Back to Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++ by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course teaches learners how to write a program in the C++ language, including how to set up a development environment for writing and debugging C++ code and how to implement data structures as C++ classes. It is the first course in the Accelerated CS Fundamentals specialization, and subsequent courses in this specialization will be using C++ as the language for implementing the data structures covered in class....

EQ
Jan 12, 2020

Honestly, this is a great crash course in OOP for C++ (though the ideas can be applied to any language). Previous experience with C++ is almost a necessity, the lessons can be complicated for novices.

AR
Jan 31, 2021

Great course, simple and difficult all at the same time. Great introduction to these topics. Every thing that is included is there for a reason as every thing is straight to the point with no filler.

451 - 475 of 561 Reviews for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

By J J

Mar 4, 2021

good

By Meera N

Mar 1, 2021

Good

Feb 9, 2021

good

By PRATAPSINGHA G

Sep 30, 2020

nice

By SHUBHAM S

Aug 21, 2020

best

By Vishavjeet S

Good

By HARSHITA K

May 5, 2020

good

By ZHANG T

Jul 13, 2021

By Plover B

Nov 1, 2019

I'm a relatively new programmer, and this was my first experience with any language other than Python.

I was able to complete all assignments with 100% scores on time or early, and yet I don't really feel that I have a solid grasp of the concepts taught. At no point did I go into an assignment and say, "oh yes, I know exactly how to do this." I completed the assignments all with a lot of trial and error, which is fine and normal for learning programming I think, but because the assignments were often to edit a smaller portion of a larger, more complicated program, it meant I it was difficult to really understand where things were going wrong. I mostly just had to try and try until I got it right. Some of the portions of the final project I actually felt fairly successful with, but others I struggled with in the same way.

So ultimately I feel that this is a decent course for a fairly experienced programmer to get acquainted with the differences of a language they're not expert in, but for someone new it may go mostly over their head unless that have more outside help. I plan to do more self study before continuing to the next course so that I feel more solid in my basic skills.

By Jeroen K

Jan 2, 2020

It helped me to learn the fundamentals of c++. Very clear and to the point.

One thing that can be optimized in my opinion, is the way the IDE setup is taught. I worked from my own IDE and everything worked out fine, but I had never used make files before. I didn't know it was so simple from the terminal to run a make command with g++ installed. So I followed the whole tutorial to set up a AWS account and environment. Only to realize later that I just had to type: "make" and "make zip" in the terminal for my final assignment to work. Therefore I would suggest the following addition to make the course more smooth for people who are already familiar with their IDE, but not with make files:

- In the beginning briefly explain what a make file is and how to run make from cmd/terminal or in Linux.

This will be a help for people like me who already had some experience with an IDE but still find this course very useful.

By Nate K

I am by no means a software guy but I do have a little bit of experience in python and I was able to get through this course. If you are somewhat familiar with basic object-oriented programming concepts you should be fine. If this is your first programming course I would recommend starting with a more simple language and one at a more basic level. Prof Wade goes through a ton of examples which is great. The only reason I am giving this course 4 stars instead of 5 is that I feel like there are still a lot of basic concepts that I don't completely understand (templates, namespaces, etc). Overall a great course and I look forward to taking the next course. Thanks Prof Wade!

By Nasirov A

Aug 2, 2020

Overall, the course was good for me ( with BS/MS in Mechanical Eng with a lot of experience in coding numerical methods ). The material covered by the course (pointers, objects, etc) is great - basically, everything I wanted to see in this type of course. Material is presented in a rushy manner (this might be justified for an accelerated program). Lastly, I feel like more programming assignments are needed to solidify our knowledge gained throughout the course (again, this might be justified for an accelerated program). Huge thanks, for providing the opportunity to learn CS fundamentals!!!

By mohamed k

Sep 10, 2020

The course is amazing in terms of content and tasks. I only have two comments one regarding the assignments submission system. I and a lot of people are very well familiar with visual studio as an IDE and it was so tiring to try to make it work with the assignments and the submission system, in addition to not having the ability to test the results without headache.

