Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

BH
Jan 13, 2020

Provides a comprehensive introduction to cryptographic history, current technology, best practices and known attacker techniques. A great deal of material is covered in a relatively compact program.

BC
Mar 10, 2017

Cutting edge cryptography topics. Good explanations and slides, but pause button is highly recommended. Can be a bit too mathematical for the general public, and not very formal for mathematicians.

651 - 675 of 742 Reviews for Cryptography I

By David R

Jun 1, 2020

The theoretical part of the course, though dense and fast paced, was very informative. Being recorded it had the advantage for the student of being pausable and repeatable. The great disappointment was the programming part of the course, which I was very much looking forward to, in which the problems were great and have great potential to help the student learn something, but help was minimal (rather tautological, unrevealing, or plain condescending). Fortunately, the programming assignments were option and did not count towards the final grade. But I repeat, they do seem immensely valuable in their topic and difficulty as a learning experience, but guidance in a programming part of the course would be welcome for a change.

By JOHN P

Dec 6, 2017

Overall, a great course! There's always room for improvement. Certain complex and critical concepts were glossed over way too fast in the lectures (with speech compression in the recordings to boot), while other introductory material was gone over too slowly. There is an answer string evaluation problem in the Q's & A's where the required answer must contain a bullet dot to represent multiplication (an 'x' is not accepted) but the standard computer keyboard does not contain a bullet symbol, you have to be in a word processor to create that. Also, there are correct alternative answers for Q#'s 6,9, &12 in the Week 5 Quiz that need to be re-evaluated.

By Owen L

Jun 12, 2020

Good course, covers pretty interesting material. The level is quite high and technical though, so I wouldn't call it introductory - you definitely need a basis in CS/algebra and a basic understanding of computer security in general.

Quizzes and videos are good but the course could use a better emphasis on coding (the programming assignments provided very little guidance and there's essentially no code in the lectures - probably by design but that can leave you hanging if you're looking for a practical rather than purely theoretical understanding of the topic).

By Daniel M P

Jun 20, 2020

Fast dialog made it so I had to watch the videos multiple times, copy of the discussion in text form helped.

The in the lesson questions, didn't know how to format the responses to make them work. Also when the session when to the question reply mode, it showed the question but covered up the graphic part of the question so you lost that context. Possible because I was full screen mode.

Well done all in all.

By Tim H

Mar 6, 2018

A very good course. The pace is quite high and the material is challenging. I think to get the best out of it you need to spend considerably more time than the course suggests each week and I was not able to do this. However, I have come out of the course with a good understanding of the basic concepts of cryptography and my interest in the subject has been piqued sufficiently to want to find out more!

By Jon L

Apr 29, 2021

The teacher is really an expert on the topic and I learned a lot from the course. The only criticism I'd offer is that some of the lectures make it hard to see the forest from the trees early on -- e.g., a lot of information might be provided early on in a lecture and the point is not really clear till the end. That said, I'm glad to have taken it and am considering taking the next part.

By Anatoliy K

Jun 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this course! Symetric security was quite easy for me. But when it came to public key security I felt so lost because of all that deep math. Maybe it may have better and more detailed explanation, but maybe it just my problem with math (which I'm aware and aknowledge even without this course :D).But definitely worth time spent. Waiting for Cryptography II now.

Thanks.

By PLN R

Jun 4, 2019

It would be really amazing if Dan tries to go lot more abstract in each video; and not explain the same concepts over and over again. I feel that it becomes particularly boring to keep hearing the recaps over and over again. In general, the course was a tough one for me! But the instructor, with his immense knowledge and great way of explaining things did create an impact!

By Lazaros M

Nov 20, 2020

I found the course far too difficult to be honest, it requires a lot of reading time to finish the quizes, and I had trouble completing it. That of course can also be perceived as agood thing for students who want to specialize on the subject.

I wanted this course to learn some basics of encryption for my research, but I felt a bit swamped.

By Marius C

Jul 27, 2020

Excellent course. One of the most difficult ones I followed on Coursera. It's a bit dry due to the amount of math in such a short time and because it lacks a bit on the practical side of things. The optional coding assignments are good but I would have preferred a more practical approach for the course as a whole.

By Veereswaran G

Jul 13, 2020

This course really a best course for cryptography basics and intermediate level. Only negative thing is that real-time approach of how to use crypto-libraries not explained here. So if anyone want to implement the cryptography standards to their product/design, need to refer other sites.

By Julian E

Feb 16, 2016

I liked the level commitment the programming problems demanded. It truly made you feel you had a deeper understanding of the subject after finishing them as opposed to just reading and answering multiple choice questions. Thanks for putting this together for the world to learn!

By Nikolaos K

Oct 12, 2019

Some of the questions in the quizzes were vague and hard to comprehend. Also the professor's hand writing on the notes doesn't help since it's messy and the marker quality is not that good either.

Apart from the above, a good intro course to crypto, thanks.

By Alain G D

A very good presentation of the theory of cryptography algorithms, but I'm disappointed that Crypto II is not available for now: some important points such as SSL/TLS crypto protocols or eliptic curves are not described at all in Crypto I.

By Domingo

Nov 28, 2016

The course is really what I wanted: It covers theoretical and practical aspect of cryptography. The exercises are also very well designed, although, I found some of them quite difficult.

Overall, I would recommend this course to a friend.

By Pablo G A

Apr 3, 2018

The course is very interesting and the topics are very well explained by the proffessor. I didn have a wide background about cryptography but still could learn a lot. Congrats!!. I would preffer more examples and not so much theory.

By Horacio G A

Jun 30, 2017

The content of the course is excellent. Sometime the excercises are a bit confusing because the losse of information in the content. Also is a little quick but I found it excellent to be an introduction to Cryptography.

By Casper v G

Sep 26, 2018

Though the material is quite challenging, professor Boneh explains it quite clearly and at an easy pace in his lectures. I found it very interesting to learn more about encryption and how the current standards work.

By sagar

Jun 8, 2020

I just want to say that this course is very good for people who know a lot of math and i mean it will be easy for them to grasp the course , so i strongly recommend to please explain concepts a little bit more .

By Nickolas F

Sep 29, 2017

An amazing course that provided me with important tools in cryptography. I hope I see more courses like this in the future and a special thank you to Professor Dan Boneh for teaching this course. Thank you.

By Md M H F

Apr 19, 2021

A bit too hard actually, should be more focused on practical cryptography that teaches how to use cryptography in computer programming more efficiently, rather than theoretical cryptography.

By Dan D

Jun 3, 2018

Really interesting and comprehensive course. Sometimes really important concepts were glossed over quickly which made it occasionally tricky to follow but then it is tricky subject matter!

By Ricardo d C C

Oct 14, 2018

It is really interesting and clarifying. It does require much attention to details and taking a lot of notes, however. It focuses on the theory, with practical examples. I sure liked it.

By Gabriel D O

Aug 23, 2017

The lectures are very good. Easy to understand and keep on track. But the lecturer could enunciate better. But that is also not a huge issue since pausing and replaying is an option.

By Howard ( R

Aug 11, 2017

Excellent material. As usual with computer science courses, some of the material could be presented a bit more clearly. But I am really happy to finally understand this material now.