Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

BM

Nov 05, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

LB

Nov 16, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

251 - 275 of 640 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Natalia G

Sep 28, 2017

Thank you. This was very helpful in getting me unstuck in the novel I am writing. There's still a lot for me to practice but this helped me massively! I hope I do get to finish and publish my novel. And when I do, I would love to thank you guys and Brando in my acknowledgments. This is a great course because plot is my ultimate weakness. This helped me understand the basics and helped me have a better concept for my novel. Thank you again!

By Paul M

Nov 13, 2016

This course filled in the blanks for me as a writer. I love the way it is delivered and presented by Brando.

Thank you.

By Jeannette D

Dec 13, 2016

I had a dream , but always bushed it back ' writing novels; i had a false assumption about fiction. this course help me to see myself writing .

By Camila S M

Jun 23, 2017

Good introduction to craft of plot.

By Rabi I

Oct 17, 2017

I learned a lot. Useful exercises. Easy to follow. Right pace. Great value.

By Alice H

Feb 16, 2017

I liked that the bulk of time spent was practicing writing. I learned many things like the elements of a strong scene, how setting plays a role, and the 5-act structure of a story.

By Jazzi B

Jan 24, 2017

The course is excellent! It definitely helps writers in taking the story from their minds to paper, using methods to keep the reader's attention.

By M.Hussain P

Nov 10, 2017

it was really useful for me. thanks for everything

By sebastien m

Jul 22, 2017

There was a lot of great information on this course, so I recommend taking notes. The only down side to this was there is no way of contending a zero mark from peers who do not have good English skills or even a knowledge of how to critique. I had a perfectly good piece which I spent a whole day on working out intricate rhetoric and correct structure, which failed. The peers who failed me said they could not understand the English and another could not recognise the literary form of lyrical narrative. I did, however, put together another piece in less than 5 minutes which passed.

I learnt a lot of great things though from all the professors and look forward to the other courses in the specialisation.

By Sarunjade P

Nov 05, 2016

Awesome for the beginner of creative writing!

By Cora B

Apr 02, 2016

Great course, really helped me develop my skills in plot.

By Olivia W

Mar 06, 2016

I enjoyed taking this course. It was interesting and I found every module useful.

By Aiden T N

Nov 10, 2016

I loved this course and the assignments were really putting every section to work right away.

I wish that at least one of my papers would have been reviewed by Brando... but maybe that will happen in the capstone.

By ksl

Jun 08, 2016

I was not sure about this course at first, but I am so glad that I enrolled. Brando gives specific tips and ideas about how to write a story. He has made me realize that creative writing is not just about lofty ideas; writing can be improved and polished through approaching a story logically and methodically.

One of the best designed courses I have ever taken on Coursera. Thank you Brando!

By Mary B P

Aug 28, 2016

I learned so much about plotting from this course and it changed everything for me.

By R.K. M

Jan 27, 2018

Filled with considerations and practices that will help develop any aspiring or practiced writer.

By Sheiron S

Mar 09, 2016

Besides an engaging instructor (Brandon Skyhorse), the modules' content is accessible for nascent writers. Moreover, I enjoy the shop talk series with authors. These lectures cum interviews show a fulfilling, intimate view of writing lives. I feel more confident in my writing and have been a better, more critical reader of others' work, especially my own. I recommend this course to anyone who needs to brush up on their creative writing skills and for those who want to start from a clean slate.

By Julian M

Jul 24, 2017

I love these classes. I'm going to get a story submitted to a publisher this week. :) Thank you.

By josé c l h

May 22, 2018

EXCEPCIONAL CURSO.

MUCHAS GRACIAS POR ESTA OPORTUNIDAD

By Alexander K K

Jun 01, 2016

A very good course for any beginning writers

By Debra T

May 24, 2018

So many valuable lessons to be learned here about how plot should logically unfold in your story. I will be reviewing the lectures again to constantly improve my writing. Thank you!

By Shalini N

Jul 04, 2018

Loved this course. I learnt a great deal. Enjoyed the feedback I received.

By Kecia M R

Mar 12, 2016

I expected to hear the usual "show don't tell" mantra that I have heard in other fiction writing courses. Instead I learned the one thing that makes that statement make sense to me. I learned what they mean when someone says "show don't tell" and then I learned how to do it. Thank you Brando Skyhorse.

By Kristin T

Sep 24, 2017

Excellent Introduction to Creative Writing! As someone new to creative writing I found this class informative, challenging and inspiring. I highly recommend this course!

By Victoria

Nov 22, 2017

It's really useful to get feedback from peers. It's like having your readers on hand. I've struggled to understand what readers want. Although I know that all fiction writing is niched; I think I've failed to understand some of the fundamentals of good writing. And that's a big statement for me to make as I have a PhD in literary studies, specialising in theory, and I work as an academic in this field from time to time. It's practical and it works!