Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

AR

May 08, 2017

"Rationality is an assumption in economics, not a demonstrated fact" I loved this course and all the content. It was kind of hard to understand since i don't have the basic knowledge about economics.

AM

Aug 16, 2017

Great course! It allows to understand the twisted logic that run in our heads. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Thanks a lot!

276 - 300 of 530 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Kanika A

Jan 01, 2020

The readings for week 2 and 3 could have explained the biases in more detail using examples, so that the questions on the quiz don't look alien while still being challenging. Could have benefitted from Quiz Answers and explanations for weeks 2 & 3, just like the ones provided for week 1, so that we know where we went wrong. Really liked the Jean-Paul Rodrigues questions on Week 3 quiz. Liked how links were provided for supplementary material about Bubbles and Crashes - would have liked similar links for other weeks- to read on my own and enhance my learning. Great course, a very new field for me. This course has gotten me very interested in exploring this domain further.

By Nagendra G

Jun 20, 2017

This is a good course. My first foray into behavioral finance and I am very interested and ready now to dig deeper into the subject. The only reason I am not giving a 5 star is because I felt the lectures could have been a little more detail oriented and not as precisely up to the point as they were. Given that I am a non-finance person, it took me a little longer to grasp a few things. But I like and respect the teachers and clearly they had full grip on the subject.

Highly recommend to anyone to can accept the fact the behavior and biases play a major role in our financial decision making process.

By Daozhang W

Feb 10, 2020

It provide me a brief understanding in the area Behavioral Finance. While, I think we could still imporove the course in some ways, 1. the structure is not so clear. It's better to index the points by numbers. 2. I think we could provide more video explanation for some points, it just skip the video explanation form some key tersm. i.e. framing. 3. I am not familiar with some historical financial crisis that exists in the tests, I think if those were replaced with some all-well-know knowledge will be better.

By Daniel K H

Jun 22, 2019

I have always pondered about why people make irrational economics decisions. This course gave me a framework to examine those. The professors present in a very straight forward way, and offer a multitude of hypothetical examples.

Some of the questions on the exams did call out biases that were not explicitly called out in the lectures or readings. My only other suggestions for improvement are to lengthen this course to four weeks, and to consider offering a more advanced follow-on course.

By Rebeca M M d L

Dec 07, 2016

This course has very interesting and complete content. However, for begginers it can be a bit hard to take all quizes successfully at first attempt, due to the high number of concepts addressed in the videos and articles. Some concepts seems obvious at first, but a begginner can get confused among them. Maybe the material should be better organized in topics, in order to facilitate the comprehension of different ideas. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this course.

By bob n

While Interesting material, wish there were more examples. A bit of a potpourri of terms, a glossary would have been helpful. Videos did a nice job of filling in pieces. Also perhaps I rushed, but didn't sense a thread throughout the material. Readings/case studies in week 3 from thebubblebubble.com were interesting, would have like some discussions from course professors on one or two rather than only being asked about them in the week three quiz.

By Holger H

Oct 16, 2016

Comprehensive course on behavioural economics with a focus on getting those constraints in thinking and alternatives for rational thought explained in clear language. Although some prior knowledge in economics comes in handy, this course is clear enough to follow and complete for those with no experience in the dismal science. The video's are clear, the reading consists of college slides and the examples give a clear reading of complex processes.

By Eeshaan A

Mar 09, 2020

For people who think that they are interested in the field of Behavioral economics, this course could be a great starting point.

Also,

the course material (parts of it) have valuable, real life applications for you and me, which could mean the difference between an average life of common American or a quality life, build on profitable, solid, and well strategized financial decisions, knowing where the inherent biases in the human behavior lie.

By Lindsay P

Aug 24, 2016

This is a great starter course/primer for behavioral finance! I would like to thank Dr Rasiel for the contents of this course.

Recommendations for improvement:

-Create a single sheet defining the biases contained in the course for easy reference.

-Add more examples and retrospectives that explain the similarities and differences between the biases.

Overall, I really enjoyed the course and look forward to additional courses on Behavioral Finance.

By Chanel

Oct 21, 2018

I loved the course! I felt it help me with understanding finance, financial bubbles, why markets crash and why we make the decisions we do faced in different scenarios and situations. I did feel there were a lot of things in the quizzes that were not covered in the reading material and videos. I found myself getting a lot of my answers from outside sources. overall I enjoyed the course and feel more confident in my investing!

