Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

MM
Nov 30, 2016

Great course to take as the first step in the sequence of the "Creative Writing" certification. Exercises are fun, professor provides useful methodology, load is manageable for someone with a day job.

LB
Nov 15, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

251 - 275 of 1,111 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

Jul 23, 2020

Mr. Skyhorse was a fascinating lecturer, with this course I came much closer to writing and methodically learned a lot! Thank you for this fabulous opportunity to be part of your lecture unit!

By Ana C O G

Feb 26, 2018

Me encantó, me enseñó las bases que necesito para redactar mi historia y voy a tomar los demás cursos también. Ojalá estuviera en español porque con la traducci{on se batalla un poco. Gracias!

By Helen A

Dec 9, 2018

Really good explanations and relevant examples throughout. The only week where the examples were hard for me to untangle were those in the show-don't-tell scene lesson. Overall though, great.

By Tina D

I really appreciated how the instructor laid out the modules and built on it with his explanations and examples. It was very helpful for me as a new writer to learn the nuances of the craft.

By Nana K D

May 4, 2020

I enjoyed the course very much especially the exercises. Brando is also more systematic with tips. For example the ABDCE format helps one remember how to properly write stories. I enjoyed it

By Imogen B

Jun 3, 2020

I audited this class from start to finish. While I'm not looking to write a novel or short story any time soon, this was incredibly valuable to the creative writing I do on a regular basis.

By Jillian K

Dec 5, 2017

This course was an excellent combination of basics and simple intense assignments to practice the concepts learned. I enjoyed every course in the Creative Writing Specialization. Thank you!

By Judy W W J

Oct 3, 2018

I have learned a great deal from this course and will use the skills learned to continue advancing my writing skills. Thank you Brando. Your teaching materials have been of invaluable use.

By Gao G

Oct 6, 2016

I have learned a lot from this course. I appreciate the good instruction from Professor Skyhorse as well as the encouragement, constructive advice and critique from my lovely classmates .

By Chris D

Jan 29, 2020

Good assignments, they don't let you rely on writings you've done in the past. Also, concrete advice that all beginning writers should follow. You aren't Faulkner yet, learn the basics.

By Grace H

May 11, 2018

This is an excellent overview course, with a luxury of specific guidance from published authors. It really helped focus my thoughts as I'm attempting to write my first book late in life.

By Bruna E d M C

May 12, 2020

This course is enriching. You can learn many things about the creative process. Even if you have no intention of writing a book, it can be a good option to learn how to unravel a story.

By Gregory H

Oct 21, 2019

Brando was insightful and clear in his explanations. The course was easy to follow and had excellent interviews with other writers. I feel like I learned a lot from taking this course.

By Tiara Á

Nov 27, 2020

I'm so grateful for this course, I learned a lot and really improved my writing. Also, loved the way you make learning interesting. Thank you Brando Skyhorse and Wesleyan University.

By Tom K

Jun 1, 2020

The course has given me an excellent structure and practice for writing basic scenes. I would be interested another course which talks about putting scenes together for a larger work.

By Masha Y

Feb 9, 2018

Very grateful to Brando and the team of guest writers for this course, you managed to break down the craft of plot so that even first time "writers" like myself were quite successful.

By David H

Jun 18, 2016

This was a great way to get started writing again after a long time. The videos were engaging and full of good information. It's good to see and hear real authors talk about the work.

By Debra T

May 24, 2018

So many valuable lessons to be learned here about how plot should logically unfold in your story. I will be reviewing the lectures again to constantly improve my writing. Thank you!

By Shaunak S

Apr 28, 2020

A great course for beginners and aspiring writers. Each and every lessongives you a better understanding about how a plot is written, and what are the various parts included in it.

By Alice H

Feb 16, 2017

I liked that the bulk of time spent was practicing writing. I learned many things like the elements of a strong scene, how setting plays a role, and the 5-act structure of a story.

By Michele S

Apr 1, 2016

Great course. I just audited it but even the audit content was very helpful. You'll have to pay for peer review, but I just wanted to learn about plot and this course delivered. :)

By Dr. M S K

Apr 28, 2020

Excellent !!

The content and explanation is awesome , and the assignments adds the rest to your learning, thank you Wesleyan University and thanks to Coursera for this opportunity.

By Anmol S

Mar 30, 2016

fabulous course with lot of do's and don'ts... and an inspirational guide and techniques for a startup writer or a beginer. course with its full content , quality and knowledge .

By Darci C

May 31, 2016

Prof. Skyhorse has a kind, engaging face and mannerisms. The course was well organized and free of technical issues- wish I could say the same thing about Coursera in general!

By Rebecca L

Oct 6, 2020

I felt the three-part video learning was helpful. The first video taught the skill, the second showed the application and the third reinforced with an interview with an author