Back to Corporate Finance I: Measuring and Promoting Value Creation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Corporate Finance I: Measuring and Promoting Value Creation by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course you will learn how to use key finance principles to understand and measure business success and to identify and promote true value creation. You will learn how to use accounting information to form key financial ratios to measure a company’s financial health and to manage a company's short-term and long-term liquidity needs. You will also learn how to use valuation techniques to make sound business investment and acquisition decisions. Finally, you will learn how to incorporate risk and uncertainty into investment decisions and how to evaluate the performance of existing investments. Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to: • Understand how companies make investment decisions that create value for shareholders • Use accounting statements to measure the financial health of a company • Forecast and manage a company’s short- and long-term liquidity needs • Measure the contribution of a new project or acquisition to shareholder value • Incorporate risk into investment decisions using the appropriate discount rates • Evaluate the performance of a company or divisions of a company This course was previously entitled Financial Evaluation and Strategy: Corporate Finance. The course received an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 based on 177 reviews over the period of September 2015 through August 2016. A detailed breakdown of ratings and reviews received for the prior version of the course, which is identical in content to the current course, is provided in the course orientation page. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

Feb 09, 2020

I found this course to be engaging and interesting. The content was explained well. I greatly appreciate what I have learned from this course, and feel it will be helpful in my future endeavors.

AS

Jun 12, 2019

An excellent course and probably one of the finest on offer. Valuable learnings even for finance professionals like me. Highly recommended for all management students and managers.

1 - 25 of 71 Reviews for Corporate Finance I: Measuring and Promoting Value Creation

By Amitkumar

Sep 12, 2017

A person like me who has always worked on engineering side, this course has been a great value to me in learning the first principals of corporate finance. The activities, especially when combined with Compass activities, allowed me to get greater insights on how companies operate.

Getting ready for the 2nd part!

Thank you! Professor Almeida.

By ARVIND K S

Jun 12, 2019

By Sudhan K

Feb 12, 2019

In-depth content covering very broad areas of Corporate Finance. Specially the honors assignment makes you think of different scenarios which really makes it interesting and fun.

By Andras I

Feb 04, 2020

This is a good introductory course to Corporate Finance, the last subject in the Financial Management Specialisation.

A good investment of time and energy with a few caveats:

- Compared to the other 2 subjects (Financial Accounting, Investments), it will require much more time and effort to finish:

I think around 10 hours per week is a good approximation, instead of the specified 2-4 hours (see later)

- I definitely recommend the Ivo Welch book used for recommended reading - but this will take up the time like I mentioned before. It's not necessary to pass but it's important to get a more round picture. The course doesn't follow the order of the book, jumps around quite a lot, still lines up quite well.

- The honors assigmnents are worth the time, make you think in a more organic way than quizzes that tend to be more mechanical.

- Even though it's not mentioned in the requirements, it's definitely useful to take the Investments course first. Or at least have an idea about financial markets, investment instruments (bonds, futures, stocks), some portfolio theory and CAPM. Actually Week4 of that course is a peek into Corporate Finance and I find it a very efficient bridge.

- Once you're done and still have time/crave more, go on Youtube and find Aswath Damodaran's corporate finance lectures (Harvard). It will add another level of understanding

By José T

Feb 14, 2017

I am part of the iMBA program so my opinion might be a bit biased, but it was precisely because of courses like this one that I decided to be part of the program. Excellent value, the Coursera content is at graduate level, with plenty of practice material and use of real life data. The four honors assignments and additional readings allow to adjust for the level of engagement you want/need.

By Gaurav S

Sep 17, 2017

I loved this course. There is so much details and information and clearly defined. Challenging quizzes and assignments. Live Sessions with professor are great too. He is very nice and clearly answered all the questions. There is absolutely no book required when taking this course!

By Jafed E

Jul 06, 2019

By John P C

Nov 01, 2019

I like the modular approach of learning. Each practice quiz and honor assigment is very important in learning. This process helps inculcate the learning in the Corporate Finance.

Thanks for this course.

By Stephen S

Feb 09, 2020

By Joe F

Feb 04, 2019

Great course! I felt that I learned quite a bit. My undergrad is Finance and I feel that this course covered more topics and in more depth than my previous university studies.

By Kazuma K

Jun 13, 2019

Very good. Much better than other corporate finance courses you can find on coursera.

Materials cover a broad range of topics and the explanation is clear and consise.

By Feng X

Feb 04, 2019

The finance series are some of the best business classes I have taken. Professor Almeida does a fantastic job in teaching Corporate Finance. Highly recommended!

By Olatunde O

Feb 12, 2019

Very impressive course with immediate applicable knowledge. I will be using NPV to calculate everything including whether to get Solar for my home or not ;).

By Mindy

Dec 04, 2017

This course provides an effective overview of Financial analysis methods in a way that drives contextual understanding and application. Highly Recommended.

By Joseph E

Jan 22, 2019

Very practical and engaging topics, some question errors need addressing but minor changes to avoid wasted time on an overall fantastic course!

By Gracelyn N W

May 10, 2019

The course is well a positive challenge as well as a great one

It was the best challenge

On to the next with much enthusiasm

Be blessed

By Fang S

May 27, 2018

very practical stuff. However, I think Course 5 & 6 should be placed before Course 3 & 4 because financial valuation come before investment.

By Michael G

Mar 04, 2019

Great Course the teacher is great and he is very dynamic. I am a CFO and I felt I still learned new things from this course.

By Anuar

Feb 08, 2019

Great course! Everything is understandable and easy to learn. I feel so excited about my new knowledge after this course.

By Subhodeep B

Sep 14, 2017

Great course. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenging and yet interesting Corporate Finance concepts.

By Atul K

Apr 08, 2018

Course was very interesting. The syllabus was itself a lot so that it gets easier tot understand

By Subrat G

l

l

e

n

t course for corporate finance. The professor is great. I highly recommend this course.

By Ann M

Jul 06, 2018

Great course and instructor. Learned a lot that I believe will help me on the CFA exam.

By Michael E

Mar 14, 2017

A lot of information in a short period but well done, I enjoyed the experience.

By Noman M A

Oct 08, 2017

An excellent course being thought by one of the best professors on finance