Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

PT
Mar 12, 2021

I had fun enrolling on this course and it's very insightful. And Keep the great work, Dr Shane Dixon. I can't wait to complete the rest of the courses so that I get my professional certificate. Thanks

JG
Aug 17, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

226 - 250 of 3,400 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Jeremy M

Oct 10, 2016

Just the beginning now but a really great one !

Love the content, the teachers videos are really well made and explanatory.

I found the Coursera platform really well fabricated and intuitive.

Everything is set to give us the best chances to thoroughly learn and earn that awesome life changing license !

By Jona C

Nov 16, 2020

I love this course! I've enjoyed all the videos, theories and even assignments. None of them bored me. I love the way the speakers explained each module. This isn't time-consuming as well. I was able to finish the whole course early and this time - I'm starting to do the next course. More power! :)

By Yasmine S

Feb 21, 2021

This course is really useful and helpful for any teacher around the world. It has great resources, content and tasks. It gave me a lot of information and knowledge about being an excellent teacher. I would like also to say massive thanks to Dr Shane Dixon, he is a professional and unique teacher.

By Juan J R P

Aug 30, 2020

Realmente un valioso recurso donde se presentan alternativas pedagógicas para alentarnos a la aventura de enseñar ingles, disfruté cada uno de los vídeos y me parece genial la forma como los instructores dan sus explicaciones en cada tópico. Recomiendo 100% este curso para nuevos participantes...

By maggie k

Feb 14, 2021

I have seriously acquired skills I never thought I would obtain such as studying and doing assessments online. I do appreciate that i was given this opportunity especially with the financial aid i was provided with to obtain this skill am sure it will give me greater heights. thanks once again.

By Zelia V P S

Jun 28, 2020

Dr. Shane Dixon explained the materials really well. It really stick in my mind and I can remember all of it easily. I really hope that later, when I become a teacher I can be just like him. I can present the materials in a fun and engaging way and in an easy way where student can understand it.

By Srinidhi

Jul 8, 2018

A perfect guide for beginners. Gives a brief outline on the various aspects of teaching a language and explains how to begin and guides us in developing our own teaching philosophy. The assignments encourages critical thinking and helps us understand the principles and crux of teaching English.

By Seema D

Feb 22, 2019

As an English teacher, I would recommend this course to each person who is interested in making impact in the lives of your ESL students by going deeper pedagogy of ESL teaching. I learnt the practical aspects of many pedagogical concepts. Our instructor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an amazing teacher.

By Natalya K

Sep 3, 2018

That's amazing! When I was about to leave my current teaching position, get TESOL certificate and go abroad looking for a better job - I had no idea how motivating this course could be! Now I will estimate not the salary I can receive in the future, but the skills I should acquire before that.

By Michael S M

Jan 20, 2021

Kudos to Dr. Dixon and all the other teachers who gave us a wonderful and meaningful journey as we gained various knowledge on how language acquisition is best taught to our learners. More power to Coursera, to Arizona State University, and the whole team. Keep up this amazing and noble work!

By Van N

Apr 21, 2020

My first Teach English Now! certificate ever. Teacher Shane Dixon is so humorous and erudite. The provided knowledge is well-organized and useful. This course is definitely worth my time and effort. I want to send my appreciation and biggest thanks to ASU and Coursera team. Thank you so much!

By Kristen V

Aug 9, 2019

This was a wonderful course which far exceeded my expectations. I actually looked forward to each lesson, and I am motivated to continue on to get my TESOL certificate through Teach English Now. Dr. Dixon and team definitely practiced what they preached by keeping it fresh and interesting.

By maria b

Oct 24, 2018

Great content, effective delivery and thought provoking essay questions. Bear in mind that you get out of the course what you put in. Ensure to use the assignments as reflections of the modules which you can go back to during your teaching careers and use as forms of professional development.

By Annie r

Apr 26, 2019

Hello friends. I just started my learning after a nice gap of years and i thought to give it a try and i am happy to say that i could do it as the course is not that tough and very understandable and more over you get to read so many reviews. I really enjoyed completing the course. Thankyou.

By Katie S

Jan 30, 2021

These people are teachers of teachers and really understand how to make classes engaging. They have put a LOT of effort into creating all of these lessons and acting out different portions. Each video is 10 mins max and most are shorter so they really hold your attention and go very fast!

By Amber K

Apr 28, 2020

The material was presented in an inspirational, easy-to-understand manner, with great metaphors to help one remember the lesson. I really enjoyed the teaching example that used Haru's story, it was inspirational, and it was nice to see a small part of how teaching works in the classroom.

By Cong A K L

Apr 12, 2020

It's my pleasure and honor to enroll for your course. My feeling now is ineffable when I received such a certification from an elite tertiary educational institution. On the top of my gratitude to Dr.Shane Dixon and his team for his indefatigable effort to design such a consummate course.

By Mr. N s

May 23, 2020

It is indeed a very useful and motivating course not for just beginners for all those who wish to a language teacher. I personally got fully benefited in terms of new knowledge, core concepts of learning and skills. I would like to take on more such courses to enhance my competencies.

By Ruxue S

Sep 18, 2019

i really enjoy this course because the two instructors use active body languages and changeable tones and expressions to deliver, which makes this course interesting, and perfectly coherent with what they are teaching!_how to teach English. thank you all for this wonderful course!!!!1

By Mariia P

Aug 12, 2017

I LOVED this course! Everything was so clear and I enjoyed watching lectures and doing tasks. Thanks to all people who created this course, I've never been so satisfited with studying. After this course I feel totally confident that I can use techniques in real life. THANKS YOU A LOT!

By EKENYA F P E

Jul 11, 2016

I've learnt a lot thus far and it has transformed my entire preconception about teaching English language. Indeed "langauge is like cake" and not "anyone who speaks the language can teach the language". Thanks to you my Amazingly super great tutors. So glad to be part of your class!!!

By Marines G L P

Dec 21, 2016

The course was really amazing, I loved the didatic of the course, all the metaphors from Dr. Shane helped me a lot . The disign of the course was clean and easy to undertand and the quality of the videos simply perfect.

I will suggest all my friends that are teachers to do the course.

By Indrani

Jul 29, 2020

The course is very well structured. Wonderfully modulated video lessons transfers the students inside actual classroom and we get a feel of part of Dr Dixon's class.

However, I feel some kind of interaction with our mentors throughout the journey will give a new edge to this course.

By Inass A

Dec 5, 2020

A very interesting course, which offers all the pedagogical terms in a personalized, metaphorical way. It makes it easy to understand as well as relate to the course. I did not expect them to be motivational as well, but it was a nice touch, which gave me more fire to my teaching.

By Svitlana G

Oct 19, 2019

Thanks to all the professors and Coursera who made it possible for us to learn while being on distance! It is an amazing opportunity and experience! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and time!

I have enjoyed this course very much! I am looking forward for another one!