Back to Cloud Computing Concepts, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cloud Computing Concepts, Part 1 by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Cloud computing systems today, whether open-source or used inside companies, are built using a common set of core techniques, algorithms, and design philosophies – all centered around distributed systems. Learn about such fundamental distributed computing "concepts" for cloud computing. Some of these concepts include: clouds, MapReduce, key-value/NoSQL stores, classical distributed algorithms, widely-used distributed algorithms, scalability, trending areas, and much, much more! Know how these systems work from the inside out. Get your hands dirty using these concepts with provided homework exercises. In the programming assignments, implement some of these concepts in template code (programs) provided in the C++ programming language. Prior experience with C++ is required. The course also features interviews with leading researchers and managers, from both industry and academia....

MR

Jul 16, 2017

Great course, I would recommend to everyone who wants to understand the basics of cloud computing. The course material is excellent, the instructor Indy is phenomenal and the exams are marvelous.

DP

Oct 07, 2016

This instructor is fantastic. He is exceptionally thorough and his delivery is very good as well. This is a course definitely worth taking if you are interested in learning more about the cloud.

26 - 50 of 193 Reviews for Cloud Computing Concepts, Part 1

By Pablo T

Jun 09, 2016

The material is covered in depth and clearly, the content is very current while still covering the historic origins and the development of the current state fo the art. It comes with evaluations that are not aimed towards memorization, but rather towards understanding the subject. As a cherry on top, they allow you to take a verified certificate towards credit on the Masters degree.

By Girish C

Jun 12, 2016

Cloud computing course provides an overview of the concepts of distributed processing. The algorithms behind real world distributed applications are well explained. The video lectures and quiz questions on various distributed protocols provide insights into the working of these systems. Highly recommended. Thanks Prof. Indranil Gupta and the Coursera community!!

By Vaibhav A

Feb 25, 2018

The course was quite enjoyable, I love the assignment part I wish it was in Java. Struggled with the C++ memory manipulation part of the algorithm which was nothing to do with the actual implementation, having not coded in C++ over a decade was reason for the struggle. Overall all quizzes and final assignment was both challenging and enjoyable.

By Esteban L

Nov 14, 2018

Excellent course. I'm looking forward to continuing in this specialization.

Do read the description of the course carefully before starting. It is not for beginners. However, if you can program in C or C++ and have a solid computer science background (Bachelor's degree or equivalent), this course will be quite easy.

By Hugo G

Apr 15, 2017

Everything was really well explained, quizzes are hard as they need to be, but not impossible and the instructor has a really good personality.

The only "bad" thing was the programming assigment. It was really hard (but again, possible) and the specifications were poor.

In general, a five star course.

By jingjing L

Jun 29, 2016

a very good course for cloud study. the content is colorful , a lot of examples to support deep understanding of the concepts. The biggest drawback is that maybe there can be some small programming assignment after each week's course. And the standard answers of the Week5 quizz have some bugs.

By Monika S

Dec 11, 2016

The course is worthwhile. The instructor explained the concept clearly in engaging way that I rarely found on Coursera. The most I liked is the design of assignments. As well as, it has some interviews of academics and professionals which shapes your thoughts very well.

By 吕斯哲

Jan 21, 2018

It's a well organized course which makes me rebuilt my knowledge base. I've read parts of the concepts during my past work, but most of them confused me. This course gives me a "aha" moments to pick all the fracture parts together. I'll follow the next courses.

By Abhisek J

Aug 10, 2016

Very well taught, easy to understand. The questions in the exams have been very thoughtfully selected, one must pay attention to the content and understand the concept. Going to remember the concepts for long time after watching & listing the tutorials.

By Qi W

Mar 30, 2019

Interesting and challenging programming assignment. I like to topics this course goes through: membership protocol, snapshot, CAP, and Paxos. I would highly recommend people who are interested in distributed system take this course.

By Djiofack I

Oct 17, 2016

I am giving a 5 starts because I really enjoyed the course and I learned a lot. but to be honest I almost gave up. The programming assignment is a little bit frustrating since there is really not help and not much guidance.

By Felipe N F

Mar 06, 2019

Amazing, very rich content, it allows you to go deep in understanding distributed systems. May be a hard course if you are just looking to understand cloud computing superficially, and much more if you don't know C++.

By Vinh Q T

Aug 22, 2016

Very useful course. It built my Cloud Computing basis from scratch. Fisrt course gives me the enthusiasm to start the later ones. A good place for studying and sharing with course mates. Thank you!

By Dave P

Oct 07, 2016

By Miklós A R

Jul 16, 2017

By Sajjan B

Sep 07, 2016

Great Course! A little more contents regarding the Programming Assignment would have made it even better. I'd like to thank the entire Team for making this wonderful course. :)

By Prashanth

Aug 01, 2018

I wish there was a text book we could refer to. Also I wish there were more concepts from real world architectures as well :)This course is already great though

By Ted T

Aug 10, 2016

The best open course topic I have ever seen. It's very helpful for career development to go into the technical details of all modern cloud technology trend!!!

By Rodrigo M

Apr 14, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. The topics discussed by professor are interesting and build the base to understand many current systems we use nowadays.

By Aditya K

Jun 09, 2018

Liked the course very much. Only suggestion is if the speaker could speak a little slower. This will allow the listener to think alongside.

By Anakot K R

Dec 24, 2017

Enjoyed the course. Brought back my ability to program in c++. The programming assignment was sufficiently challenging to achieve that.

By Lee F

Feb 08, 2019

This is one of the best internals courses I have taken. If you want to understand the cloud at the protocol level, take this course!

By Shambhu R

Aug 08, 2016

Professor Indranil Gupta is apt in his explanations.

Course Material is highly relevant. Good foundation course for cloud computing.

By Pradeep K T

Dec 06, 2016

Great course giving very good basics. The questions were also challenging and ensured that we go through the content in earnest

By Shehenaz S

Mar 26, 2019

Good details on concepts. Revised it multiple times. Crash course on distributed systems. Thank you for offering, Professor.