysis and the results can benefit both working professionals and those undertaking research themselves. If you are simply interested in properly understanding the published literature or if you are embarking on conducting your own research, this course is your first step. It offers an easy entry into interpreting common statistical concepts without getting into nitty-gritty mathematical formulae. To be able to interpret and understand these concepts is the best way to start your journey into the world of clinical literature. That’s where this course comes in - so let’s get started! The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion which you become eligible for, if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

AM
Dec 15, 2018

Klopper MD is a great teacher. There are other courses from another top universities about this topic, but I think this is my favourite. This the shortest in duration and most comprehensive among all.

LK
Jul 28, 2017

Great course!! it is gonna provide you a good foundation in clinical studies if you want to start your career in clinical research! Clear explanation and comprehensive case study! highly recommended!

26 - 50 of 665 Reviews for Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the Statistics

By Beatriz

May 22, 2018

Very clear and direct to the point explanations on how to design a trial, hypothesis contrast and the use of different statistical tests depending on the variables (numerical parametric and non parametric and for categorical variables) and their interpretation. The course also included several "warnings" for the correct interpretation of the study results (for instance, the importance of publishing the raw data of the trials, to set the study hypothesis and statistics from the very beginning and before data collection and analysis, to interpret the PPV considering the prevalence in the sample before extrapolating the result to the population…)

By Damion B

Jun 7, 2020

This course will help individual understand the basics of statistics. This is ideal for an individual who is about to write "board exams." Many of the terms explained will be met in your exams. These terms were excellently explored and a thorough understanding was acquired. The lecturer and his team structured the course in a way that knowledge was attained from basics to more complex terms. These terms were then explained starting from the primary components. Very easy to follow and a pleasure to be a participant. I encourage many of my colleagues, even those young researchers to be enrolled. Thank you and may you have a great experience.

By Rodrigo G M

Oct 13, 2019

Un excelente curso de inicio a la metodologia de la investigacion, donde necesitas pocas horas efectivas y la retencion es excelente una vez que inicias diariamente o por un periodo constante de tiempo, el esfuerzo es minimo y el entendimiento, reitero, es excelente, no va mas alla ni tiene la profundidad de un curso avanzado, sin embargo, estudiantes de medicina o recien iniciados en ciencias de la investigacion son bienvenidos en un curso de excelente talla, para los mas avanzados, les ayudara para quitar algunas dudas que hayan tenido desde la facultad. nunca es tarde para revisar este rapido, divertido, y util curso.

By Clare H

Jul 30, 2020

Maths is really not my strong point, yet Professor Juan Klopper explains the course content in an uncomplicated and understandable way. The use of video and reading notes helps set the topic and then cover in more detail. The weekly tests ensure you have understood the topic before moving on. The tests also explain why the question was right or wrong, again to help understand further. The whole course made me feel supported and I w and I am certainly better equipped to do a better job. Thankyou Dr Klopper for making it possible for me to finally have a better understanding the statistics in the literature.

By Radia S

Jun 1, 2020

This course was such a perfect and well-structured introduction to the statistical analysis that's done in clinical research papers. I appreciated the fact that the instructor also made sure we learned how to search for research articles efficiently, and tasked us with searching for our own examples which helped me in navigating research articles and picking out information even better. I am so happy to state that now I have a better and deeper understanding of the work that goes into a clinical research and now I won't just be skipping to the results section but actually understand the whole article.

By Marcella D P

This course is really good. It allows you to understand deeply the statistics behind the articles and results we have contact every day when studying. Also, gives you a hability very important nowadays: you become capable of reading articles and analyzing them, formulating you own opinion and judgement of what is being presented. And all of that in a intuitive way, based on science and good methods of statistical analysis. I consider this a fundamental hability, essentially when we are facing a pandemia like we are in this moment.

By Aravindan V

Feb 15, 2016

Superb Course!! A beautifully structured introduction to the statistics needed to understand clinical research. Please be warned that this is not a course devised to learn statistics or how to conduct clinical research. It is exactly what the title suggests, an overview of statistics used in clinical research and how to understand them. Dr.Juan Klopper is a great teacher and his videos are succinct and filled with nuggets of key concepts. I would strongly suggest this course for a deeper understanding of clinical statistics.

By ramani r

Jul 19, 2020

This is one of the best courses I have taken on coursera. This course will really help one to understand the nuances of clinical research by enabling a strong understanding of statistical concepts commonly used in this research. Dr. Juan is a great teacher and he takes you through different concepts in the clinical research by bringing on examples from published research articles and also highlights how these concepts were applied to conclude the results stated in the article.

Thanks alot Dr. Juan for this course

By Bikash B

Jun 27, 2020

Hi I am a clinical Pediatrician, working in a medical college in Nepal. During my undergraduate and postgraduate classes, I have faced many problems in reading the methodology and result sections. But now this wonderful course helped me understand the basic fundamentals of research and choosing appropriate statistical analysis. Now I can easily review the research articles. The mentor Juan H Klopper has been quite simple and has made this course quite easy to understand to all the newcomers in statistics.

By Noha A G

Jan 1, 2019

This is one of the most interesting courses on biomedical statistics. The course was explained in a beautiful way, very simple and easy. Examples were related to the daily medical field and clinical research. Professor Juan H Klopper is an amazing mentor. I loved everything about this course. Really understanding what is behind statistics without going through the hassle of mathematics that every researcher obviously hates ! I highly recommend this course for everyone who is involved in clinical research.

