Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

LB

Nov 16, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

BM

Nov 05, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

851 - 875 of 1,031 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Krista

May 23, 2017

The course is great, I've been meaning to learn how to write for ages and it's so easy with this course. Love the assignments and feel like it really pushes me to keep up the skills learned. The only thing I would wish for is comments from the organisers or even that we could see what was said about our texts as it's really hard to improve without proper feedback.

By Mike P

Nov 09, 2016

I think Skyhorse was very good. His instructions are clear. A little too heavy on Harry Potter references.

The theory on the 5 act helped frame the work. This class inspired me to take all 5 courses.

I wish is passion for writing would come thru a little stronger. It would also be nice to have more instructor feedback vs peer reviews.

By Camille B

Jan 31, 2019

I learned a few things that I will definitely be using. The course was easy to follow and entertaining. The knowledge won't turn you into a great writer overnight but it is a good foundation. The requirements of the assignments were at times unclear but the process of reviewing your peers teaches the learner a lot. Good course.

By Sridhar I

Feb 28, 2017

I'd rate any course as 4+, at the end of which I can learn something tangible. This course introduced me to basic structure of story telling. The assignment was fun and the explanation was simple enough.

The best part was that the author explained concepts using Harry Potter and not some arcane book that I might not have read.

By Monika C B

Feb 22, 2016

This is a very good course, but I would have expected transcripts of the talks as well. I have done a few coursera courses and the supplementary materials here are minimal. Also, in the week 4, it is confusing to have the video transcript in the assigment section - very unclear whether that's a part of the assigment or not.

By Julie S

Jan 10, 2020

Such a delightful course. My only regret is that I wish teachers reviewed your work for the $49 monthly subscription. At least one teacher reviewing the work would make this a top notch effort to educate those that cannot afford the ever rising costs of top notch (or even mediocre) post-high school education.

By Nicole B

Jan 30, 2017

The device of giving feedback has to simplistic, given the scope of the audience, but it's difficult to get any real value from it as far as future revisions. There should be a free write section that's required for someone to respond to the story organically as well as the specific, "Did the writer do this?"

By Arvind N V

May 23, 2016

I learnt invaluable things in this course. I never knew of the Freytag's pyramid or the 21 point act structure etc and little by little, after doing the exercises, I feel I have learnt to edit my manuscript well enough. That has been my achievement as a learner of this course. Thanks a lot for the course. :)

By Samala K

Sep 30, 2017

As the first class that I've done on Coursera, I really enjoyed the online videos and assignments. The only issue is that I would've like to have had a real professor read my work. Though I see the value (and logistical ease) of peer reviewers I didn't get credit sometimes and I didn't think it was fair.

By Pam N

Jun 09, 2017

The course has very focused elements of structure and helps the student to learn how to use different elements to understand and evaluate her own story structure. For me, this made it much easier to understand some reasons why a story might not work or how it could be edited to good effect. I enjoyed it.

By sanika s

Apr 29, 2019

A great well detailed course with interesting assignments. It really got me writing, gave me constructive feedback and confidence in my writing style. The technicalities involved in creative writing were nicely explained in a fun way. Heartfelt thanks to the instructor and all the guest authors.

By Ajay C

Nov 13, 2017

The course was great, learned a lot and enjoyed the assignments.

From the reviews it seemed that some of my peers understood certain terms differently. I am pretty certain the way I understood things were correct and also think my peers feel the same way. That's the only drawback I experienced.

By ANGEL Y S V

Jul 28, 2020

Sé que no debería ser así y las personas que tomamos este curso ya estamos grandes, pero muchos no hacen las correcciones y observaciones pertinentes: simplemente dicen cosas como "Sí", "Bien", "¿Por qué no?" y nos dejan sin una retroalimentación correcta. Dejando eso de lado, excelente curso.

By LaShaunda C

May 13, 2019

It filled in a few of the blanks that I felt I was missing. I was able to collect resourceful notes to help throughout writing my first epic urban fantasy fiction novel book series and I recommend this course to anyone that wants to learn just a bit more about Plotting in Creative Writing.

By Amanda L P

Aug 26, 2020

I learned quite a bit, as this is my first creative writing course. I was able to get some hands on practice and peer feedback...4 only though because i found some of the peer reviews to be lacking (one word, no feedback) the course should have some sort of panel to rate these as well

By Shreshta B S

Jun 21, 2020

It's good, one understands how should a story start and progress to make a reader indulge and enjoy the reading. The structures and advices drastically improves one's writing abilities, in fact your change in the way you write can be noticed between your first and last assignment.

By Miguel B

Jul 06, 2017

Excellent content and course design. Mr Skyhorse material and his personal touch make it informative and throughly enjoying to have this very first incursion in the writing world.

The several technical issues with the app subtract a star from the otherwise excellent course

By Anwesha N

Aug 05, 2020

The course instruction was superb. Assignments really helped us push our limits. The only complain I have is the discussion forum. It hardly offered any good discussion. All were about assignment reviews. The Week 4 assignment reviews+submissions were the best ones.

By Abhishek T

Jul 17, 2018

Gives an idea of structure.

Assignments provide challenging and restrictive setups that compel creative forces to find their rhythm in all scenarios.

Feedback is really morale boosting as well as useful critique, some angles come up that the author never looked into.

By Sophie S

Aug 18, 2018

I really liked the writing exercises...they were a good challenge and the peer review was a great feature....I didn't find the videos extremely helpful though. There were a couple good ideas in them, but overall not too interesting for an experienced writer.

By Michael H

May 24, 2016

A good introductory course to the craft of plot. Covers the basics, though I would appreciate some more complex assignments. Perhaps offer some more advanced course in the future? Maybe an advanced fiction specialization? Either way, good introductory course.

By Faith E

Nov 10, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. It re-freshed a lot of my knowledge on the writing process/vocabulary while challenging me to write in a new way. Sharing my writing with peers and learning to give thoughtful, helpful feedback was also a great learning tool!

By Scott M

Interviews were well done. Reviewing the work of other students was marginally useful. Many students would have benefited from grammar and spelling check as mistakes in those elements were distracting. This might be that English is a second language.

By Abrar A A

Mar 12, 2018

I loved the course as it got me back to writing with agenda and a goal. the words limit was a good challenge and the time to fit in the deadline were a bit difficult as I work full time on demanding job.. but i truly enjoyed the course and the lectures

By cat b

Feb 22, 2018

This is a well-structured and engaging set of videos and writing exercises that serves as a great introduction to the basic practice of writing fiction. The assignments were challenging but fun and increased my confidence in being able to write.