The other comment is the instructor sometimes goes so fast in some parts of the video lectures that need slower and deeper explaining.

Thanks a lot !

By Haadhim M A

Apr 8, 2020

As far as the knowledge I gained through this course is concerned; it was much helpful for me in understanding the constructors part better. Also the assignments were pretty challenging that tested the usage of taught concepts.

I personally felt that students would be more comfortable if they have much more clear instructions given while solving the project part as it took lot of trials for me to make in the changes with the IDE I worked with as per the project requirement.

By Tuomo T

Mar 10, 2021

The lecturer explains the concepts involved in this course really well. I was struggling to learn advanced C++ over ten years ago, because some of my foundations were not solid enough. It feels like this course gave me better foundations to now try climbing further, so thank you very much!

I'd give this course five stars, but I would like to see some improvement in the explanations of the calculations in the Week 4 final course assignment. Overall, a great course!

By Carl W

Mar 22, 2020

Pretty good class. Maybe I'd give it a 5 but I had difficulty with the final ImageTransform project. Has to be done in Linux (maybe theirs a way around it that I didn't find) and WSL (Microsoft Linux environment for a Windows box) does not support a GUI (least not straight away) and my old Linux box is very outdated I understand these issues were mine and not University of Illinois problems, but still creates hassle.

Good starter class.

By Jiawen C

Apr 30, 2021

Good class and nice structured. Though I think it might be a bit too fast-paced for beginners (with little programming experience), many details are ignored and you should make yourself comfortable with such details by researching them a little bit. For my personal experience, I have learned some C/C++ years ago but programming extensively using Python/MATLAB everyday. So this class is very useful to help pick up the C++ language.

By French M

Dec 24, 2019

It was good for me, I learned a lot, but the final project is just too complicated for me, and even with the Pdf, it's not clear at least for my level and I already took a OOP college course. I did it all but the final I am just stuck and that is frustrating. Despite the jumping in levels from video to video I did learn a lot so it is still a 4 star. Teaching is a bit fast.

By Abhay k

Nov 10, 2020

This course was really helpful. It helped me to learn basic fundamentals of c++ as a beginner. I am very much impressed with the professor's way of making things clear but what I wanted as a beginner that the assignments should have been explained by the professor instead of reading PDF ourselves then those concepts would have been more crystal clear.

By SAUGAT B

Apr 17, 2020

Wow, it was descriptive and at the same time needed quite an effort in searching various contents at google. Overall, it would be hard for novice but they can get along with little more effort. Really, the advanced mechanism for checking our submissions and not requiring peer reviews which is often slow and unreliable is praiseworthy.

By Jon L

Mar 26, 2020

Overall this course did a good job balancing sufficient levels of detail without losing the big picture with respect to OOP principles. The examples were good throughout. I thought the final image transform assignment was very interesting though not a particularly helpful indication of mastery of OOP principles.

By Diaa Y

Jul 26, 2020

I believe the course videos and lectures are pretty good. The instructor explains pretty well and makes learning this course exciting. However I think that this course needs more projects, and to be more challenging. Possibly the instructors of this course rely on subsequent courses to cover more material.

By Paul B L

Jun 5, 2020

the course helped me solve problems more strategically. The instructor also helped me make use of patterns as way to optimize code and see a problem in a more practical manner. This truly helped me enhance my skills in C++ and Data structures but also in fundamental problem solving skills.

By Justin M

Oct 25, 2019

Great course, engaging videos, and the end project was a pretty good summation of the material covered. I would have liked an assignment each week that let me practice coding a bit more, as I'm new to c++ and the syntax is a bit weird, but overall great class.

By Difan G

Jan 22, 2020

The instructor made a lot of mistakes during his lecture. The material is neither clear nor easy to understand. I wish he can put more explanation on details. I am giving four stars because the instructor's response in the forum is really quick.