Back to Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Capstone by Johns Hopkins University

The capstone project class will allow students to create a usable/public data product that can be used to show your skills to potential employers. Projects will be drawn from real-world problems and will be conducted with industry, government, and academic partners....

NT

Mar 05, 2018

Capstone did provide a true test of Data Analytics skills. Its like a being left alone in a jungle to survive for a month. Either you succumb to nature or come out alive with a smile and confidence.

Mar 29, 2017

Wow i finally managed to finish the specialization!! definitely learned a lot and also found out difficulties in building predictors by trying to balancing speed, accuracy and memory constraints!!!

26 - 50 of 253 Reviews for Data Science Capstone

By Jesse S

Apr 29, 2016

Coursera lost my thoughtful 2-star review so I am replacing it with this. I learned a lot through my own efforts and through the efforts of students who bothered to post in the forums. The one mentor disappeared half-way through the course.

By Zoran K

Jun 19, 2017

Overall this was excellent track. While there was a difference in level of difficulty between the individual courses, it is probably unavoidable given the range of subject areas.

I think it would be great improvement if there was a additional 'post-grad' 'course'-like few weeks to connect to industry that is hiring from this background and get those connections to lead the 'grads' into real job interviews; Also, more projects that are direct connection to the industry, like the capstone - where those project would be dine perhaps in some kind of cooperation with the industry reps, so that graduate student here has direct path and had already worked with people that might hire him/her, where the time spent working on the capstone project includes meeting with the reps from the industry whom would have interest in the work. Something along the lines of grants for university projects (not talking about money here) but of a connection to the needs of the industry. Students working on that if they deliver good and interesting results would have one foot into the new job. This would also allow for higher fees to be charged for the classes since there would be more tangible 'selling' path.

By MEKIE Y R K

Mar 08, 2020

Really liked this overall course. I was able to get directly into data science aside from my job (quantitative analyst). This specialisation helped me makeing my way in quantitative finance with much more understanding in computing models; much more confidence in the way I will face (I am facing) datas/algorithm issues. Really struggled with the last course(capstone) I even sometime wanted to give up as I went really deep in NLP and was facing issues with my memory.

Finally I'm getting out with strenght, smile, confidence and the taste of hard work in data science projects.

Some other really important point is to learn to be humble :) . This capstone project shows us enough how far it's a constant work to be a data scientist.

Really glad to have completed all the courses; going from zero on R to near hero :)

By Zhen ( W

May 13, 2016

I had no experience in natural language processing before I took this course, and now I'm kind of in love with it! Some of my fellow learners complained about the new data type and little information provided, but I feel this is a good simulation of real world experience as a data scientist! The field is constantly changing, so we have to be ready to cope with unfamiliar problems and come up with creative solutions. Due to other commitments, I was once 3 weeks behind the weekly deadlines, but finally poured all my efforts into this and deployed an App in time... You never know how much you can accomplish before you are forced to do a "Mission Impossible" ;-) I think I've improved my hacking + googling skills, and built more confidence over completion of this course. Thank you, JHU and Coursera!

By Jose A R N

Jan 20, 2017

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this specialization to get new knowledge about Data Science and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Instructors.

By Eric R

Apr 03, 2017

For me this project was harder than all other courses combined but, because of that, also more rewarding! The theory is very scarce so you're on your own, that's what makes it hard. Once you get the theory right the rest is easy. I learned a lot of NLP and let me practice "Pitchs" using diferent R tools.

By Desiré D W

Sep 25, 2016

The Capstone starts well with sufficient guidance. The second part gives much freedom however, it might be overwhelming and unclear at times what to do next. However, I loved going out on my own and slowly learning more and more on the subject.

You can pretty much choose how much effort you put into it.

By Rongbin Y

Jun 04, 2020

Great learning experiences with multiple meaningful projects and lessons. The whole concentration has been well-designed and well-founded. I had built a solid foundation of understanding for subject. Thank you for teaching this concentration, Professor Chen, Professor Leek and Professor Caffo.

By Lucas

Aug 24, 2018

In this last module I have learned a lot. It was demanding and quite tricky as you were asked to take your own decisions as there is no best answer at all. I learned to decide what I want and to create an appropriate solution. The best lesson so far along this specialization track.

By Nirav D

Jul 03, 2016

I loved doing the capstone project for the Data Science specialisation. I applied all the skills I learnt during the length of the specialisation on Coursera. Having completed this project, I feel more confident about my skills as a data scientist in solving real world problems.

By Alma S

Jun 20, 2017

Really challenging but satisfying enough!

Thank you for Cousera team who patiently developed such a beautiful program for upskilling us, the so-called data scientist! :)

The journey to accomplish this Data Science Capstone is something I'd remember & cherish, indeed.

By Parmida B

Sep 12, 2017

Awesome specialization! Super happy to be done with 100% on all the courses and 95% on the capstone. I would love to be a part of this great team, maybe as a mentor. Thank you to all the instructors for great lectures and to mentors who helped with the forums.

By Akthem R

Mar 18, 2017

A very stimulating and challenging capstone. It is stretching and puts all the 9 specialization courses material to use. It also gives the student a glimpse of what Data Science in real life is and touches on Natural Language Processing as part of AI.

By SHREERAM A I

Jun 26, 2016

The sequence of activities in execution of the project envisages multiple interactions with your peers and unfolds your creative aspect to churn out a solution to put all the learning into practice!

Cheers, DSS team - Brian, Jeff and Roger 😁

By Javier A D

Oct 11, 2018

It was a new world for me. To hard trying to dive in the subject. But the bases and the effort to research in literature and in the foros let me develop a model of a beginner but with great knowledge to apply in new developments in my work.

By Hathairat W

Sep 19, 2019

The assignment was designed very well. I struggled and was thinking of giving up. I'm glad I didn't. The assignment actually required all skills I learnt previously. A bit time consuming but achievable. Thank you very much!

By Scott W

May 02, 2016

Was a great course. There was no hand holding, this is the capstone so it was time to put everything to use on a problem that wasn't outlined for you and required you to self study and work with others to deliver.

By Samuel Q

Jan 21, 2019

Great way to end the specialization because it forces students to think on their own and be resourceful. It is a totally different type of analysis than on any previous course so it was a great learning experience

By Ivan C

Apr 06, 2016

Amazing project! At first glanse It looks strange, but de facto it's standart data science problem: you should analyze raw data, clean it, build some models and make data product. I highly recommend this capstone.

By Luis E B

Mar 27, 2017

Excellent to start in data science. Nothing learned deeply but you understand how you can improve. Now I can improve by my own or choose other courses based on my experience, interest and capabilities.

By sairampraneeth

Mar 29, 2017

By Julia P

Oct 12, 2016

This class was a huge challenge for me, but it pushed me to learn a whole lot and practice many of the skills that I had learned in previous courses! I had a lot of fun, too. Thanks!

By Phil F

Apr 25, 2016

Well-paced, highly structured Capstone that allowed me to put to the test the skills I honed during the 9 previous courses in the JHU Data Science specialization. Strongly recommended.

By Keidzh S

Feb 17, 2019

Brilliant course, the final chapter for the data science specialization. Spent lot of time making my final project, but it wirth it. Glad that I found this specialization a year ago.

By Daniel V

Jun 21, 2017

The best part is the surprise of something totally new like NLP and the fact that you have to figure it out by yourself and then apply the theory. Guess what... just like real live.