Back to U101: Understanding College and College Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for U101: Understanding College and College Life by University of Washington

College can be confusing and intimidating, but U101 can help. If you were just admitted to college and are nervous about what the next step in life might look like, this course is for you. If you are the parent of a newly admitted college student and curious about what college life is like, this course is also for you. While your specific college will, no doubt, provide additional orientation material, we wanted to give some basic information about what life might be like at a large American University. You might be years away from college or enrolled right now; either way, U101 has some excellent advice from college students, professors, administrators, and staff. At the conclusion of the course, learners should: 1. Understand the basics of how colleges and universities operate. 2. Identify and describe what faculty are looking for in college-level academic work. 3. List some effective study strategies. 4. Identify some strategies for exploring and selecting a major. 5. Identify the various types of grants and scholarships available and describe the steps involved in applying to these. 6. Discuss the college life, with special attention to the benefits/limitations of living on or off campus. 7. Identify some strategies for getting the most out of campus life activities (investigating student clubs, fraternities, sororities, etc.). The course is divided into 4 weeks/8 lessons, which provide an overview of the different aspects of college life. If you were just watching the videos and looking at some of the links, the whole course would take about 4-5 hours. Week 1 Lesson 1. Welcome to U101! Lesson 2. Understanding the Nature of College Week 2 Lesson 3. Succeeding as a Student Lesson 4. Building Your Major Week 3 Lesson 5. Financing Your Education Lesson 6. Living On and Off Campus Week 4 Lesson 7. Getting Involved in Campus Life Lesson 8. Conclusion Please join us for a short exploration of modern American Colleges. Hopefully, this course can help demystify your upcoming college experience....

CE

Jan 5, 2018

The information provided throughout each video was very helpful. Navigating college can feel overwhelming, but there were a lot of useful tips on how to feel more confident while succeeding in school.

ME

Mar 29, 2017

Amazing course. It helps you understand college life and how college works. And gives you tips on how to get the most out of college. Definitely recommend it, specially for international students.

101 - 122 of 122 Reviews for U101: Understanding College and College Life

By Pamela A T

May 18, 2021

I thought it was really useful for anyone who is preparing to go to school or is already there but maybe having a tough time figuring out how college works. The only thing I can critique is most of the links in the "resources" lists at the end of each week are broken, and no longer link to what you intended. I fully intend to get both of my kids to do this class, though! Thank you.

By Helen

Oct 2, 2020

Great! Despite that Im a second year student. Course gives you good impression of life in university. BUT I think it is more related to American universities. I'm Russian and some tips and advices didn't suit for our educational system, but course was useful anyway. Thanks. I'll recommend it to 1st year students

By Ben

Aug 12, 2020

It's very informative, there's lots of stuff I didn't know about and I think it got me better prepared for college life. This way I won't have to find out everything I just learned from here during my future study.

By Jennifer L

Jul 17, 2020

I am currently a sophomore in HIghschool, I took this course to have a better understanding of college culture. Even though this course is primarily based on college, I still have grasped a few new learnings.

By Jionghao L

Jun 9, 2016

You can find your object in this course, but this course is too platitude to make me feel boring...

By Kandis B

Jul 1, 2020

Informed me a lot about Information I wouldn't even think to ask. Thank you!

By Tarun T

Jun 10, 2020

Very nice course, only that it doesn't provide any certificate perhaps!

By Bianca C

Jan 17, 2021

Has a mix of helpful information and also other background knowledge.

By mara G

Jul 5, 2018

It doesn’t cover community college. Only big universities.

By Linda

May 24, 2019

Very helpful for new students

By Hasib U

Oct 19, 2020

nice

By DR.KANNAN.N C

Aug 31, 2020

good

By Sonu k p

Apr 26, 2020

Good

By MUHAMMAD Z A F

Aug 23, 2019

helpful for new students, not more :)

By Ms.Reshma S G

Aug 1, 2020

Bad...give free certificates

By Sebastian R

Feb 21, 2019

I was forced to do this.

By Sarang A