Back to Designing the Organization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Designing the Organization by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Organizations are complex and can be difficult to manage well. So managers need tools to help them better understand and deal with the many complexities and challenges associated with organizational life. In this course, you will learn theories, principles, and frameworks that will help you to design more effective organizations. We will view organizations from different perspectives that we will use as lenses to help us bring common organizational challenges, and solutions to those challenges, into focus. Some of these common challenges include clarifying the organization’s purpose, setting up effective governance systems, measuring organizational effectiveness, choosing an appropriate organizational structure, dealing with growing pains, and responding to changes outside the organization. As you learn and apply the principles from this course, you will be better prepared to effectively navigate the challenges that you face in your own organization....

DS

Apr 28, 2020

It was the hardest, but best course so far. Surely, it will be very useful to apply in any context. It gives one satisfaction to better understand leaders, organizations, and what could be better.

WR

Jun 26, 2019

I really learnt many useful things and skills by this course. Really thanks your Coursera team for giving us this chance to complete our education while sitting at home. THANKS!

101 - 125 of 177 Reviews for Designing the Organization

By Mohammed M M

Dec 13, 2019

GREAT

By Malek A A

good

By Mohamad M H

Mar 30, 2019

e

By Subash K

May 16, 2018

G

By Richard M ( D J

Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed taking Designing the Organization: From Strategy to Organizational Structure, which is my third course in the Strategic Leadership & Management Coursera specialization with the University of Illinois. I enjoyed all aspects of the course because it gave me insight into how organizations come together, and the strategies that should be employed when putting together organizations. I unknowingly followed many of these principles when putting together organizations and teams, and the course showed me where I made mistakes, and outlined some course corrections for me for the future. Due to business needs I took quite a bit of time to complete this course, but I still got a lot out of the course. I think the most recent study, Week 4: Elements of Organizational Design - Integration was one of my favorite areas of the course. Once you set on a path to put an organization together, you do have to integrate, and the organization needs to execute on its objectives. I particularly like the last reflection essay, which I did on Why Corporate Functions Stumble, as I found a lot of applicability to my own work in this article.

By Zaw Z O

Sep 18, 2018

This research based specialization has provided the fundamental knowledge and essential skills in from daily strategic leadership to Managing organization effectively; you will see how the course is precise and concise that leads the potential leverage for achieving your organization’s goals and sustaining its long-term success.

By Dennison L

Apr 06, 2020

This course is a pretty decent primer on organizational structures and controls of them. I wish it had more strategy and design decision elements, with more specific examples with pro/con of each. As it stands, it is more of a description of the various elements.

By Raul N C G

Sep 30, 2018

Good course with solid content. The earlier portion, modules 1 & 2, were somehow thougher to follow, unlike the 2nd portion and the two previous course by Prof. Gregory Northcraft. Regardless, it is worthy learning.

By Ismail I

Dec 27, 2016

The course is nice but the wording of the course is heavy and is confusing most of the time.

You've to put a lot of effort in trying to understand what the instructor means or want to say/ask.