Back to Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++ by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course teaches learners how to write a program in the C++ language, including how to set up a development environment for writing and debugging C++ code and how to implement data structures as C++ classes. It is the first course in the Accelerated CS Fundamentals specialization, and subsequent courses in this specialization will be using C++ as the language for implementing the data structures covered in class....

EQ
Jan 12, 2020

Honestly, this is a great crash course in OOP for C++ (though the ideas can be applied to any language). Previous experience with C++ is almost a necessity, the lessons can be complicated for novices.

AR
Jan 31, 2021

Great course, simple and difficult all at the same time. Great introduction to these topics. Every thing that is included is there for a reason as every thing is straight to the point with no filler.

426 - 450 of 518 Reviews for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

By Nate K

I am by no means a software guy but I do have a little bit of experience in python and I was able to get through this course. If you are somewhat familiar with basic object-oriented programming concepts you should be fine. If this is your first programming course I would recommend starting with a more simple language and one at a more basic level. Prof Wade goes through a ton of examples which is great. The only reason I am giving this course 4 stars instead of 5 is that I feel like there are still a lot of basic concepts that I don't completely understand (templates, namespaces, etc). Overall a great course and I look forward to taking the next course. Thanks Prof Wade!

By Nasirov A

Aug 2, 2020

Overall, the course was good for me ( with BS/MS in Mechanical Eng with a lot of experience in coding numerical methods ). The material covered by the course (pointers, objects, etc) is great - basically, everything I wanted to see in this type of course. Material is presented in a rushy manner (this might be justified for an accelerated program). Lastly, I feel like more programming assignments are needed to solidify our knowledge gained throughout the course (again, this might be justified for an accelerated program). Huge thanks, for providing the opportunity to learn CS fundamentals!!!

By Mohamed K

Sep 10, 2020

The course is amazing in terms of content and tasks. I only have two comments one regarding the assignments submission system. I and a lot of people are very well familiar with visual studio as an IDE and it was so tiring to try to make it work with the assignments and the submission system, in addition to not having the ability to test the results without headache.

The other comment is the instructor sometimes goes so fast in some parts of the video lectures that need slower and deeper explaining.

Thanks a lot !

By Haadhim M A

Apr 8, 2020

As far as the knowledge I gained through this course is concerned; it was much helpful for me in understanding the constructors part better. Also the assignments were pretty challenging that tested the usage of taught concepts.

I personally felt that students would be more comfortable if they have much more clear instructions given while solving the project part as it took lot of trials for me to make in the changes with the IDE I worked with as per the project requirement.

By Tuomo T

Mar 10, 2021

The lecturer explains the concepts involved in this course really well. I was struggling to learn advanced C++ over ten years ago, because some of my foundations were not solid enough. It feels like this course gave me better foundations to now try climbing further, so thank you very much!

I'd give this course five stars, but I would like to see some improvement in the explanations of the calculations in the Week 4 final course assignment. Overall, a great course!

By Carl W

Mar 22, 2020

Pretty good class. Maybe I'd give it a 5 but I had difficulty with the final ImageTransform project. Has to be done in Linux (maybe theirs a way around it that I didn't find) and WSL (Microsoft Linux environment for a Windows box) does not support a GUI (least not straight away) and my old Linux box is very outdated I understand these issues were mine and not University of Illinois problems, but still creates hassle.

Good starter class.

By Jiawen C

Apr 30, 2021

Good class and nice structured. Though I think it might be a bit too fast-paced for beginners (with little programming experience), many details are ignored and you should make yourself comfortable with such details by researching them a little bit. For my personal experience, I have learned some C/C++ years ago but programming extensively using Python/MATLAB everyday. So this class is very useful to help pick up the C++ language.

By French M

Dec 24, 2019

It was good for me, I learned a lot, but the final project is just too complicated for me, and even with the Pdf, it's not clear at least for my level and I already took a OOP college course. I did it all but the final I am just stuck and that is frustrating. Despite the jumping in levels from video to video I did learn a lot so it is still a 4 star. Teaching is a bit fast.

