Back to Fundamentals of Digital Image and Video Processing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Digital Image and Video Processing by Northwestern University

In this class you will learn the basic principles and tools used to process images and videos, and how to apply them in solving practical problems of commercial and scientific interests. Digital images and videos are everywhere these days – in thousands of scientific (e.g., astronomical, bio-medical), consumer, industrial, and artistic applications. Moreover they come in a wide range of the electromagnetic spectrum - from visible light and infrared to gamma rays and beyond. The ability to process image and video signals is therefore an incredibly important skill to master for engineering/science students, software developers, and practicing scientists. Digital image and video processing continues to enable the multimedia technology revolution we are experiencing today. Some important examples of image and video processing include the removal of degradations images suffer during acquisition (e.g., removing blur from a picture of a fast moving car), and the compression and transmission of images and videos (if you watch videos online, or share photos via a social media website, you use this everyday!), for economical storage and efficient transmission. This course will cover the fundamentals of image and video processing. We will provide a mathematical framework to describe and analyze images and videos as two- and three-dimensional signals in the spatial, spatio-temporal, and frequency domains. In this class not only will you learn the theory behind fundamental processing tasks including image/video enhancement, recovery, and compression - but you will also learn how to perform these key processing tasks in practice using state-of-the-art techniques and tools. We will introduce and use a wide variety of such tools – from optimization toolboxes to statistical techniques. Emphasis on the special role sparsity plays in modern image and video processing will also be given. In all cases, example images and videos pertaining to specific application domains will be utilized....

VT

Mar 21, 2019

AMAZING COURSE.\n\nTAKES YOU THROUGH EVERY TOPIC IN IMAGE PROCESSING.\n\nTHIS COURSE GREATLY HELPED ME WITH UNIVERSITY STUDIES AS WELL,\n\nTHANK YOU NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY AND PROFESSOR AGGELOS K.

HS

Oct 07, 2018

This course is much simpler and easier to understand for those who wanna get and set their goals towards the image engineering field. Really enjoy much doing this course. THank you everyone !!!

51 - 75 of 245 Reviews for Fundamentals of Digital Image and Video Processing

By Parul K

May 10, 2017

This course was amazing. And to be very honest I learnt a lot from this. The content and tutorial was very good and it proved to be very helpful in taking my works.

By Dr. P A K

Oct 09, 2017

It is indeed a good course for a student to learn basics. The videos are very explanatory and the slides for each week provide best summary for revision.

By Arijit D

This course is very useful and fundamental for those we are studying Image and Video Processing and would like to enhance their skills in this domain.

By Abirami K

Mar 01, 2018

An excellent course which make me feel myself proud. I wholeheartedly thank my professor for sharing his knowledge.Thank u sir i really enjoyed it

By Liubov F

Jan 18, 2019

Спасибо за этот курс. Он очень интересный и заставляет много думать. А это очень хорошо. Главное, что эти знания очень нужны в современной жизни.

By Zeng H

Aug 16, 2017

Great for learning image processing

This course include some important basic knowledge of signal processing as well as advanced topics and methods

By Foudil A

Jan 14, 2019

Excellent. I would like to thank all the team of coursera and professor

Aggelos K. Katsaggelos for his pedagogical way of presenting the course.

By Yaw G

Jun 18, 2017

This course was quite intensive and very informative. I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about image and video processing techniques.

By Suhas A

Jan 06, 2018

Got to know the importance of Math, how math works in the background. Understood the basic programming with Matlab. Interesting concepts

By Shantanu P

Apr 05, 2020

It was really a great learning experience. The course material was very nicely organized and easy to understand. Thank you so much.

By Harikrishnan P N

Dec 13, 2017

I am a newbie in image processing (from audio processing). I found this course interesting and I learnt a lot of new things. Thanks

By Jong H S

Nov 20, 2016

I enjoy the intensity and pace of curriculum offered in this course. The materials presented were comprehensive and relevant.

By Mohammed F

Oct 22, 2018

this course has helped me so much in gaining knowledge .The material in the course is relevent and easily understandable.

By Smriti V

Jul 29, 2017

It is an excellent course which gives a comprehensive overview of the various techniques for image and video processing.

By Aleksey M

Jun 25, 2017

This course gave me a new look at image processing techniques. I learned about solutions I previously did not think of.

By Jairo E M D

Feb 12, 2017

The course has been quite interesting, I have learned many things, which I will certainly apply in my work.

thanks.

By Raghavendra S

Nov 30, 2018

amazing experience thank you for all the important techniques that have been imparted to me won't ever forget it.

By Sampath D M A

May 01, 2020

I learn extra things related to digital image and video processing. It is so attractive to learn this course.

By Andrew B

Jun 15, 2017

Great course the really goes into depth about image processing, and gives good details and real life examples

By R.jaswanth r

May 05, 2017

It's really a wonderful experience learning with coursera. I am very happy with faculty also he teached well.

By Vijayalakshmi B

Jul 06, 2019

An extremely helpful and informative course.

I would definitely take another course with him in the future.

By Hemalatha N

Aug 04, 2019

This course is very useful to learn about basic concepts of image processing along with its applications...

By sai S

Aug 22, 2018

The course is quite excited and very use full to learn new thing about digital image and signal processing

By Krinali S

Jan 11, 2020

Great course with a good mentor and good material , also the quiz provide a method to apply the knowledge

By Bader A

Sep 25, 2018

What amazing professor. This course is highly recommended for the all electronics and computer engineers.