Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

51 - 75 of 700 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Niraj P

Aug 5, 2020

Too many documents to read and very few videos. The videos were not very good either. The instructor(s) should have put more effort into building the online course instead of just putting up the reading material.

By Kanha A

Oct 2, 2016

Lots of readings! Would have loved a more engaging format. Also found the content slightly ambiguous, you might have to do some trial and error and might be surprised at the answers in the quiz.

By Cong W

Mar 14, 2020

The lecture is non-useful. The ppt slides are ok but hard to generate information. It is hard to complete and learn knowledge from this course.

By Keith P

Aug 12, 2020

I'm really interested in material like this but I found the tests to be unfair (questions on untaught material, use of ambiguous language)

By Jude N

Aug 2, 2020

The course concentrates mainly on readings. I hope that they include more video resources explaining the course in detail.

By SOUMYA K 1

May 9, 2020

The course contents are interesting but the explanation provided is not sufficient to understand certain topics.

By Aekachan P

Oct 25, 2018

it is a very good and useful course but the content is too little so that I cannot understand the context.

By Niraj S

Jun 19, 2020

The quizzes were very vague in my opinion and there wasn't enough resources provided

By Lakhbir k

Jun 23, 2020

It's a good course from that I had learned basic things of finance

By Thomas L

Jul 25, 2020

Not great, very strange examples, badly explained.

By Rabih I

Sep 10, 2019

The learning path is not smooth

By Hao D

Aug 30, 2018

I

By Irene S F

Sep 11, 2020

I am deeply intrigued by the subject and was excited to embark on this Behavioral Finance course, especially as a person who works in banking. I figured it would be fun because learning why people are inclined towards certain financial decisions is geekily riveting to me! My other experiences with Coursera classes have been worthwhile and engaging, this however, is a disaster. Basically you're given cruddy powerpoint presentations to read through, and heaps of them. Lots of graphs and strange examples which are not tied to the video material. The lectures are brief, uninspiring, and relate in NO WAY to the actual Quizzes. This is a dismal presentation of the subject, and it is clear zero effort was put into developing the course. The team really phoned it in here - just threw some slides up and a couple teleprompter style videos. I've been more educated watching my kid watch YouTube videos of other people playing Minecraft! That's how miserable this course is. Good luck with the quizzes, maybe google some definitions or something.

By Gerry-Ann J

Oct 4, 2020

The material is impossibly worded so if you are not a economics or finance student but want to increase your financial literacy it's useless. The classes drag on and on and on and are thrown together quite haphazardly with no discernable progression of ideas or sense of cohesiveness. The examples are so convoluted, you just want them to be over and done with. As there is very little in the way of proper explanation of concepts, you're likely to be confused The quiz consists of questions so long that by the time you're done reading them you don't even know what the question is and you have 0 desire to answer it at all and I can truly say, a google search does a much better job of explaining any of the concepts in the course than reading the material. IF YOU'RE NOT A FINANCE/ECONOMICS/MATHEMEATICS MAJOR and you thought the course would be a useful tool for personal financial literacy and decision-making...it's a hard no.

By Neil E S S

Jul 2, 2020

Overall, did not enjoy the course, sorry. The design was just a hot mess. I sensed little effort from the course. Had I wanted to simply read PDF slides, then I would've visited another source, rather than engage in Coursera. It basically defeats the purpose. Moreover, the instructor just talks about exactly what's in the reading material so I started skipping the videos in the second week. The quizzes were of questionable design, and I don't know how correct answers became correct answers. Further explanation to the answer key would help. Quite frankly, just go with Investopedia - they have a concise article about Behavioral Finance anyways.

By Emre D

Feb 18, 2020

Even though the content was extremely interesting, the performance of lecturers were poor. If I didn't want to learn from videos by known universities, I would just buy the relevant textbook and learn it myself, which in this situation happened. Videos weren't even covering whole content the slides were about, and there were no questions in videos/slides similar to those in quiz. A 10 minute video of Market Bubbles & Crashes would be more beneficial than reading from an outside source. I am happy that I completed such an interesting an important course, however the design of the course and lecturer's performance was low.

By Mike

May 14, 2020

The layout and presentation of this course is clunky and not intuitive. It assumes a grasp on a priori knowledge--which, for a beginners course, does not seem wise. Perhaps the juxtaposition of this course against Dr. Shiller's Financial Markets course (which I just now completed) makes this one come off as worse than it is. The reading material is written in an annoying "hold your breath to find out why this makes sense" style. Regardless, I'm un-enrolling after slogging through the first week and will look for another course on behavioural finance.

By Akarsh M

The course was very interesting. But one thing to note is that there is a lot of reading to do and a lot less explanation is given by the lecturers. On top of that, the examples in the quizzes were quite vague and exhaustive. And armed with limited knowledge, I found it very difficult to go through them. Also, I got no review/correction as to why did the option I selected was wrong. This way I could have corrected myself

By Paul W

Aug 5, 2016

The course is very light on substance. There are significantly better courses and books available on the same subject matter. I definitely would not recommend this course.

By Edwin S

Aug 22, 2020

Worst course I have done on Coursera. You are expected to learn almost everything from a few pdfs and lectures do not cover much. Definitely not recommended.

By Fokrur R H

Apr 24, 2020

The worst course ever. There is no matching between course video content and question. Not much explanation about the biases.

By Chelsea R

Dec 1, 2019

I was looking more for a beginners level course for money management, and this was more geared towards finance.

By 18BCF020-Bindhiya M B A

Sep 30, 2020

Certificate is not there ...And after completing of course I didn't get my certificate