Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

BC

Mar 11, 2017

Cutting edge cryptography topics. Good explanations and slides, but pause button is highly recommended. Can be a bit too mathematical for the general public, and not very formal for mathematicians.

LG

Dec 16, 2017

This course gives is perfect to start learning cryptography, explanations are detailed, topics carefully selected combining theory with real world examples and making emphasis in important details.

501 - 525 of 526 Reviews for Cryptography I

By Nickolas F

Sep 29, 2017

An amazing course that provided me with important tools in cryptography. I hope I see more courses like this in the future and a special thank you to Professor Dan Boneh for teaching this course. Thank you.

By 周泽全

Jan 12, 2018

有部分视频没有中文翻译

By JOHN P

Dec 06, 2017

Overall, a great course! There's always room for improvement. Certain complex and critical concepts were glossed over way too fast in the lectures (with speech compression in the recordings to boot), while other introductory material was gone over too slowly. There is an answer string evaluation problem in the Q's & A's where the required answer must contain a bullet dot to represent multiplication (an 'x' is not accepted) but the standard computer keyboard does not contain a bullet symbol, you have to be in a word processor to create that. Also, there are correct alternative answers for Q#'s 6,9, &12 in the Week 5 Quiz that need to be re-evaluated.

By Jiang

Nov 19, 2017

very well

By Mariusz Ć

Jan 08, 2018

Pretty tough but still interesting...

By Shashank V

Jan 21, 2018

Exceptional Course .. Especially he lectures were clearly explained. But the exercises were a bit tough.

By Ratnabh k r

Jun 17, 2018

this course has really helped me to build the basic knowledge in the field of security.

By Dan D

Jun 03, 2018

Really interesting and comprehensive course. Sometimes really important concepts were glossed over quickly which made it occasionally tricky to follow but then it is tricky subject matter!

By Ricardo d C C

Oct 14, 2018

It is really interesting and clarifying. It does require much attention to details and taking a lot of notes, however. It focuses on the theory, with practical examples. I sure liked it.

By Alessandro D C

Apr 28, 2019

(+) Really good training also for beginners.

(-) Sometimes the teacher talks very quickly.

By Nathan M

May 14, 2019

Pretty good, though needs more basic understanding. Quite a bit of prereq's for this course!

By Putcha L N R

Jun 04, 2019

It would be really amazing if Dan tries to go lot more abstract in each video; and not explain the same concepts over and over again. I feel that it becomes particularly boring to keep hearing the recaps over and over again. In general, the course was a tough one for me! But the instructor, with his immense knowledge and great way of explaining things did create an impact!

By Anatoliy K

Jun 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this course! Symetric security was quite easy for me. But when it came to public key security I felt so lost because of all that deep math. Maybe it may have better and more detailed explanation, but maybe it just my problem with math (which I'm aware and aknowledge even without this course :D).But definitely worth time spent. Waiting for Cryptography II now.

Thanks.

By Antariksha M

Sep 01, 2019

Great , Enjoyed the complete session ,waiting for the next session :)

By PEYRARD T

Aug 30, 2016

The course is clear and goes at a sustained but correct pace. I really like the fact to show the weakness to understand what are the requirements of a secure PRF, PRP & co!

Optional programming assignments are really interesting unfortunately they take too much time to do and lack of guidance as it could be the case for the famous ML course. At least the first exercises should provide a development environment to get familiar with: hex, crypto libs, dictionary research, stats algorithms implementation ...

The first two weeks lack of in-video tests.

By Diego J H

Sep 16, 2017

The course was very good, but the pace was too fast, so eventually became the problem because it is

very difficult to follow. Anyway, it opened a new world to me and I'm willing to review many topics covered in this course

By Phoneix I

Aug 06, 2017

It is very nice to have some basic idea. But if supplemented with some practical based screen recording then may be that would be more interesting. If supplemented with reference to further reading materials for deeper understanding then that ware better.

By Shahbaz H

Jul 24, 2018

Very nice course , sometimes along there was some difficulty occurs but the support staff n teacher helps me a lot.Some practical implementation also missing from course.

By Michael S

Jan 20, 2017

El profesor es muy malo explicando, hay cosas las cuales no tenian sentido (creo yo que esto es porque justamente el profesor no sabe y explicar) y ademas las preguntas que hace en medio de los videos son ridiculas. Da preguntas sin haber antes explicado el conocimiento previo.

By Lewis C L

May 08, 2017

There were too many repititions of tautological proofs. Should have been covered in 1/2 or more of a single session: this is how we reason about cryptography. Too much focus on low-level primitives which doesn't make sense if we are to never implement our own cryptography. Finally, as a general point it would be amazing if there were ungraded "practice sets" that came with answers: you work it work them out and look at the answers and if you don't understand you try to figure out what you can't get. You can ask questions on the forum without revealing anything. The focus should be on working problems. Then, the quiz needn't permit infinite retrials: working through the practice sets is where the learning would occur. As it is now, you listen to the lecture, read over the notes several times, and then try the quiz. I did the programming before taking the quiz: that was a chance to actual work with the crypto algorithms.

By Richard K

Jan 06, 2017

Very theoretical and mathematical and not enough real examples.

By Tyler H

Dec 15, 2016

A really hard class for anyone not graduated from collage.

By Jewellia T

Dec 22, 2016

This isn't a beginners course. I dropped out in first week. I took every note I could and reviewed again and again. I really think the instructor is an intelligent man, but I'm not quite sure he understands how to teach well. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to take anything away from this class.

By Ashwani K

Aug 04, 2019

Only theory No practicals or solved questions

By Luís C D A J

Sep 07, 2016

Mentiroso, na descrição mostra que tem legenda para português porém o curso não tem legenda pt-br