Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description by Wesleyan University

In this course aspiring writers will be introduced to the techniques that masters of fiction use to ground a story in a concrete world. From the most realist settings to the most fantastical, writers will learn how to describe the physical world in sharp, sensory detail. We will also learn how to build credibility through research, and to use creative meditation exercises to deepen our own understanding of our story worlds, so that our readers can see all that we imagine....

EG
Jul 1, 2020

Great course, it taught me things that I would have never learned otherwise, in this course you must take your time, don't rush, because if you do you will miss the most important points of the curse.

BM
Jan 19, 2021

This was such a wonderful course. I got to learn a lot about strange lands, imaginative description etc. Generally how to set my world and describe it in a convincing manner. I totally recommend it.

301 - 325 of 346 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description

By Sasha M

Aug 2, 2016

The course was inspiring and made me focus on the small details in the environments I create. I think that the professor leans too hard on the quotes and the work of other authors as a core part of the curriculum. It would have been useful to have a breakdown in charts or a checklist to help push our descriptions along. Having said that, the professor seems to care a great deal for her students and that came through clearly.

By Coco

Apr 10, 2019

I liked this course and I learned much. The reason I gave 4 stars is that often it is not clearly explained what exactly was requested in an assignment. I saw that its not only me but many other students had a problem to find out the exact assignment. This problem has obviously existed for the last 3 years and was never corrected. I encourage the students to find their answers - at least partly - in the discussion forums.

By Harsha v r G V S

Dec 2, 2016

Ms. Gaige very thoughtfully made it really practical rather than theoretical by bringing in examples of various writings from the past writers, adding in some videos as well for the learners to see it exactly for what something is, while making the points about what should you put into your writing and what you shouldn't. Would have liked a short goodbye video from her at the end though!!

By Melissa C

Mar 12, 2016

Excellent course that both informs and inspires. There is a good deal of content as well as advice. The student writer is encouraged to explore and be unafraid. The only draw back is that the online classroom does not allow the auditing students to post and get feedback on their assignments and it must be done externally to fully get the benefit of our fellow students.

By Sherma W C

Apr 12, 2017

The course, The Craft of Setting and Description, allows students to delve into the skills needed for polished creative writing. Amity Gaige was a great instructor who provided exercises and lectures that stretched my imagination. I really enjoyed this course.

By Piyush M

Jul 10, 2020

The exercised were the most fun and challenging part of the course and I learnt a lot but the feedback was a constant issue throughout. A few students do not really review but rush through it. Please get that fixed, the exercises deserve a good response.

By Nyema J

Aug 10, 2018

Until now I was hasty, wanting to tell the story - Now I want to show the story through character and setting. I realise the reader is disinterested unless they can walk in the shoes of my characters seeing the landscape as I see it.

By Michael H

Aug 16, 2016

I thought this course was very well done. The video lectures were very interesting, and the links to additional readings and videos was very welcome. Definitely one of the strongest segments of the creative writing specializations.

By Emily F

Jun 21, 2016

This class was pretty good. I liked the reading assignments, and there was some helpful instruction as well. I liked learning about the second person perspective, and the section on credibility and research was also really helpful.

By Erica R

Jun 19, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and the reading selected by Ms. Gauge. One gets the feeling she put a great deal of thought in what she wanted the students to learn. I also enjoyed the writing assignment about the 2nd person POV.

By Bernat R

Oct 27, 2017

Great exercises and explanations! But I still think the teachers and instructors should be more involved in correcting and giving feedback to student's assignments, opposite the the only student's assignments we can get now.

By Maya K

Oct 12, 2016

The creative writing series of classes have been extremely enjoyable. The classes are very well organized, the pace of the work was perfect for me. Wish there were another series of classes I could take.

By Shalini N

Jul 11, 2018

A good course a lot of learning. Except for the last week when there was nothing in depth. Also the last two assignments overlap??? The first three weeks were otherwise really great.

By Roy N

Jan 25, 2018

This was a very solid course. It introduced me to perspectives I hadn't heard before. I think my writing has improved because of the course. I am a lot better at setting my scenes.

By Maria-Isabel C

Feb 11, 2021

This was one of my favorites. It helped me understand the importance of observing every detail around me and unleashed my own style on description. I really enjoyed it!

By arya k s

Apr 2, 2018

This course makes you see your surroundings, it takes you back to your childhood and urges you to gather information from everywhere and tell it in a compelling manner.

By Karen R

Mar 3, 2018

At times the assignment title or the assignment itself didn't seem to fit the lesson for the week but the lessons were intriguing and got me thinking and writing!

By Sandra D

Feb 17, 2019

Good course overall. Assignments are challenging. I think more study material could be added in the course to make it more interesting.

By ANGEL Y S V

Aug 27, 2020

Me ayudó mucho a mejorar mis descripciones. Siempre he tenido problemas con eso, así que estoy muy contento con el resultado.

By Dawn S

Jun 2, 2016

This is great course for challenging your perceptions of things and encouraging you to try out different perspectives.

By Sharon

Apr 2, 2016

I enjoyed learning about how to create a vitamin rich unit of fiction and the importance of specific words.

By Abrar A A

Mar 23, 2018

love the professor n her approach to writing... some of the best n practical exercises I did in writing

By Ian B

Jul 4, 2017

Great course for getting into the nitty gritty of how your story should feel. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

By Nick V

Feb 16, 2021

Great course, it made me discover different aspects for creating a setting that feels alive.

By Lubaba A

Mar 16, 2017

it's amazing course that gave you a new point of view for writing and a very good training