Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

CC

Jun 05, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

JQ

Oct 26, 2019

Excellent beginner course on design and interpretation of clinical trials, complements a lot of what I reviewed on my classes and I would like to take a more advanced course on the topic. Thank you.

101 - 125 of 481 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Christopher D

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course for those in the healthcare and pharma background. It helps a lot when you refer to research papers which include a clinical trial aspect.

By RAMANI V D

Jun 02, 2020

This course is well design to get through understanding about clinical trials. I really enjoyed the quiz part, which was thought provoking and well planed.

By Hoang B L

Apr 16, 2018

The knowledge you'll learn and obtain in this course is rich and very helpful. Please spend time watching the videos and reviewing the materials carefully.

By Luísa S N d S

Jan 16, 2018

Good, didactic material. I liked the discussion part because it allowed us to reflect upon the things we've just learned and apply them to our backgrounds.

By SWAROOP G M

May 08, 2020

This was my first course in coursera and i understood the basics of the course. The concepts were well explained with related examples and case studies.

By Veeranna

Aug 28, 2019

The course gave me the exposure to CONSORT guidelines, different types of study designs which is very helpful for my Clinical Research profession.

Thanks

By Dr N G

May 12, 2018

The course is excellent. However, I feel, it shall also incorporate issues like protocol designing, case record form designing, sample size calculations

By Roopam D

The reading materials were very useful and the lectures were highly informative. The assessments were very simple. I was expecting trickier questions.

By William B S

Jul 10, 2016

This was a great introduction to Clinical Trials. I would recommend taking a statistics refresher before this course if you haven't had one recently.

By Sadeekah I

Aug 02, 2019

it was a really good and informative course , however I a struggling to retrieve my certificate

Alternative email- Sadeeka.ismail@hiv-research.org.za

By Ulrike W

Apr 14, 2017

A nice and succinct overview. Even though I was able to get a full score on most quizzes before watching the videos, I still learned something new.

By Divya C

Aug 22, 2020

I have learned to a great extent as i wanted.I would recommend everybody to learn from course era if somebody is eager to learn some good courses.

By Lara V G

Dec 07, 2018

A very informative and interesting course. Despite the complexity of some issues, they manage to explain them in an understandable way. Thank you!

By Rodrigo P

Dec 11, 2018

Amazing course. They discuss basic principles and provide some insights about complex ones too. I'm loving it! Thanks for setting up this course.

By Rosana M N C S

Aug 25, 2016

The course gives a great introduction to the design of clinical trials. It is very useful for people starting to approach this field of studies.

By TRAN B T

May 21, 2018

This is good course, which provides very basic and fundamental of clinical trials. I strongly recommend for whom interest in clinical research.

By 王颖

Jun 01, 2019

Excellent courses. Very informative and organized lectures. I would like to learn more on data analysis, non-inferiority design and etc.

By Gerda S

Mar 27, 2018

Very good explanation of design and study types. It is helpful for my work. The tests are great and good to understand. Thanks a lot for

By Trija V

Jul 17, 2017

This course gives a good description and a detailed overview on the statistics used in clinical trials. The lectures are easy to follow.

By Alain V M

Aug 22, 2020

I was able to deepen notions that I had worked on by myself.

The speakers are impressive in their knowledge.

A thousand times bravo

Alain

By Antonio G

Nov 15, 2016

Muy buen curso, utilizare todos los conocimeintos obtenidos para el bienestar de mis pacientes, muchas gracias por la ayuda economica.

By Jane C

Apr 13, 2020

Great - very interesting, would love to see something that addresses phase 1 (safety trials) and how they are designed and evaluated.

By Uzoma O N

Nov 09, 2017

This course was exceptionally educative, short time but the information was packed full, thank you for putting together this course

By Gulam M A K

Apr 12, 2017

Excellent course. I would recommend this course for everyone who are interested and don't have the opportunity at their institute.

By Werner S

Jun 21, 2020

Excellent and structured introduction with a lot of new information, even though I am working in the field since quite some time.