Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH

Apr 06, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

TW

Dec 16, 2017

The instructors' explanation are very clear and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Paleontology or dinosaurs in general. I really had fun learning.

76 - 100 of 749 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Rachel H

Jul 01, 2020

This was a very informative, entertaining, and engaging course. I especially appreciated the interactive nature of it, going well beyond simple "end-of-module" quizzes. The questions posed in the middle of the modules allowed me as a learner to think about (and process) what had been said in a way that made the information applicable and relevant. Would highly recommend to others!

By Kieran S

Dec 11, 2017

Absolutely fantastic!! As an already qualified scientist in biology this course was useful even for someone like myself with a degree. This course has the right balance between basic dinosaur science for the dinosaur "hobbiest" and more scientific information for someone like myself looking for more of a challenge. It was fun, engaging and interesting!! I only wish there was more!

By Vaishnavi P

Jul 07, 2020

i'm an undergraduate student majoring in zoology. the beautiful and little known world of dinosaurs had always fascinated and hence i want to become a paleontologist in the coming future. this course was really helpful in making me understand what, why, how and when of paleontology and this basic knowledge has set up a strong and concrete base for my future studies. thank you

By Sanoop M

May 09, 2018

This course is just awesome, and so are the instructors! It was an amazing ride over the last 12 weeks and I learned a lot about dinosaurs .The focus on the scientific method rather than just a pool of data is praiseworthy. It has given me an impetus to research further on these amazing groups of animals.

Thank you Betsy,Phil, Gavin, and the rest of the staff.. :)

Sanoop M

By Zach E

Aug 24, 2020

Thank you all! I've always loved dinosaurs and this was a great overall lesson of everything dinosaur. The "quiz" questions given throughout the lectures were not always just to see if you were paying attention in the lecture, but also to hypothesize and think critically. I thought those were very effective! Hopefully someday I can visit the University and its resources.

By Rachel G

Aug 13, 2019

I have had an exceptional time participating in this course! I've had an interest in paleontology for a while, and this was a great introduction course. The reading is super informative and very interesting. The mini quizzes within the videos are very helpful and are useful tools to keep you on track. I have loved everything about this course. I'll probably take another!

By Toby C

Jun 19, 2020

I've thoroughly enjoyed this whole course and learnt a great many things. I'd like to think this a fantastic stepping stone and has opened me up to a variety of options moving forward. My interest has grown and I am looking forward to further study and learning in the future.

The accessibility of the course is perfect and i highly recommended it to anyone considering it.

By Tim K

Jun 05, 2018

Dino 101 was well written and presented. Quality work by leaders in their field. The readings were interesting and clear though some of the lessons could use some proofing for typos and syntax edits. I have already enrolled in another palaeontology course presented by the University of Alberta and plan to take the other courses offered in palaeontology by them as well.

By Erin B

Jun 09, 2017

So much fun to learn about paleontology! I joined this course after a visit to the Museum of Natural History here in New York. I realized I could take a class for free and learn so much more than even a day at the museum could teach me. Sometimes the quizzes were challenging, but I feel like I am much more knowledgeable now and hope to learn more in the future. Thanks!

By Chelsea I B

Apr 28, 2020

Holy cow so much material. I had a blast learning about Dinos and so much more. Betsy, Phil, and the rest of the presenters did an amazing job and really showed they knew their stuff. This class made me excited to keep learning. I appreciated the provided notes as they gave a variety of information that supplemented and reinformed what they were saying in the videos.

By sarah c

Jun 28, 2020

Thank you so much for awakening the long lost passion which I have had for paleontology and all things Dinosaur. This course is superb not only does it educate you, it is done in an understandable manner and the tutors are very engaging . I enjoined this course so much I have signed up for another with the University of Alberta. Thank you to all persons involved.