By Abhay k

Nov 10, 2020

This course was really helpful. It helped me to learn basic fundamentals of c++ as a beginner. I am very much impressed with the professor's way of making things clear but what I wanted as a beginner that the assignments should have been explained by the professor instead of reading PDF ourselves then those concepts would have been more crystal clear.

By SAUGAT B

Apr 17, 2020

Wow, it was descriptive and at the same time needed quite an effort in searching various contents at google. Overall, it would be hard for novice but they can get along with little more effort. Really, the advanced mechanism for checking our submissions and not requiring peer reviews which is often slow and unreliable is praiseworthy.

By Jon L

Mar 26, 2020

Overall this course did a good job balancing sufficient levels of detail without losing the big picture with respect to OOP principles. The examples were good throughout. I thought the final image transform assignment was very interesting though not a particularly helpful indication of mastery of OOP principles.

By Diaa Y

Jul 26, 2020

I believe the course videos and lectures are pretty good. The instructor explains pretty well and makes learning this course exciting. However I think that this course needs more projects, and to be more challenging. Possibly the instructors of this course rely on subsequent courses to cover more material.

By Paul B L

Jun 5, 2020

the course helped me solve problems more strategically. The instructor also helped me make use of patterns as way to optimize code and see a problem in a more practical manner. This truly helped me enhance my skills in C++ and Data structures but also in fundamental problem solving skills.

By Justin M

Oct 25, 2019

Great course, engaging videos, and the end project was a pretty good summation of the material covered. I would have liked an assignment each week that let me practice coding a bit more, as I'm new to c++ and the syntax is a bit weird, but overall great class.

By Difan G

Jan 22, 2020

The instructor made a lot of mistakes during his lecture. The material is neither clear nor easy to understand. I wish he can put more explanation on details. I am giving four stars because the instructor's response in the forum is really quick.

By Teja s

Aug 15, 2020

I have learned so many new things from this course. The Fundamentals Object-oriented programming, data types, memory allocations, classes, templates, and inheritance are the main topics covered. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn.

By Charles W

Nov 23, 2019

When they say "accelerated" they mean it. I'm glad I took a beginner C++ class before taking this otherwise I would have been lost. Otherwise, this was a lot of fun. It made me really think and the final Week 4 project was challenging but fun.

By Bo Y

Jul 10, 2020

I like the beginning of the course more than the latter part of the course. I will I could have more practice with assignments and projects. It is not bad but I feel like towards the end the course rushes and left a lot of things unexplained.

By Anushka M

Jun 12, 2020

i think that the TA's should be more active in answering the doubts because no one else is there to help the students out and it really gets frustrating because you are into the code but don't know whats wrong.

else everything else is fine

By Cody P

Jan 2, 2021

It's a good C++ crash course, especially for someone with some object oriented programming experience. Experience in another programming language is a prerequisite--though I'm not sure they make that obvious, based on other reviews?

By Angel G

Oct 17, 2019

It is good quality and I like the pace. Since I had experience in programming, though not in C++, I could go over the material quickly and finish in a few days. Still, it feels like the contents need just a bit more polishing.

By Nithin S

Jul 18, 2020

the entire code should be shown while explaining so that it is easier for the learner to correlate and link and understand displaying of the code bit by bit in the form of snippets leads to confusion

I urge you to change that

By Satyam K N

Mar 28, 2021

Hello everyone,I just finished my Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++ course at ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, and I have to say it was a fantastic experience. I learned a lot and my understanding of this topic is more precise.

By Aditya t

Jul 4, 2020

Yes i found this course useful and also learned few new things but content wise i honestly felt need to increase and also add advanced OOP concepts like polymerphism, and few other. Overall it was good.. Thankyou..!!

By Yara S

Jun 26, 2020

I liked the course very much especially the assignments. I really enjoyed coding for this course. But sometimes I felt lost because of mentioning thing that I was supposed to be knowing before and I did not.