Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH
Apr 5, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

PM
Oct 17, 2020

Even as a dinosaur nerd, I still learned a lot. Instructional videos with embedded quizzes were very well constructed. I'm just a bit bummed that I couldn't access the fossil viewer for some reason.

176 - 200 of 953 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By LYNELLE T W Q

Jul 11, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this module! It was a great introduction to dinosaurs and the world before humans existed. The terminologies and names of dinosaurs might be hard to keep up with but the instructors explained them well and concisely. I recommend this to anyone who loves dinosaurs like I do!

By Isabella S

A fantastic, fun, and fascinating course that I enjoyed every step off. It was challenging but not overwhelming and the videos and notes were interesting to read, with brilliant instructors. This course allowed me to fulfil my childhood dream of studying dinosaurs and I am immensely grateful.

By Richard E

Oct 25, 2019

I was torn between 4 and 5 stars. The content is excellent as ar the provided references. The presenters clearly know their subject matter and are excellent communicators.

Work is needed to go back and debug all of the English transcripts which are loaded with miswordings and misspellings.

By Nicole L

Apr 9, 2020

Really enjoyed it and am very glad something like this is accessible to everyone. Thank you! Minor bug, please give more time on the interactive questions in the videos before switching to the screen with answer options. Some need you to be able to look at the picture longer. Thanks again!

By Carno73 S

Jun 10, 2018

This course was very educational, and I absolutely enjoyed it. I learned a lot about dinosaurs not only from the videos each week, but also from the handout PDFs. Looking forward to studying paleobiology in the future, possibly at the U of A! Thank you for providing this great online course!

By omnaren v

Jun 25, 2020

i really like this course ,as a 13 year old i have a very inquisitive mindset and i really enjoyed the tutoring.This course has also been able to expand my career options and will anyways help me in zoology .the only bad part was that my 3D fossil viewer did not work the whole course:)LOL.

By Steve B

Oct 7, 2019

An excellent overview presented in a very accessible way by a very enthusiastic team.

Totally coincidentally I visited the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta in the month before I started this course. To see the museum and its specimens used to present this course was just amazing.

Many thanks!

By Phillip W R

Aug 4, 2017

This was a fantastic course! It really opened my eyes about a lot of misconceptions I had about dinosaurs. I really liked how the course emphasized not only dinosaur behavior and anatomy, but they also focused on putting dinosaurs in an evolutionary, ecological, and geographical context.

By Zyanya M O

Sep 6, 2020

My childhood dream come true, at 30 years old. It was very entertaining, I learned more than I thought I would, and I was able to start in the way of Sciences (I'm from Humanities). I will definitely be seeing you soon (2021) for the other dino-courses in the series!

Thank you so much!

By Andres F

Oct 10, 2018

Excellent course! I liked the last reflexive thought: We, the society, should guide our efforts in protect and conserve species in danger and propose practical solutions to solve the contamination problem and the greenhouse effect, instead of trying to resurrect ancient extinct species.

By Jaime E A G

Jul 17, 2017

Sincerely this is the best introductory Dinosaur Paleobiology course since Paleoworld of Discovery channel. The retrospective and prospective methodology of the course, the real specimens of fossils of UOA and field work of a paleontologist are the fortress of DINO 101. Thanks so much!

By Jonathan M

Oct 27, 2016

A serious, attractive and well done MOOC. Big thanks to Mr Curry and his whole team for sharing knowledges in Paleonthology with people interested in. I really enjoyed learning those courses, which deal with many topics, give the basics and more about new discoveries. Best whishes !

By Daniel A A C

Jan 19, 2021

This has been, by far, one of the best courses I've ever taken in Coursera. It provided me useful knwoledge to complement my Historical Geology classes at college (I'm a Geology student), learning more about how dinosaurs appeared, evolved and disappeared along all the Mesozoic Era.

By Andrew D s

Mar 26, 2020

Was a very detailed and educational course, it debunked a lot of theories, and it explained things in great detail, I have always considered myself an “arm chair” dinosaur expert, but this class opened my eyes to a great many things,. Awesome class, awesome instructors/teachers.

By Anirban D

Jan 17, 2019

So far this course has really helped me a lot. Everyday I am learning something new and exciting and I really appreciate the effort put through by the instructors to help us get familiar with the aspects of paleontology. Looking forward to the rest of the contents of the course.

By Lucas G M

Jul 14, 2020

The entire course was utterly amazing. From beggining to end, it does not fail in bringing interesting facts about not only the dinossaurs themselves, but the land and ecossystems they used to live. I strong recommend this course to Dinos addicts and/or paleontology beginners

By Angel G B R

Apr 8, 2020

Es un gran curso básico de introducción al conocimiento sobre diversos aspectos, principalmente sobre paleobiología de dinosaurios, pero también sobre aspectos básicos de biología, geología, que cualquier interesado en los dinosaurios, debería tomar para conocer un poco más.

By James M

May 25, 2017

this was the best course ever to take and I learned a lot more about the history and study of how dinosaurs behaved how they adapted and how they lived and I love this course I have been into dinosaurs since I was a toddler also Philip and Betsey are the best paleontologist

By Sarthak J

May 22, 2020

The explanation is excellent. Field visits and showing fossils in the lectures were really interesting & I enjoyed the site aswell. Thanks to the Professors of the course, I will personally send email after couple of days once I get the certificate. Thanks to entire team !

By Amy S

Oct 14, 2021

We completed this course as a family and really enjoyed it! It was interesting for us adults as well as our 6 and 8 year old! We learned a lot and even went to Dinosaur Provincial Park mid way through the course to get the full experience! Thank you for this great course!

By Evelyn L

Apr 13, 2021

This course was terrific! I've always been fascinated with dinosaurs so was really looking forward to learning more about them. The course was very well planned and logical. The presenters and actual presentations were top-notch. I have learned so much in these 12 weeks!

By Rachel D

I loved the course! Dinosaurs have fascinated me for decades and learning more about them and their time periods was a great way to expand my knowledge. All of the presenters were great and the content is easy to follow even if you know bits and pieces once you begin it.

By Jasper S

Dec 19, 2018

This course was absolutely fantastic! It taught me so much about dinosaurs and about biology that I didn't know before. My background is in Analytical Chemistry, so it was really great and exciting to learn about something I'd never really gone that in depth with before!

By Travis L

Feb 19, 2021

A great introduction to the world of Dinosaurs. I would recommend this course to not only beginners but intermediates to cement that base understanding of the fundamentals. I particularly liked how the readings and videos overlap to make each other easier to understand.

By ewww i

Feb 1, 2021

very In-depth and provide so many Invaluable resources and lecture notes. The structure of the lectures with quizzes part way through and tests at the end of each module Is very effective. The ability to download In advance all the modules notes Is very beneficial also.