Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

SD
Jul 13, 2020

It seems easy at the start; give it a week or two and you will be very surprised -- with yourself and your reaction to the feedback.\n\nThe instructions are easy to follow, the insights are priceless.

BM
Nov 4, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

176 - 200 of 1,357 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Maryam H

Aug 10, 2020

This course by Wesleyan University is an outstanding opportunity to polish your writing skills. I had a great time learning new techniques and ideas from learned professionals. The best part about the course was the peer review system that helped me to gain feedback in the most welcoming way.

By Collins, J B

Jul 6, 2020

I really appreciated this course! It gave incredible insight into the craft of a story in a digestible, smooth manner. The exercises and peer reviews for each portion of the course were also very creative and really flexed the skills of each lesson, while giving authors a space for feedback.

By Alison N

Sep 14, 2021

This course is great! challenging but just set at the right level. I got useful feedback from my peers. I would say though that lots of people whose work I read were not keeping to the parameters given in the assignments so that made it difficult to assess if people should pass or fail...

By Manoranjan M

Feb 16, 2017

This course improved my writing skills in a tangible way - I will apply it both for my aspiration to become a writer as well as to express myself better at work. My main improvement is in structure and understanding more about editing process, getting rid of unnecessary part of the outcome.

By Afifa E

Apr 22, 2020

The course is short but it hits all the points needed in creating a plot. I also find the shop talk very insightful and gave me perspectives outside of the course material. The teacher summarizes it nicely and the course is very easy to follow. The assignments are also fun and challenging.

By Rosalie I

Jan 27, 2021

I was very nervous in the beginning and it took me some time to incorporate the course material, but when I did, it was exceptionally great, I got very good feedback. I've been struggling with writing a novel length story until now, but now I've got the basics and it's a great feeling!

By Vatsala S

Jul 21, 2020

A great course to structure your works and realize the importance of setting and description in making a scene come alive. I enjoyed it and would love to go for further courses in this specialization. I thank the instructor for making it readily available to learners across the world.

By Gynaneshwar S V

Feb 14, 2021

This course have taken me on a journey from basics of plot writing to finishing the plot perfect way. Every assignment was unique in its way and it was fun meeting the criteria of assignments. The author's discussion with other famous novelists really is the best part of the course.

By Nisarg S

Aug 16, 2018

The course is precisely designed and gives ample amount of information regarding the plot. This course has given me enough details about the plot and its structure in detail with different types and methods, that I can now write my own novel about which I was procrastinating a lot.

By Courtney H

Nov 22, 2020

I learned a lot from this course. I am now able to improve my writing just from learning what the plot is and how stories are structured. It got me thinking about the process in a way I hadn't thought of. I've probably done this without realizing I was doing what I was learning.

By Ashish N

Jun 10, 2020

The guidance and teaching received throughout the course was lucid,informative and well structured. In a lot of way it provided much needed confidence required for a beginner as myself and to make me fall in love of writing fiction and give a sense of belief that i can do it.

By Sepas H

Dec 14, 2018

the way Amy Bloom describes the process of creating the characters and throws the light on even the simplest questions you would want to ask before doing it is so inspiring. and of course the shop talks are incredibly informative, and a great chance no one can afford to miss.

By Emma F

Jan 5, 2020

I have a very technical mind, so I really appreciated the way the lecturer, Brando Skyhorse, broke down the method for writing a good plot. Completing this course, and seeing what I was able to write because of it, makes me excited to complete the rest of the specialization!

By Богдан Б

Feb 6, 2021

It was very interest course about creative writing. Thank you very much! I have interested in works of Amy Bloom after watching these videos. It's a new look at imagine world for me and I think that the course will be an extremely important event in my life. Unbelievable!

By Chittaranjan K

Jul 8, 2020

This course is something extraordinary. You get many things to learn. I would thank this course leader Brando Skyhorse for explaining such a complex topic in simple language and by giving variety of examples which are relatable to this new generation. Thank you Coursera.

By leslie s

Sep 29, 2016

Great class! Simple and direct. Brando Skyhorse has a great demeanor and very open and warm. Very encouraging. The assignments were clear and manageable and yet challenging. Stimulating to push past my comfort zone. Definitely recommend it! Thanks so much, Brando!

By Jeanne B

Nov 4, 2018

wonderfully set up. I can follow and do at my own page and learn so much at the same time. Its structure keeps me going and the extended deadlines are a very useful feature... so is the price of the subscription, as it does keep me from going too far off off deadlines.

By K. S

Nov 15, 2020

I love writing more, after taking the first four weeks of this class. The instructor provides top-notch information about the mechanics and guidelines to effective writing, with a lot of insights from professionals in the industry. I look forward to the next lesson!

By Sachit M

Outstanding course for anyone who wants to write anything. I love writing, and recently someone told me to get trained and become a bettwe writer. I found this course and loved it. Brando is an amazing instructor. Just his presence makes you feel calm. And his looks!

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and the following courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By Lefifia L

Feb 5, 2021

This is a wonderful class. I learned a lot of invaluable skills that has already improved my creative writing. I've learned transferable skills that will help me as a script writer and novelist. I cannot wait to take the other three parts to this course. Thank you!

By Ramsha T

Apr 21, 2020

This course has helped me in many ways to understand that how a plot should work. Before this, I ised to get very confuse about the structuring of story to make sense out of it but this course has helped me learn pattern with which I can make any plot make sense.

By Andre C

Feb 26, 2021

A great primer on structure and introduction to the basic elements of a story. In Wesleyan's Creative Writing course you will learn about scenes, be given specific toolkits such as the "ABDCE of story", and write short works that will be evaluated by your peers.

By Royslyn V T

Sep 16, 2020

Great Course. It helped me honed my skills and helped me to be better at plotting. I wasn't much for plotting but I realised that I knew and loved that I could produce a good story. Definitely recommend those who wish to better their writing to do this course.

By Afonso V N

Oct 29, 2020

It's a great course that helped me a lot to develop my desire for writing. The content is clear and easy to assimilate, it offers great exercises to train and meaningful insights about the art of writing through the instructor's shop talks and the peer reviews.