Back to Data Structures and Performance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures and Performance by University of California San Diego

How do Java programs deal with vast quantities of data? Many of the data structures and algorithms that work with introductory toy examples break when applications process real, large data sets. Efficiency is critical, but how do we achieve it, and how do we even measure it? This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science, and in particular, we recommend that you have taken the first course in this specialization (which also requires some previous experience with Java). In this course, you will use and analyze data structures that are used in industry-level applications, such as linked lists, trees, and hashtables. You will explain how these data structures make programs more efficient and flexible. You will apply asymptotic Big-O analysis to describe the performance of algorithms and evaluate which strategy to use for efficient data retrieval, addition of new data, deletion of elements, and/or memory usage. The program you will build throughout this course allows its user to manage, manipulate and reason about large sets of textual data. This is an intermediate Java course, and we will build on your prior knowledge. This course is designed around the same video series as in our first course in this specialization, including explanations of core content, learner videos, student and engineer testimonials, and support videos -- to better allow you to choose your own path through the course!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

Dec 19, 2015

The course curriculum is well designed and teaches students the basic data structures needed to be a successful software engineer. The project is good, and the weekly assignments are challenging.

76 - 100 of 330 Reviews for Data Structures and Performance

By bharani m

Mar 05, 2016

Amazing course with amazing teachers .Worth every penny .

By Sergey H

Mar 14, 2016

This specialization is really efficient. I passed first course. And I'm now on a way to complete this second course and go forward.

By Sunil K

Jan 04, 2016

Very good course. This is a very right course for Java learners, will be touched on all basic stuff that are needed in Java. I will highly recommend this course for my colleagues.

By Marcelo K Y

May 24, 2018

Very good course ! The topics covered in this course are very useful to start code more complex functionalities in java.

By Vivek B

Jul 25, 2016

It was really a very good course, you can learn many data structures and its implementations along with programing assignments and quizes which are quite challenging. The idea of concept challenge was awesome. You could learn performing efficiency of the algorithms, benchmarking, linked lists trees hashmaps and other data structures.

By Yubo T

Jun 18, 2017

detailed and condense lecture, lots of hands on practical project

By Leonid M

Jan 05, 2016

Interesting and practical course.

By Terrill K

Feb 18, 2016

Excellent specialization

By Pratibind J

Jan 29, 2018

Very good course for Java programmer for Dara structure and performance.

By Arkadiusz

Dec 11, 2015

As all your coursers, great! I have learnt a lot!

By md t a

Nov 23, 2016

Content is well organised and explanation is really very good

By Rui H

Jun 01, 2018

Interesting project assignment

By Labib M R

Dec 04, 2015

The data structures are basic in this course. But I loved working on the project. I had first hand experience on how to use Java to code these structures and I think this will help me a lot in the future. The course is well designed and I would recommend it to anybody who wants to learn Basic Data Structures with Java well.

By Dixon B

Oct 13, 2017

By Akosa E

Dec 06, 2016

Very solid review of data structures. In fact, I learned a lot of new things along the way like how to benchmark test Java code and how to properly use JUnit and other unit testing frameworks.

By Jose L C H

Jun 16, 2016

Never know anything about Data Structure before this course and it changes everything!!! a MUST for any CS student or professional.

By Dhumil A

Aug 10, 2016

Excellent Course. This includes useful Data Structures. The Programming assignments are helpful. The instructors have done well to explain the concepts clearly.

By Gary W

Jan 25, 2016

Great course to refresh my memory on data structure that I haven't been thought about after graduating from college.

By Suraj S

Dec 19, 2015

By Robert C

Jun 07, 2018

Challenging. I learned a lot.

By Byambasuren G

Dec 07, 2016

Great course!

By Thomas H

Jan 23, 2016

Very challenging, but totally rewarding and worth the effot!

By Lianqiang M

Apr 04, 2016

This is a great course.

By Yubo O

Jul 28, 2017

It gave a rather thorough intro to basic data structures and taught me to do a fantastic project. Thanks!

By FANGRONG P

Feb 01, 2016

I knew most of the concepts before I get enrolled into this course, but I find the project assignments really interesting.