Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 2 - Differentiation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 2 - Differentiation by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this second part--part two of five--we cover derivatives, differentiation rules, linearization, higher derivatives, optimization, differentials, and differentiation operators....

JB

Feb 18, 2018

So much fun, and hits all sorts of things I'd always wanted to know. The homework took me a long time, so I didn't get to watch all the bonus lectures, but the ones I did were really interesting.

WG

Feb 17, 2017

Not a class for someone with no calculus experience. However, if you have some calculus knowledge it will deepen your knowledge more than any other MOOC I have found. Truly a great course.

126 - 134 of 134 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 2 - Differentiation

By kanagaratnam j

Jan 20, 2016

very need the lecture note

By 马包威

Jun 13, 2017

easy to understand

By Alain P L

Mar 15, 2017

Bonjour.

By Leah J

Jun 25, 2020

This course is extremely difficult, and it is in one's best interest to have already taken Calculus 1-4, Differential Equations, and other various mathematics courses before taking this course.

Despite the difficulty of the course, the material was quite interesting, and Dr. Ghrist is a great professor. Thank you Coursera!

By Dominic A

May 22, 2020

For someone like myself who took this course as a refresher after not having taken a formal calculus class after some 40 years, I found that this course required knowledge of aspects of mathematics that had been forgotten and not covered in the course.

By omar k

Very low exercises

very low exercises

very low exercises

By m4nu

Sep 24, 2020

I appreciate it to be a hard course and I really enjoyed the quizzes that are indeed challenging which I enjoyed but in my opinion, the video material in this course makes too many assumptions on what the student knows and leave big gaps. My experience would have been so much better if there were additional pointers on how to acquire the missing information.

Overall this course is appropriate for someone with strong calculus foundations, looking for a refresher but no so much for a self-taught student like myself.

By Sabina K S

Aug 27, 2017

The course is interesting, but it's major drawback is the lack of good answers or at least hints for quizes and exams.

By Ken H

Jul 09, 2020

Lectures aren't useful for problems/quizzes.