Back to Building Database Applications in PHP

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Database Applications in PHP by University of Michigan

In this course, we'll look at the object oriented patterns available in PHP. You'll learn how to connect to a MySQL using the Portable Data Objects (PDO) library and issue SQL commands in the the PHP language. We'll also look at how PHP uses cookies and manages session data. You'll learn how PHP avoids double posting data, how flash messages are implemented, and how to use a session to log in users in web applications. We'll then build the first 'complete' application that has multiple screens to Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) our data. This brings all the previous concepts together and will form the basis for all later web applications. It is assumed that learners have already taken the Building Web Applications course in this specialization....

AA
Jun 29, 2018

Awesome course, I think anyone who wants to do web app stuff should try this. Although it would a little difficult to go through the autograder, but believe me, It's worth it. Dedication is the key.

LN
Jun 17, 2020

Fantastic courses that does a fantastic job of pulling everything together that we learned in the PHP (course 1) and SQL (course 2) courses of the Web Applications for Everyone specialization.

1 - 25 of 195 Reviews for Building Database Applications in PHP

By Jack

Jan 7, 2020

The best course in the sequence. Chuck is a fun and entertaining instructor, he'll walk you through the history of the internet (and interview some key people) and teach you the fundamentals of back-end development. Yeah the technology used is becoming dated, things like PHP, LAMP stack, and Bootstrap 3 tend to power legacy code not newer projects. But the fundamentals don't change, and this serves as a good basis for more library based frameworks that do a lot of the work for you. By the end of the course, you'll learn three things: 1) Back-end fundamentals and history, 2) How to build a CRUD App using PHP / mySQL, and 3) E's Jammy Jams

Make sure you know HTML and CSS, and the PHP and SQL introduced in the previous courses, before commencing with this one. Mastering this course is the most important in the specialization, the next one with Jquery and JSON is just extra icing on the cake, but this CRUD app stuff is most crucial and relevant. Assignments are marked with an auto-grader and are peer-reviewed.

By Jacques D

Apr 29, 2019

I appreciated this course. It was simple and succinct. I'm using the topics learned as a basis for more learning. Sadly, there are no courses on Advanced PHP.

By Irana

May 19, 2018

The best Instructor Professor Teacher I have ever seen!

Amazing course for anyone or everyone indeed!

Thanks endlessly to Dr.Chuck! He is Number 1!

By Porfirio H

Mar 18, 2018

I totally recomend this course. This, together with all the courses in the specialization, provides all you need to begin in wep application development. It requires you to already know some programming, though, especially Object Oriented. The lectures are thorough, interesting and with the characteristic teaching style of Dr. Chuck. The course is also filled with additional resources (template code, useful links, interviews, ppt slides). The assignments were in the right place regarding difficulty; that is, not to easy not too hard. Finally, I found the graduation ceremony video really cool and it really felt as a reward for completing the courses. There are now many online resources for learning web dev. Believe me, enrol in Dr. Chuck's courses.

By Jim L

Dec 5, 2020

Really good course. Challenging but not too hard. Really stimulates thinking and encourages students to research more rather than just depend on the course content. The knowledge gained is really practical - we can build actually functioning web applications that have a database back-end. Also Dr Charles (the lecturer) is really interesting and engaging.

By Žilvinas T

Nov 28, 2020

The course was very instructive, all the details were explained two or three times in a single video and the course instructor was very charismatic and fun to listen to! Thanks for the course!

By Kirill A

Apr 30, 2020

The best online course I have done. Very thorough and possibly a little bit challenging for begginers. You have to put in some work and follow carefully. Very well made assignments. Thank you!

By Aniruddh M

It was both challenging and interesting. I've got stuck so many times. The key is to come back to the lectures and mainly stick to the basics. Otherwise, the assignments are quite doable.

By Soh W K

Apr 4, 2018

One of the most insightful courses about interfacing HTML,CSS,mySQL, integrated with PHP. You will gain years of experience with Dr. Chuck's courses!

By Saksham S

Jun 17, 2018

This course can be thought of as a great launch pad for people opting for PHP applications. The lectures are crystal clear and nothing seems complex when Professor Severance is the instructor. Assignments were also pretty helpful in understanding the concepts explained in the lectures. Doesn't go deep into the material but gives you all the tools to do the rest of digging by yourself.

By SATHISH S

Oct 14, 2020

definitely challenging... takes longer time for beginner, but upon completion, beginner must have put a strong foundation. poor support in discussion forums. struggled a lot, read some code online to understand, create and copycat for my codes. finding loopholes in my work was challenging. otherwise a great course. fantastic

By SEGUN O

Sep 6, 2020

It was sooo... much fun learning with Dr. Chuck.

I think he's the best!

The Unofficial hours videos and the virtual graduation ceremony (very funny and genius).

Not the mention the amazing interviews with the amazing bodies and inventors.

Dr. Chuck is really inspiring, God bless him!

By Willian G

May 11, 2018

I got here from the SQL introduction course. I must say this one was even better and it explains a lot that I have always been confused about.

Now, most of my challenges are about how to use the knowledge I could get here in order to construct efficient code for the web.

By Lennox S S

Jun 3, 2019

This course tied up the first two courses of this specialization very beautifully. I went from knowing nothing in web development to creating my own application. I would highly recommend everyone to take this full specialization and thanks to University of Michigan.

By Mohd S H

Jun 23, 2020

dr-chuck is always a great instructor to have

Only problem with the course is with the teaching staff on forums they do not respond on time also when they respond they always have a problem with the students looks like they don't want to answer the question

By Simon H

Aug 23, 2019

Very happy that I took this course. Provides a good structural base to start building applications. Principles are described and explained in plain language . Fun assignments and nice way of building applications on previous assignments.

By Chinmai A C

May 28, 2021

B​est Course ever. The previous course called "Building Web Applications in PHP" motivated to take up this course and this course is on a completely different level. Now I have confidence that I can build database applications in PHP.

By Peter Z

Jul 20, 2020

Dr.Chuck is my favorite teacher and the lessons are easy to learn. The whole course nicely used all the tools I learned before and now I was able to use it and use my knowledge to successfully complete the course. I recommend it.

By Michael S

Nov 29, 2020

This course has put many parts together making it the best part in the specialization.

Dr Chuck did a great job making it easy to understand and apply every part.

Every piece of information included was very helpful and practical.

By Yap K Y

Jul 26, 2020

It state this course for beginners , but actually it for beginners to become expert in the future. I love how the professor teaching me. Very good. and the assignment prepare by them are very mind blowing. thanks alot!!

By Alice L

May 3, 2018

I learned so much about good structure and security in this course! Dr. Chuck is a fantastic instructor, very personable and I've always enjoyed his lectures. I highly recommend Web Applications for Everyone.

By Javier M

Nov 11, 2018

It is a very good course, but at times a bit difficult, since it includes all types of languages such as HTTP, CSS, PHP and SQL. Thank for the TA's invaluable help to get over the most difficult hurdles.

By Avnish

Jun 30, 2018

By Ladd K N

Jun 18, 2020

By shihab s

Oct 5, 2020

Help a lot to learn the SESSION, COOKIE, GET, POST. Finally I had earn all the error code meaning. The 302 return code was new to me and I enjoyed the course very much.