By Oriol G i R

Aug 16, 2016

It's a great course, clear explanations and simple videos.

The missing star was lost on the way that misleading or undefined bias are presented, especially during the different decision phases.

I would like to propose to discuss a case of a stock share in a timeline, to see whether this "panic" or "overconfidence" applies, and also in global macroeconomics (e-g. the PIGS bubble, the debt bubble)

By Deepak S

Jul 19, 2017

Its quite challenging to pass the quizes, especially if you are a beginner. And because its challenging to pass (or at least it seemed so), if you pass you gain a sense of achievement and learning.

Overall it was a great course, i have two areas of improvement to suggest:

1. Topics and course material can be more structured

2. Length of the course seemed short

By Kristoffer A P

Dec 28, 2016

Interesting course. I just wished there was more interaction and discussion and that there is further clarification regarding the length of the course.

Right at the start Ms. Rasiel mentioned a 14-week course. I feel there's more to the course but I wasn't able to take advantage of it. There were also some videos that seem to start mid-way already.

By Oliver N

Jun 12, 2017

Contains a lot of excellent information. A very interesting course, and very useful for understanding our own biases and how people make sub-optimal choices. Unlike most courses on Coursera, you need to read the written pdf files as well as watch the videos - the videos alone don't cover all the information you need to pass the final.

By Akshat A

May 03, 2020

I found this course really interesting and very beautifully instructed. Week 2's course content is the most crucial aspect of this course. 10/10 recommendation to finance and economics backgrounds students. Won't take much time to understand the concepts because they have been very practically explained using day-to-day examples.

By Judy S

Oct 22, 2017

I had a tougher time with this course than I thought I would. The supplemental materials were inadequate and I had a difficult time grasping the biases. Thankfully, the Internet was helpful. In all, I got a greater appreciation of behavioral economics. It is beyond money. It is in everything including the life choices we make.

By Salim s

May 16, 2020

A Great course indeed. This course will add more value to your existing knowledge and will make sure you learn something more. Prof Emma is really very knowledgeable ,The quiz in the course is challenging. I would highly recommend this course for those who want to enhance their knowledge pertaining to behavioral finance.

By Xiao M

Aug 14, 2017

I hope the lecture is more connected to the reading, but with more different examples to fully explain those concepts. Also, it would be great if professors can help us differentiate those similar concepts in the lecture. Lastly, please add feedback of correct answers and explanation after quize questions! Thank you!

By Yiannis K

Jun 23, 2017

Very interesting course, I learned new terminology and it will be able to analyse certain behavior that I am noticing daily at work. The only minus that why is not 5 * is the presentations. They need a bit of work to be more attractive. PDF format is ok but not really helpfull to scroll down and read. Thank you!

By ZHAO Y

Sep 06, 2018

Needs a lot of extra reading for students with little finance/econ background, but still quite fruitful study experience, especially if you take the quiz also as part of the learning and as a way to supplement with and consolidate the class materials. Appreciate the professors' vivid lecture talks. Thanks!

By Yogesh K

The course was helpful in understanding the different behavioural biases in the field of finance. The slides are presented with good examples. However, the examples need to be more clearer and a simple explanation should also be included for the students who have never read about the investment area.

By Sowmya

Feb 23, 2020

I would like to thank Duke University for introducing this new course. I would like to express my gratitute and thanks to the tutors for helping me to understand the concepts. Thank you Coursera. I would like to read further on this topic. Please suggest me reading relating to Behavioral Finance.

By Scot M

Apr 09, 2020

Good course. I wish there was more commentary on personal finance and investing in real world situations. It gets most into that in the last section. I would like to have an entire section on the bubble curve and the various human biases experienced throughout market roller coasters like that.

By Bipanchee G

Jun 19, 2020

The course is beneficial. But the concepts are not explained elaborately. As such at certain point it becomes difficult to understand the concepts of the entire programme. This need to be taken care of by the course reachers and the administration.

Bipanchee Goswami. India.

By Andreas o

Very interesting topic. The content is good, the videos are simply the reading of the PDFs and the Quizzes lack a further explanation. For a glimpse into the topic this course is excellent. Maybe the authors could pick up the feedback provided and enhance the course.