Back to Data Structures and Performance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures and Performance by University of California San Diego

How do Java programs deal with vast quantities of data? Many of the data structures and algorithms that work with introductory toy examples break when applications process real, large data sets. Efficiency is critical, but how do we achieve it, and how do we even measure it? This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science, and in particular, we recommend that you have taken the first course in this specialization (which also requires some previous experience with Java). In this course, you will use and analyze data structures that are used in industry-level applications, such as linked lists, trees, and hashtables. You will explain how these data structures make programs more efficient and flexible. You will apply asymptotic Big-O analysis to describe the performance of algorithms and evaluate which strategy to use for efficient data retrieval, addition of new data, deletion of elements, and/or memory usage. The program you will build throughout this course allows its user to manage, manipulate and reason about large sets of textual data. This is an intermediate Java course, and we will build on your prior knowledge. This course is designed around the same video series as in our first course in this specialization, including explanations of core content, learner videos, student and engineer testimonials, and support videos -- to better allow you to choose your own path through the course!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

Dec 19, 2015

The course curriculum is well designed and teaches students the basic data structures needed to be a successful software engineer. The project is good, and the weekly assignments are challenging.

26 - 50 of 330 Reviews for Data Structures and Performance

By Raw N

Jan 24, 2017

Course is very well organized with solid projects.

By Pooja M

Jul 13, 2017

involving course and best part is the project which provides practical exposure along with conceptual knowledge

By Diyi L

Aug 03, 2017

Very good course. Although it is not very challenging in my view but it tells you the right concepts about coding, testing and debugging.

By Volodymyr B

Sep 16, 2016

It was amazing

By Sonia R

Jun 10, 2017

Great course to start off with the Data Structures and their performance.

By Bufan L

Aug 04, 2017

Absolutely fantastic! Great assignments and quiz!

By Roberto R

Apr 08, 2017

I love the course, good explanation of basics in Java.... NEEDED

By fernando s

Nov 22, 2016

best than first part

By Hanxiao Y

Aug 18, 2017

This is an amazing course which I highly recommend for all java learners!

By Maosen

Nov 07, 2016

Really good to learn and implement data structures and algorithms through project

By Charles C

May 28, 2017

Although I learned Java before, I never used it after second year of university. It has been 2 years and this series are good refreshing courses

By Aleksandar A

Jun 28, 2018

This course provided me with the understanding of necessity for implementation of various data structures. It was a bit more challenging, but fun at the same time because it helped me understand underlying algorithms that are implemented in many text processing applications. If you want to learn "serious stuff" this is the course to take.

By Shahar D

Mar 25, 2016

This Awesome I can learn for free!

By Noor

Sep 19, 2016

This is awesome!

By Yuri A P

Aug 11, 2017

Fantastic course! Filled all the gaps I had on data structures and a lot more.

By Ansh P

Jun 07, 2017

Excellent course:)

By David K M

Mar 20, 2018

Excellent. Great examples, projects, explanations of challenging concepts

By Max

Jun 28, 2017

Excellent course! Strongly recommended!

By xiaojing

Nov 11, 2017

Great !

By Oleksii P

Jan 28, 2016

very cool

By Yuriy O

Jan 04, 2016

Thanks a lot for great and interesting course.

By Paulo H S L

Feb 18, 2016

very good

By Rafael M

Jan 28, 2016

I'm graduated in System Analysis, not Computer Sciences, and learned to program only by experience. After 20 years it's a good deal but still I missed the theoretical background and this always annoyed me. I knew and used to make good use of all the structures presented in this course but never could quite explain how or why, or talk in asymptotic notations. Now I can. I didn't stop here, I do take some topics to deep dive during the lectures. It's being a great experience and I only wish I could have more time to keep myself always enrolled in some course.

By Zoran H

Feb 05, 2016

It is raising the standard.

By Andrei C

Feb 14, 2016

An exceptional course in intermediary programming!