Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

CC

Jun 05, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

OS

Sep 19, 2019

This course would be most useful to the participant if pursued within a short time-frame, of maximum of 6 weeks. Both lecturers were clear and good communicators. I would take more of their classes.

26 - 50 of 429 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Andreu

Oct 17, 2019

Excellent training to get a good understanding of Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials very well organised, easy to follow by watching videos along with their transcript so I could compliment images and summary slides with detailed explanations of teacher.

You can also re-schedule the timelines as it better suits you.

I will continue training with Johns Hopkins University for sure.

By ARPIT M

May 03, 2020

the best thing about this course was the quiz at the end of each week. It was so deep and tricky that you cant crack if you were not engaged in the lecture completely. these days, such online courses have become away just to earn certificates with the easy assignment but definitely it was a different experience. I am glad that I found this course.

By Gabriel S

Feb 18, 2017

This course offers a broad, honest and critical view on the production and evaluation of RCTs. It is a useful introduction to the theme, although a small background may be required for full exploitation of its resources. I would highly recommend it for any student or professional in health care - being you directly involved with research or not.

By Douglas V T

Feb 22, 2017

Excellent course. It made me not only get a better understanding on topics i've seen scarcely prior, but also contributed to a solid theoretical basis in the field of clinical trials. Special attention to the first week of the course should be given, since it provides one of the best explanations about study design i've seen so far.

By Lucía

Dec 08, 2019

I did like the course and it is quite useful for me at this moment. The length of the videos were mostly good, although some were a little bit too long; anyway that was ok because there was a clear concept and the rest of the video content were examples to illustrate it. I guess it is very basic, so it was exaclty what I needed.

By Do H L

May 22, 2016

A rare course in clinical trials, and also a good one.

Strongly recommend for those interested in clinical research!

There's a reason why Bloomberg school of public health is one of the best healthcare research institution in the world. It is very fortunate to learn from such expertise in clinical research through this course.

By Maria G

Jun 04, 2017

I've taken a couple of courses in Coursera and this was the best one so far! The lectures are engaging, clear and comprehensive, and the discussion prompts very useful. I would certainly take an advance course and recommend this one to all those interested in learning more on how clinical trials are designed and reported.

By Sergio A S A

May 09, 2020

Even though some previous knowledge is required, I think it will be a very useful program for all of those who are in one way or another involved in the world of clinical trials. It made me understand better many things in my current job that I was just passing by without knowing what was happening on the other side.

By Jesse

Aug 02, 2019

Very thorough and engaging course. Sometimes the information is a little complicated, but the professors are clear and efficient in their explanations so the material is always "doable." The videos were engaging and the few readings were very interesting. Overall a great course with a lot of thought put behind it.

By jiaqi z

Jun 08, 2019

This course is really helpful for me to learn the structure of clinical trials. I think it`s appropriate for people who have some experiences in clinical trials and the materials would be more helpful. If you want to learn statistics with respect to clinical trials, I don`t think this course is a good fit for it.

By Mhd Y Y

Jan 07, 2018

It's a very good course to learn basic information about design and interpretation of clinical trials; however, it would be much useful if it included more details about the studies designs and outcome analysing. But in general, it's a valuable and necessary course to take. Thank you very much dear professors.

By Arkar H M

Apr 21, 2020

Very well explained lectures. I could really refresh my knowledge about these topics which I studied during my preparations for USMLE exams. This course explains in depth about certain topics which I didn't cover in that depth during my USMLE preparations. I am really thankful that I could join this course.

By Paulius P

Jul 15, 2019

In the tests, when you get the wrong answer it would be nice to get the reason why is that wrong. Sometimes it is obvious, other times not su much. Apart from this little nitpick, I really liked the lectures and the structure. The course provides enough background to continue on reading/studying the topic.

By RODOLFO V D

Jan 10, 2020

Excelente curso acerca del diseño de ensayos clínicos. Se podría considerar como un curso inicial para adentrarse al mundo de la investigación. No se toman en consideraciones nociones de bio-estadística, por lo cual habría que complementarlo con otro curso para hacer el conocimiento de mas global..

By NevineTaymour

Jul 15, 2019

This a top high quality well organized course. It helps many researchers in the medical and dental fields understand the designs of clinical trials and different ways of interpretation. It also help researchers understand the key strengths of clinical trials and observational studies.

By Muhammad K H

Nov 09, 2017

Very good course. Did it at my pace - though not a fast one but could finish it eventually. Will help me in my professional life. Thanks to coursera for launching a course like this for people like me who cannot afford a regular or dedicated time due to professional commitments.

By Ramya B

Feb 03, 2018

Firstly, I would like to thank both the professors for their valuable lectures.

I was particularly looking for the basics of clinical trial and this course has covered most of its information.

I would highly recommend this anyone looking for the knowledge in clinical trial.

By Kevin R M

Feb 03, 2020

Excellent course for me, as I'm a pharmacist, I'm working in clinical research area and I was looking for acquiring more knoledges and reinforme my previous knowledges regarding clinical trials, I'm gonna llok for more courses regarding clinical trials.

By Ana G O H

Dec 09, 2019

Lo bastante simple para ser accesible aunque hayan pasado años desde la última clase de estadística o investitación, pero lo bastante complejo y sistemático para valer la pena de ser revisado. Realmente aporta conocimiento importante en el área.

By Tiago V

Jun 05, 2017

Even if some of the topics might be considered "heavy" and boring, the organisers and presenters of this course made sure that everything was easy to understand.

Overall: Very useful for future work and topics were presented in an interesting way.

By Miguel C d B

Dec 12, 2017

Great course - lectures well done. I loved the last last lecture and just wished there was more of the comparisons they drew between studies to bring the point home. Its always good to see good and bad studies to understand flaws and strengths.

By Austin E

Aug 03, 2020

Very helpful for learning practicals of why studies are designed certain ways, and how to understand and extrapolate from the research to determine if this research is actually helpful for advising the treatment of our patients in front of us.

By Tina

May 24, 2017

Great starting point, offers fundamental knowledge on clinical trials design and interpretation, gets you familiar with the terminology and arouses interest for more information on this very interesting and exciting topic. Excellent course!

By Luisa F D B

I think this course was really helpful for me, I am doing my Ph.D. and I have to carry a functional food clinical trial and this course helped me a lot with insights about the basic aspects and design of clinical trials

By Hannah K M L

May 01, 2020

I learned a lot about clinical trials! I used to be a lab specialist for CTs and know I have a better understanding of the terms that had been quite vague to me before! I am happy I took the time to learn this course!