Back to American Contract Law I

American Contract Law I, Yale University

About this Course

American Contract Law I (along with its sister course Contracts II) provides a comprehensive overview of contract law in the United States. The course covers most of the key concepts found in a first year law school class. Each lecture is based on one or more common-law cases, integrating legal doctrines with policy discussions. The course also covers key sections from the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), which governs the sale of goods. By the end of the course, the learner should be able to understand: Formation: how a valid and enforceable contract is created, including concepts such as offer, acceptance, consideration, and promissory estoppel....

By EE

Apr 07, 2019

Very informative and basic knowledge of the American Legal system, a 'bit' different from the Code Napoleon. Enjoyed learning your course which I highly recommended.

By UA

Apr 16, 2019

Excellent professor with detailed but understandable explanations of sometimes, complex topics. Highly recommended.

15 Reviews

By Tenisha Younger

Apr 17, 2019

This course is informative,indepth, exciting and interesting. Dr. Ian Ayers plays a pivotal role as law professor. I am honored to have taken this eye-opening course and I look forward to taking American Law Part II. One of my favorite parts of this class was providing research for the cases. T. Younger

T. Dyanne Younger

By Umer Ahmad

By Luciana Souza

Apr 16, 2019

Outstanding course, really excellent! Very happy for this opportunity and strongly recommend taking this course.

By Nelida Kreer

Apr 12, 2019

The course allowed me to acquire concepts on contract formation, valid offers, the extent of consideration as a contractual element, notions of default and mandatory provisions, the different scenarios that may play to allege promissory estoppel, through the analysis of famous cases and renowned judges' findings. All of it engagingly explained by the instructor in videos. I found the readings a bit long and convoluted, not per se but maybe due to my own personal circumstances. It would perhaps be useful if the end-of-module questionnaires could have links to the relevant cases so that one could consult or revisit the case in question before answering, when in doubt, without leaving the questionnaire form. Otherwise, a good foundation to understand the ins and outs of contract law.

By E

Apr 07, 2019

By Sylvanius Bell

Apr 01, 2019

I am suspicious of your test. They re not always truthful.

By Peter Christiansen

Mar 31, 2019

I was hoping for a course like this when I completed the toolkit course. Now it is here and it is excellent!

By Xi Cheng

Mar 24, 2019

Interesting course and I learned a lot of contract law. However I do wish if there is basic structure on contract law before the cases so that students can map out a path to learn.

Thank you very much Ary.

By Tafadzwa Nesongano

Mar 24, 2019

Best course ever

By Dmitriy Klevtsov

Mar 21, 2019

It is an invaluable course. It teaches the basics of contracting required for a decent citizen to respect personal as well as others rights. If want to know when your promise can cause legal consequences or learn the discipline of reading your mail and take actions to decline unwanted terms and conditions imposed by others then GO AHEAD!!!