Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

LB
Nov 15, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

BM
Nov 4, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

126 - 150 of 1,246 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Mihaela G

May 7, 2020

As a beginner to creative writing, the structure and the interviews the Professor used in this course helped me a lot with understanding. I could see myself improving my writing from one assignment to another. Also I became very aware of the writing structure when I am reading books written by well-known authors, which is a great way to learn further.

By Farzeen R

Feb 4, 2021

Loved this course! Prof Skyhorse explains everything so vividly. Learned many things regarding plot. Structure of story, what a scene should have in a story etc. I would want my peers to leave more detailed reviews on the assignments though. Writing 'well written' only does not help the writer. Try giving an advice or praise their work in someway.

By Rida K

Apr 19, 2020

This creative writing course got me out of my comfort zone and made me realise that your weaknesses in writing can become strengthens if you work hard enough. The people who graded my assignments were very helpful and always left comments on not only how to improve but also what they liked about the stories, this was a great confidence booster.

By Maria-Isabel C

Feb 11, 2021

This was the first subject of the Creative Writing Course I took and I recommend it to anyone who is starting to write. After completing The Craft of Plot I was encouraged enough to continue with the other subjects of the specialization. Prof. Brando Skyhorse is clear and his teachings easy to follow and to understand. I really enjoyed it.

By robin b

Jul 6, 2020

I had a hard time with this one.

I understood the rules, but sometimes writing about something you yourself find interesting doesn't necessarily fit easily into the required format.

Also, on one of assignments, half my summary got cut.

Plot is hard. I appreciate all the learning modules, found them quite inspiring.

I myself have a long way to go.

By Cecilia F

Aug 27, 2017

Highly inspiring, comprehensive and interesting course. I learned a lot from the interesting lectures and talks, and was challenged to develop as a writer. The level of the assignments worked well for the timeframe, and the peer reviewing added a lot of new insights. I would really recommend this course and am looking forward to next module.

By Ma. C D

May 8, 2018

This course was really helpful. It helped get my creative juices flowing again and give me direction. I love literature and I know the basics, but application is different. The assignments helped me implement not just the basics but the advanced knowledge I gained about writing literary pieces in just the first course of the specialisation.

By Stephanie F

May 13, 2020

Content was presented clearly and with great details and examples to refer to as well. The professor was easy to follow and his ideas were helpful. I really enjoyed the conversations with other authors in the videos. They all provided great insight and were able to teach, but still inspire since they are active writers'/authors themselves.

By Leni R

Jan 14, 2021

I enjoyed this course more than any writing class that I have taken. The assignments were spot on in helping me apply the information that had just been covered. I loved the format. Brando Skyhorse was terrific showing the student how to practically apply the learning. I feel like my writing has improved and that was my goal. Thank you!

By Sasha M

Aug 2, 2016

Putting aside the use of the Coursera apps on Ipad and Iphone (which are beyond awful and made the experience of taking this course utterly frustrating), this course was outstanding. The student will be given sold information on how to organize, structure, and edit a story. All of the material was approachable and extremely useful.

By Najwat R

Apr 12, 2018

Great course for aspiring writers. I had never written even a few sentences of fiction and I felt this course very effectively introduced me to all the basic elements needed to put a story together. The assignments were especially thoughtful. Thanks Brando and fellow learners who shared their valuable feedback and their own work.

By Shawn S

Feb 23, 2021

This course was exactly what I was looking for. Where many creative writing courses teach key principles and assign loosely relevant exercises, this one provided very concrete tools. I now feel equipped to build a map or blueprint for what I want to write, which is essential for those times when the writing just flow on its own.

By Shellie K

Sep 25, 2018

I enjoyed the assignments and felt the instructor, Brando Skyhorse, was clear in his explanations and assignments. This course helped me organize and pace my stories in a meaningful way. It also reminded me of the power of revision. If you have to pick 1 course out of the entire series, this one is probably the one to pick.

By Andrea C C S

Jul 16, 2020

This course is really good for starting, getting to know and think about some aspects about writing. Most importantly, you get to actually start writing, week after week. It also really makes a difference when you not only do it, but also share it with other people. That's the actual craft of the story after all, isn't it?

By Ibrahim N

Nov 11, 2016

An excellent course which will lead you to the significant entrance into creative writing. I am a beginner writer and I think this course helped me a lot to understand the general philosophy and some methods in creative writing. I strongly recommend this course to every person who is interested in any kind of text writing.

By Kathryne A H

Jun 26, 2016

Fantastic class! The teachers is organized, charismatic, a respected author of such interesting subject matter. He brings relevant outside writers to interview about their viewpoints. The assignments are clear and really opened my mind to other ways of thinking. This series of classes is more than worth time and cost.

By ChandraPerkins

Jun 12, 2016

The course is easy to follow and informative. Challenging assignments and guest speakers add variety, clarity, and creativity to the way you think about telling a story. It touches on important points like structuring and editing. Plus, the instructor compares much of what he's teaching to how it's used in popular novels.

By Tanya B

May 9, 2016

Very well presented, clear and concise. I have always just flowed a story out. This course offers insights into why some of my stories work and others don't. I found I do many of these things subconsciously but am now able to apply a solid foundation to build upon to ensure more consistency with my writing. Thank you

By Marilyn G

Apr 6, 2020

So far, this has been my favorite course in the specialization -- two more to go, including capstone. I liked the "feel" of the delivery, I felt more like I was in a lecture and Brando seems so at ease in front of the camera. I learned a lot in all the courses but preferred the delivery of this one the most. Thanks!

By benard o o

Oct 6, 2017

A great guide to any aspiring writer and thespian. The course gives a new approach in understanding the basic fundamentals to get you charged for your get go in writing. It might seem challenging at some point but once you pass the threshold where you are about to give up you realize how simpler the journey becomes.

By Liliane M

Jul 1, 2017

I have in these four weeks, learned far more than I expected, and my eyes have been opened up to a whole new world, A big thank you to Brando Skyhorse, but also to the wonderful mentors, that helps guide us through the in's and out's of the challenges, which face us, from used the homepage, to doing our assignments.

By Tania M

Sep 11, 2020

Me encanta este curso. Aprendí muchísimo y ahora he comenzado a corregir una de mis novelas. Te dan una base sólida para que tu escritura avance. Sólo a los compañeros le hace falta opinar con mayor objetividad sobre los trabajos enviados; pero en sí, si pones en practica lo explicado tendrás resultados positivos.

By Christian M

Jan 14, 2020

Very interesting. I was totally new to the concept of creative writing - though I'm an avid reader and write a lot at work, but mostly on technical subjects - and it was enlightening to learn a bit about the mechanisms which help building truly believable, entertaining stories. I recommend this course, definitely.

By Crystal C

Mar 17, 2018

Thank you professors for your time creating this course. It really empowered my writing... I've written over 100k words since starting this course. I gained the confidence to just start writing and not to worry about making it perfect the first time. Loved this course and have recommended to others. God bless you!

By PallaviPandavula

Sep 30, 2020

I enjoyed taking this course. The insights and carefully crafted assignments helped me write better than I have ever imagined. This course unleashed my writing abilities. I feel happy that I took this course. Peers gave me valuable feedback and also lot of love & encouragement, which truly boosted my confidence.