Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

BH

Jan 14, 2020

Provides a comprehensive introduction to cryptographic history, current technology, best practices and known attacker techniques. A great deal of material is covered in a relatively compact program.

LG

Dec 16, 2017

This course gives is perfect to start learning cryptography, explanations are detailed, topics carefully selected combining theory with real world examples and making emphasis in important details.

101 - 125 of 673 Reviews for Cryptography I

By Geoff E

Jan 09, 2017

A great introduction to cryptography. The material is all contained in the lecture videos making it easy to work through. The notation becomes a little hard to keep track of following week 4 but that's probably my fault for not committing it to memory thoroughly enough

By Filip R

Nov 20, 2016

The course is very well structured and gives overview of whole flow and systematically prepares us to understand each of the part. I am really looking forward to Crypto II, where will be described more things about certificate and new exchange protocols. Thank you.

By Vlastimil P

Jan 14, 2017

This course is definitely worth the time -- the explanations are very logical with refined transitions from topic to topic. I enjoyed every part of it including the tests and programming assignments. Thank you very much for filling many gaps in my knowledge!

By Manana M H

Mar 07, 2019

This is the best course for a beginner especially in terms of understanding the concept of security in relation to encryption schemes that are used in practice today. This course best explains security of encryption algorithms. Looking forward to crypto II.

By Jason M

Jun 25, 2017

Honestly, a great course in Cryptography. The professor is very lucid and clear. Notation isn't too heavy and the ideas in this course are explained very clearly. Yes, you might have to pause and rewind some of the videos, but that's just because it's math.

By Jayamine A

Aug 20, 2017

It was awesome! I learned a lot and the professor pointed out useful additional reading. Since I'm going to do my PhD in cryptography, it's really important to me. And I god financial support to finish the course. Thanks professor and coursera team!

By Ben E

Jun 22, 2018

This course was an excellent way to put all the ad hoc crypto knowledge I've picked up over the years on to a sound footing. It was very nicely structured and presented, and the optional programming challenges were great. Looking forward to Part 2!

By Manish.M

May 06, 2020

At first, it seems like there is a lot of concepts to digest but as the weeks pass, we can recognize some patterns in the various encryptions and way in which we create a challenger-adversary game. It was interesting and truly informative. Thanks!

By Henrik B

Nov 15, 2016

I always wanted to know a bit more about cryptography, and this course is perfect as a starting point. It balances theory with practice. The part I enjoyed the most was the programming exercises where you could use some of the theory in practice.

By Aliaksei K

Oct 12, 2017

Great course. The amount of math is just enough for providing a solid theory background. All the materials are presented in a logical order and enhanced with good examples. The size of the course allows get accounted with essential fundamentals.

By Asaf S

Jan 25, 2020

Thank you Prof. Dan Boneh and all coursera team, very mutch for a greate course, greate exams and lectures.

This course teaches you a lot through the lectures, excersises and exams and you get a greate academic study experience.

Yeshar koach!!!

Apr 07, 2016

Excellent course! I can recommend this to anyone who is not afraid of some basic math. But a person interested in cryptography should not be afraid of math, yielding that this course can be recommended to anyone interested in cryptography.

By Dasarapalli R R

Apr 20, 2020

This course is a little difficult compared to any other courses i have taken in coursera. Very vast, problematic but fun to learn and Try to complete coding assignments, they are help in understanding the encryption techniques very well.

By Ian M

Apr 29, 2020

Exceptional material for anyone wanting to add Cryptography to their toolbox. Previous maths knowledge doesn't hurt. And some basic coding knowledge, if you wish to engage with the additional material.

I eagerly await v.2 of this course!

By Georgios K

Nov 08, 2017

Challenging, yet very informative. Dr. Boneh is extremely good at explaining the concepts of basic Cryptography. I especially liked the "proofs by images". Will be definitely going for Crypto 2 as soon as I have time available for it.

By Gustavo S

Mar 08, 2016

When someone explains concepts and ideas in such an easy way, it means he/she understands fully what he talks about; this is the case of Professor Dan Boneh; I widely recommend this course for anyone interested in Cryptography topics.

By Jose J A A

Feb 11, 2018

One of the best courses of my life, well planned, very up to date, with good examples, good academic level. Very recommendable for those who want to know the new discipline created in the term of the last century called cryptography.

By Sönke B

Mar 20, 2018

I learned a lot from this course. From my perspective (background in math), Boneh made a good trade-off between a rigorous approach and covering real-world crypto - both is covered to a sensible degree. Looking forward to part 2.

By John S

May 16, 2017

Great course.

The material is explained masterfully. The exercises are interesting, challenging and effectively strengthen the knowledge acquired from the lectures. One of the best courses I've taken both in university and online.

By Hayyu I

Jun 26, 2020

Dan Boneh is an excellent instructor - as you start wondering some questions during his lectures, the next minute he would answer it in the video. Some sections might be a bit too maths-heavy for those with no maths background.

By Oscar L

Aug 20, 2020

Incredibly well explained- I learnt so much from a base of little knowledge and the format was really good. Weeks 7 and onwards are mentioned to be in a different course so I'll have to find that as well. Thank you very much!

By Antoine S

Jul 02, 2016

It 's the second time I follow this course and I still find that so amazing. I'm waiting Crypto II until a year and I hope it will be released soon... Thanks Pr Boneh for sharing your little (for you) big (for me) knowledge !

By Michael B

Feb 14, 2017

Really cool course that was fun and very informative. Really well designed quizzes, homeworks, and programming assignments. It was pretty difficult compared to most online courses but I guess that's expected from Stanford...

By Christopher H

Nov 22, 2016

Time consuming and hard work but very rewarding. Took me several attempts to finish (other life commitments kept getting in the way).

Will be doing it at least once more to try and finish all the programming exercises too :)

By Puth G

Dec 24, 2017

This Is AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!