By Malaz A

Oct 31, 2019

a very beneficial course for medical researchers, it helped me get familiar with variable concepts of statistics without smothering me with mathematical jargon and mind fuzzing equations, it was simple easy to grasp and health profession-oriented. in this course, you'll have a better understanding of the statistical tools, figure out the right way to use them in analyzing data and getting reliable results. it also offers an explanation of how to interpret the results in a sophisticated way.

By Seethamraju S M K

Aug 15, 2018

i found this course very intuitive in leveraging the basic understanding of statistics and why a particular statistic is applied in clinical. The course is unique providing practical exposure in understanding the topics like fetching article in pubmed, p-value, need of central limit theorem, hypothesis testing, ANOVA, sensitivity and specificity analysis used by the authors. I am pretty sure i applied this course practically to my student in class and results are encouraging.

By Mykhailo T

May 1, 2020

A beautifully designed course that improved my ability to orient myself in the results section of biomedical papers. The course covers a lot of material and is focused on giving insights into general principles the what's and why's in statistical analysis. Therefore, I would recommend it to both students and researchers aspired to gain a better understanding of data analysis in medical research. Without correct data interpretation using statistics, it worths almost nothing.

By Frans U D

Dec 18, 2018

This is one of the best Online Course I have ever joined fully until completion.I absolutely recommend this course to my friends and anyone else in the area of Public Health, Medicine even Veterinary Medicine.There is so much to learn for so little time but Dr Juan is absolutely amazing in his way of handling this course that made it look simple and he has truly made it so much easier to comprehend. So much better than learning from Statistical textbooks

By Elisea A

May 4, 2020

I found it very useful to have written notes after the explain videos (since English is not my first language, sometimes it is easier for me to understand written things). Also, I think that the exams were very accurate to test my knowledge since all the questions were applied to practice and not just theory questions. I think that now I definitely have a better understanding of the papers I read. The most important topics were covered in this course.

By Diego E

Apr 5, 2020

An excellent course, definitely the perfect introduction to understand the methodology in medicine and dentistry journals. It´s also a course that motivates you to delve into the beautiful field of statistics.

Un curso excelente, definitivamente es la introducción perfecta para entender, de mejor manera, la metodología investigativa en publicaciones periódicas, además es un curso que motiva a profundizar en el bello campo de la estadística.

By Antimo M C

Dec 15, 2017

A thoughtful organization of theoretical knowledge in reasoned lessons that are masterfully performed by an excellent teacher who leads you through the study of Statistics from a very initial understanding of it until its practical implementation. And the icing on the cake... this knowledge is put into practice also making students compare each other while actually let them grow by increasing their awareness towards themselves and the topic.

By Sohaib A

Feb 14, 2020

Dr. Juan Klopper provided concise information in an engaging manner that enabled me to finally understand clinical research. I appreciate his gentle teaching style, and the overall self-pacing system of this program. Keep on doing the good work, sir. This is one course that I would definitely recommend to my peers, so that they also may develop the same understanding of this crucial subject as Dr. Klopper enabled me to. Thank you.

By Misbah T

Mar 9, 2020

After completing the course, I've seen a significant difference in understanding of statistics. I used to skip the section of the statistical analysis in every research paper because the names of the test always goes over my head. Now I can confidently correlate the statistical findings with the given data in the research paper. Thank you Dr. Jaun Klopper for all the valuable information. This course is tremendous.

By Jimena A P

Jun 23, 2020

Me encantó no sólo repasé conceptos básicos de estadística, sino también aprendí nuevos conceptos que nunca entendía cuando leía artículos científicos en investigación con humanos. Está muy intuitivo y simple lo que te permite aprender la información y no olvidar detalles. Lo único que mejoraría es un poco la ortografía y la redacción ya que solían haber varios errores que llegaron a confundirme en algunos temas.

By Anna K

Nov 4, 2019

The course is very helpful to those who work in clinical trials but do not have a mathematical background. I am a former biology student, we had a course in biostatistics. Many subjects were similar, but we were never given examples from clinical trials. It was great to have this refresher course and deepen my knowledge in clinical statistics. I am very grateful to the creators of this course. Thank you!

By Coby S

Apr 25, 2017

The course has addressed all the fundamentals and has given me direction and the information I required as a person that is not in the medical field, making it easy for further research. Some additional numerical examples in the keynotes would have added great value. The use of actual journal articles added a practical twist to the theory and applications of statistics. I am proud te be South Afriv

By Mohammed B

Nov 5, 2018

This is a great course for workers in the medical field and health sciences, it assumes no prior knowledge in statistics and proceeds with step by step intuitive explanation of concepts with virtually no math. It has great optional practical videos on how to search for papers online and how to do statistical tests using spreadsheets software. It is quite through in scope, recommend it strongly.

By Nivedha M S

Jul 4, 2020

This is one of the best courses available on Coursera to understand Statistics. Thanks to Prof. Juan Klopper for this amazing course. The assignments especially were really useful. This is a very engaging course and any learner would definitely stay motivated until the end. I would also like to appreciate the high-quality content and the ease with which it was explained. Thank you so much!

By Priscila d S N

Aug 6, 2019

The course highlights the most important concepts on statistics for students beginning in Health research, helping us interpret the data in published papers. We also learn to decide which tests to choose when analyzing our data. As a bonus, we end up curious about how to calculate the statistics - and I've heard when a class gives you more questions than answers, so it's reached its goals.