By Megan W

Jul 02, 2019

This is a fascinating course! You are sure to learn many interesting things about dinosaurs, dinosaur terminology and the time periods they lived in. Easy to follow with great instructors, and well thought out lesson structure. Quick review questions in each lesson make this course easy to comprehend. I recommend this course to anyone with an interest in Dinosaurs.

By Jonathan J L

Aug 15, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in paleontology and biology in general. The course material is engaging and presented in a format that is accessible to students of any age and level of education. The lessons are also an enjoyable introduction to other scientific areas beyond the dinosaurian focus of the title.

By Cesar L

Apr 06, 2020

Great course with great teachers. Reading material and videos complement each other in a way it makes it much nicer to learn. It was always a dream to know more about dinosaurs and now I will enjoy much more my visits to museums and articles about this group. Perhaps, as a documentary maker, one day will prepare something about them! Many thanks from Brazil!!

By Diogo d L F

Jun 19, 2020

I was always fascinated by dinosaurs, from a very young age, I even thought about pursuing a career as a paleontologist at some point (today I work with crocodilians!). The course was wonderful, I was able to revisit a lot that I had read when I was younger and learned many other things! Thank you very much to everyone who makes this amazing course possible!

By Destinee M

Oct 27, 2019

I absolutely love this course. You can take efficient notes and refer back to the videos through them. Some small spelling errors in the notes but it is always an easy fix. Really interesting facts and information involving dinosaurs as well as some interactive puzzles and questions in the videos. Overall very fun and easy to do, even with a busy schedule.

By Sarah O

Jul 05, 2020

This was a very useful, fun, and engaging course. Being a more-than-casual dinosaur fan already, I still learned so many new things and unlearned some false illusions I had regarding paleobiology. This course had great resources and was easy to follow along with. Thanks so much for such a wonderful time! I'm excited to continue my paleontology education!

By Alex P

May 28, 2018

A most informative, interesting, understandable course!

I must confess that I studied Biology and Geology (B.sc) and yet I had real fun refreshing what I know and learn new thing.

I am an english speaker, but it is not my first language, yet I understood everything, the speech was very clear and the PDFs for each class help.

Overall, a wonderfull course.

By Jessica W

Aug 14, 2020

Great course, very well organized! The only issue is some dead links in the readings and the fossil viewer does not work. Otherwise I highly recommend this and it is well worth the time.

Side note...there is a big problem with a lack of representation of POC in paleontology. It would be nice of some of the presenters were members of the global majority.

By Sourav C

Jun 20, 2017

It was a real pleasure for me to take this course. I had the opportunity to learn about so many aspects of ancient dinosaurs that were previously unknown to me. I am grateful to the team of University of Alberta and coursera for giving me the opportunity to learn more about this incredible subject. Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to learn .

By Amanda B

This course was set up nicely with lesson reading, videos, interactives, and quizzes. The instructors were very knowledgeable and presented information easily to those with no dino or minimal anthropology background. It was extremely helpful to me as I set up a fossils and findings course in my school. I would definitely take courses from them again!

By Rohit P

Jun 04, 2020

I am a zoology graduate and was in strict need for paleobiology knowledge. This course provided me with all that and more. The professors are great and they have put a lot of hardwork into buiding this course and it shows. This course in itself is very well put. Every little detail is well put, the tutor is friendly and the material is exceptional!

By Marcos G M

Nov 01, 2018

Está genial este curso, sí que es verdad que algunas palabras son muy técnicas y yo algunas no las supe, pero en general se entiende y la traducción está perfecto. Me encanta este curso, está muy bien elaborado y para todo aquél "friki" de los dinosaurios, este curso es idóneo para aprender a conocerlos y estudiarlos. Muchas gracias. Un saludo.

By ERIC S R

Aug 17, 2020

It´s an amazing course lo learn more about Dinosaurs ! I´m a geology student, I didn´t know many basic concepts of biology, but this course really helped me to learn more about biology and paleobiology. I really recommend this course !!! - Greetings from Torreón, Coahuila, México ! Eric Sánchez Ramos from the Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua.