Back to Data Structures and Performance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures and Performance by University of California San Diego

How do Java programs deal with vast quantities of data? Many of the data structures and algorithms that work with introductory toy examples break when applications process real, large data sets. Efficiency is critical, but how do we achieve it, and how do we even measure it? This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science, and in particular, we recommend that you have taken the first course in this specialization (which also requires some previous experience with Java). In this course, you will use and analyze data structures that are used in industry-level applications, such as linked lists, trees, and hashtables. You will explain how these data structures make programs more efficient and flexible. You will apply asymptotic Big-O analysis to describe the performance of algorithms and evaluate which strategy to use for efficient data retrieval, addition of new data, deletion of elements, and/or memory usage. The program you will build throughout this course allows its user to manage, manipulate and reason about large sets of textual data. This is an intermediate Java course, and we will build on your prior knowledge. This course is designed around the same video series as in our first course in this specialization, including explanations of core content, learner videos, student and engineer testimonials, and support videos -- to better allow you to choose your own path through the course!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

Dec 19, 2015

The course curriculum is well designed and teaches students the basic data structures needed to be a successful software engineer. The project is good, and the weekly assignments are challenging.

76 - 100 of 386 Reviews for Data Structures and Performance

By Abdul S S

Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting and important course. Teachers have a vast knowledge and experience . Almost all important topics related to Data Structures are cleared now.

By Gopal K

Mar 21, 2020

It was great fun to solve all the assignment problems. Worth time spending! Special thanks to Mia, she really knows how to get into the nerve of a learner.

By Lee H

Aug 28, 2017

A good overview of some fundamental data types. The programming assignments are fun and reasonably easy to implement if you have some CS background.

By Syed A A

Sep 17, 2020

Very Nice course this course have lot of knowledge. It have lot of exercise or Assignment of practices.

Overall its one of the best course for me

By Charles C

May 28, 2017

Although I learned Java before, I never used it after second year of university. It has been 2 years and this series are good refreshing courses

By Wayne A

Dec 05, 2016

Super awesome! I wish I had taken this earlier in my job search. It makes a lot of the algorithms you find in tech interviews super intuitive.

By Matthew

Feb 10, 2016

Great class. I hope to take more advanced classes with you guys, if possible. Will you a series on complexity theory, dynamic programming etc?

By Bhagwati P

Dec 28, 2019

I am halfway through this course. I already find it excellent. I usually dont feel like continuing for long but this I am gonna complete. ;-)

By Diyi L

Aug 03, 2017

Very good course. Although it is not very challenging in my view but it tells you the right concepts about coding, testing and debugging.

By Olena G

Apr 13, 2018

Fantastic topics. Good explanations by Mia (instructor).

Keep doing a great work, guy! I have restored my confidence in programming now!

By Jose L C H

Jun 16, 2016

Never know anything about Data Structure before this course and it changes everything!!! a MUST for any CS student or professional.

By Utku A

Apr 03, 2016

Projects are a lot of fun to do! I strongly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn about algoritms and data structures.

By Sergey H

Mar 14, 2016

This specialization is really efficient. I passed first course. And I'm now on a way to complete this second course and go forward.

By Geo D W

Feb 05, 2016

Such a nice course on Data Structures. Whats stands out is the simple explanation and assignments thats solves real world problem.

By 程锦

Mar 27, 2016

It's great that this specialization now get autoGrading for projects. It could be better if the Content Quiz is more challenging.

By Mykyta O

Mar 27, 2020

Excellent course with detailed explanations and valuable tests including programming assignments which are tested automatically.

By Vasileios K

Sep 10, 2017

Very good course. The professors are really interesting and fun to watch. I really like the project oriented approach they take.

By Fan Y

Jan 09, 2017

The materials are interesting, but the course can become better if the instructors discuss more about stacks, queues and trees

By FANGRONG P

Feb 01, 2016

I knew most of the concepts before I get enrolled into this course, but I find the project assignments really interesting.

By Harish B N

Jan 14, 2016

Excellent Course!

The explanation is so detail with examples, even a person new to algorithms can understand the concepts.

By Sameer N

Apr 11, 2017

Well organized course. I loved the content and the real world assignments in the course. Thank you to all the 3 trainers.

By Marcelo K Y

May 24, 2018

Very good course ! The topics covered in this course are very useful to start code more complex functionalities in java.

By Saddam H

Oct 01, 2017

Best Teaching by best way with best material, I love you my all instructors of this course, may God give you long life.

By Kate B

Apr 24, 2020

Seriously awesome content. Never in my life have I understood data structures so well. Great instructors and content!!!

By DAVID L

Jun 22, 2019

A very well thought out course. Programming assignments were challenging enough and focused on the teaching material.