Back to Building Database Applications in PHP

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Database Applications in PHP by University of Michigan

In this course, we'll look at the object oriented patterns available in PHP. You'll learn how to connect to a MySQL using the Portable Data Objects (PDO) library and issue SQL commands in the the PHP language. We'll also look at how PHP uses cookies and manages session data. You'll learn how PHP avoids double posting data, how flash messages are implemented, and how to use a session to log in users in web applications. We'll then build the first 'complete' application that has multiple screens to Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) our data. This brings all the previous concepts together and will form the basis for all later web applications. It is assumed that learners have already taken the Building Web Applications course in this specialization....

AA
Jun 29, 2018

Awesome course, I think anyone who wants to do web app stuff should try this. Although it would a little difficult to go through the autograder, but believe me, It's worth it. Dedication is the key.

KA
Apr 29, 2020

The best online course I have done. Very thorough and possibly a little bit challenging for begginers. You have to put in some work and follow carefully. Very well made assignments. Thank you!

151 - 175 of 195 Reviews for Building Database Applications in PHP

Nov 7, 2020

cool

By Manal D y

Jul 31, 2020

good

By Harshdeep S

Nov 7, 2020

GUD

By Nathan G

Feb 24, 2019

The 3 chapters I read in book (Missing Link) were fabulous. Excited to read more. I picked up a bunch of very helpful points following Dr CSev. However, sometimes talking over my head and referenced "(stuff we learned earlier)." I had not taken other courses in specialization but it seemed like I was missing videos. I had to stop and do research to find out what he's talking about on numerous topics. (e.g. htmlentities, SQL, location of sample code, how placeholders avoid injection, etc). Often he talked too fast and glossed over points, didn't explain how to deploy code or what happens after success coding. "And off you go" doesn't help the newbie like me. I often didn't know how to use/implement the lesson. Even if it was mentioned earlier, the purpose/use should be repeated/demonstrated again when done. Also, a newbie could use hard-to-miss instructions on how to take the course, where/when to download resources, etc. I was bouncing around trying to figure out how the whole thing worked.

By imcven

Oct 18, 2020

Probaby the best course on PHP web applications for begginers in the world of MOOCs; the teacher (Dr. Chuck) approaches the subject from a amazingly friendly point of view, introducing key concepts and building on previous courses on PHP and SQL; thus, I won't recommend it unless you haven't them, or at least have a basic foundation on SQL.

As for its shortcomings, the wording of the instructions for the assignments are often sloppy, so you have to spend some extra time to make sure you understand what you're supposed to do.

However, all in all this was an excellent first course for a would back-end developer like myself.

By Antonio S M

Aug 7, 2019

Really good and clear lectures with fun and challenging assignments. This course is especially good if you followed the previous ones within the specialization.

The only thing I'm missing would be more advanced stuff or at least a follow up, more challenginig course (e.g. learning about different frameworks, security, more advanced PHP, a capstone project, etc.)

By Eugene B

Aug 27, 2019

The course is highly useful, yet the assignment descriptions and Staff replies on forums need better wording and spelling. There were typos, misleading semantics, and grammatically incorrect statements which make material comprehension to feel more difficult.