Back to U101: Understanding College and College Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for U101: Understanding College and College Life by University of Washington

College can be confusing and intimidating, but U101 can help. If you were just admitted to college and are nervous about what the next step in life might look like, this course is for you. If you are the parent of a newly admitted college student and curious about what college life is like, this course is also for you. While your specific college will, no doubt, provide additional orientation material, we wanted to give some basic information about what life might be like at a large American University. You might be years away from college or enrolled right now; either way, U101 has some excellent advice from college students, professors, administrators, and staff. At the conclusion of the course, learners should: 1. Understand the basics of how colleges and universities operate. 2. Identify and describe what faculty are looking for in college-level academic work. 3. List some effective study strategies. 4. Identify some strategies for exploring and selecting a major. 5. Identify the various types of grants and scholarships available and describe the steps involved in applying to these. 6. Discuss the college life, with special attention to the benefits/limitations of living on or off campus. 7. Identify some strategies for getting the most out of campus life activities (investigating student clubs, fraternities, sororities, etc.). The course is divided into 4 weeks/8 lessons, which provide an overview of the different aspects of college life. If you were just watching the videos and looking at some of the links, the whole course would take about 4-5 hours. Week 1 Lesson 1. Welcome to U101! Lesson 2. Understanding the Nature of College Week 2 Lesson 3. Succeeding as a Student Lesson 4. Building Your Major Week 3 Lesson 5. Financing Your Education Lesson 6. Living On and Off Campus Week 4 Lesson 7. Getting Involved in Campus Life Lesson 8. Conclusion Please join us for a short exploration of modern American Colleges. Hopefully, this course can help demystify your upcoming college experience....

CE

Jan 06, 2018

The information provided throughout each video was very helpful. Navigating college can feel overwhelming, but there were a lot of useful tips on how to feel more confident while succeeding in school.

ME

Mar 30, 2017

Amazing course. It helps you understand college life and how college works. And gives you tips on how to get the most out of college. Definitely recommend it, specially for international students.

26 - 37 of 37 Reviews for U101: Understanding College and College Life

By Tony L

Aug 16, 2016

I'm already graduated from undergraduate, but I'm applying graduate degree in UW.

It is a double-degree program with THU, I'm eager to study in UW - it is my dream school.

Thank you for giving us this wonderful class

By Mandy S

Oct 07, 2016

This was a fantastic overview of how college works. I highly recommend this course to high school seniors and their parents to better understand the basics of what going to college is all about and the variety of experiences one can have in such a uniquer setting.

By Diekett A A

Jul 11, 2018

I really appreciate to learn how to be successful in college with this course.

By Hekma A

May 17, 2019

I took this course and I'm in my last year in college because I never had a chance to learn about college life up until now, I started on 23 August last year and I didn't have a chance to finish it up until this month

so thank you for giving me a chance to learn again, its never too late to take this course

By Sumika M

Jun 20, 2019

It was well-organized to get ready for college life.

By Jionghao L

Jun 10, 2016

You can find your object in this course, but this course is too platitude to make me feel boring...

By Thamara

Jul 06, 2018

It doesn’t cover community college. Only big universities.

By Linda

May 25, 2019

Very helpful for new students

By Lisa

Feb 08, 2016

I've been to college, so I'm not the target audience for this course, but I was curious to see what would be covered and to learn more about colleges today. I felt the course covered mostly simplistic, obvious stuff and left out a lot that many students wonder about.

One topic that was covered was the different activities of professors. I wished I'd known more about this when I started college. Of course I knew they did research, but I thought they were primarily there to teach. This is true at some colleges, but at others, the amount and quality of research can determine whether a professor gets to continue working there and reach tenure. So teaching may not be the first priority for some professors. Students may find that chunks of courses are devoted to a professor's research interests, which could enrich or derail the course. This could have been covered in more depth.

Other things that could have been covered: why some courses are so large and the function of recitation sections and graduate teaching fellows for those and smaller courses; what a seminar is; the existence of course reviews that can help with selecting classes and professors; how to deal with not getting into a course you really need to take (wait lists, professorial overrides, etc.); when pre-requisite courses are really necessary and when they're just recommended; dropping courses; GRADES (how the college grading system works, what happens when you fail a course, academic probation, earning honors); campus codes of conduct (greater freedom as with class attendance; smoking and drinking rules, harassment policies) and disciplinary actions (disciplinary probation, expulsion); good campus activities for shy students.

By MUHAMMAD Z A F

Aug 23, 2019

helpful for new students, not more :)

By Sebastian R

Feb 21, 2019

I was forced to do this.