Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR
May 12, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

51 - 75 of 3,133 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Diana J K

Feb 19, 2018

I liked this course a lot. Dr. Shane does a great job of breaking down concepts with metaphors and stories from his own life as well as essays from his students. You can tell he genuinely loves teaching and his personality comes out in these lectures. He addresses not only how to teach effectively, but takes time to talk about you (the teacher), and the importance of a good work life balance. If I have one criticism of the course, it is that the weekly Essential Questions (mini essays or video responses) are graded on extremely loose criterion. However I understand that not everyone who takes this course is a native speaker. Thank you Coursera!

By Lanhui L

Jan 8, 2020

Really hands on course with great and unforgettable metaphors. Help to struct a picture of being a good teacher by introducing fundamental but crucial rules, e.g.being a camera to provide both focus mode and diffuse mode for learners, so that they can spend time in words and grammar while practicing what's being learnt in outside world. Taking learners' sentimental factors seriously to help build confidence etc.

Most of the time, we were only thinking about what to teach. With theories in this course, we got our own diffuse mode of teaching how to teach (how to stimulate) and how to teach them to be good with language learning strategies (LLS).

By Mason W

Jan 21, 2017

This is a wonderful and friendly course that, at any moment, seems relatively easy yet conveys a smart and sensible pedagogy to help students acquire a language. Each week's coursework lays out a simple metaphor, yet that chain of ideas leads to some very sensible ideas like how one shouldn't feed English to students the way one feeds corn to geese for paté, but, rather, that students should be motivated to teach themselves by immersing themselves in language communities. So this course was a lot of fun, yet in only a few weeks I've learned more about pedagogy than I did on a five-year English-teaching trip around the world.

By Christyn C

Oct 22, 2017

I have never enjoyed a course as much as I am this course! I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to learn from professors that are so passionate about this field. I was expecting your typical college course where it's boring and non inclusive. This is seriously the best experience and I am having the time of my life! I've never felt so involved and inspired by a college course. This is not a passing feeling. It's taking root within me and something I will carry with me as I continue on my journey. Thank you so much for this course and....just the opportunity to be exposed to such amazing Drs./Professors!

By Shaimaa E

May 7, 2020

I learnt a lot of things from This Course, It was very useful for me, Thanks to everyone who participated in preparing and presenting this course.

I'm grateful for everything that I learnt in this amazing course, no matter how hard I try to say how am I very thankful for everyone of you it won't be enough to describe how I feel, So thank you so much.

Special Thanks to Dr. Dixson you are the best teacher I ever have and I wish one day I could attend a live lecture with you, I learnt a lot from you and from first lesson to the last one of this course, there's a huge difference in my level as a teacher :) thank You

By Omar T

Feb 14, 2020

First of all, I would like to express my full gratitude to the professors who made this course. It was very insightful and interesting. I would recommend it to everyone who is willing to expand his or her knowledge about the profession of teaching a English. Second, I want to thank all of my classmates who helped me with a lot of ideas and didn't hesistate to share everything they know. Also, for reviewing my assignments. Finally, I want to say that I am very happy for completing this course, and I can't wait to complete the other courses related to the specialization of teaching English. Thank you!

By Egunjobi M T

Apr 16, 2020

Teach English Now is filled with a lot of needful contents and techniques for better language learning acquisition. And lessons under it are not, at all, limited to teaching language alone; it extends to every aspect of teaching subjects. It exposes a teacher to better strategies for teaching , that would make students feel engaged and interesting about the contents. With adequate understanding of this course, teachers can produce confident and competent graduates who are as proficient at speaking, writing, reading and listening as native English speakers. I was fortunate to have taken this course.

By jujuyuan

Nov 18, 2016

I love the course and it is so useful.

The Lecturers are so wonderful even thougth all the lessons are on the video but I really can feel their efforts to make the course more approachable and easier to catch up.

The principles and techniques introduced about language learning are really pratical and scientific.

Besides, reading other learners' assignment is also beneficial to me!

Love it soooooooo much!

I will keep on learning as soon as I've got spare time!

Hope I can get the final certificate!

Thank you all who have made contribution to making this course! You guys are just awesome!

By Iryna K

Feb 28, 2018

Thank you very much for this course! It was very useful and interesting!

I've already started to implement all the knowledge I got here and I feel that my lessons became better and the students' result became higher as well! I am going to pass all the courses and capstones because the more we do something the easier it becomes!

Now I am an undergraduate student; however, in future I am planning to obtain my Master's Degree in the USA. So, if I succeed, I will definitely try to meet all the team of the course, because you are awesome professionals!

All the best to you!

By JayaKumar K

Jan 4, 2019

Was quite useful in setting the ground for the teachers to take a deeper look into the theoretical foundations of language teaching and their practical applications.

The course infact gave insights into how teachers should handle their classes as well as to what extent to shoulder their responsibilities as teachers.

In fact, I was a bit surprised when the Dixon advised not to assume too much responsibilities, but then got to understand how doing that affects teachers in the long run, and results in burn outs.

Thanks to the instructors of the course.

By Zerrin C

Dec 12, 2020

Hello! I really enjoy while I am taking the course. The information I have comes back. Dr. Shane is so good that We can understand the metaphors easily. Videos, readings, summaries are too clear to understand the subjects. I really wrote the assignments with the help of these contents. I had these lessons during my High school and university years. But it makes me feel happy remember again. I especially liked the lessons Dr. Shane acted like on the stage with costumes. In the beginning I didn’t think it will be so organised and clear. Thanks a lot.

By Camila J G

Dec 13, 2015

This was a very interesting module, other than giving out imporant information to question ourselves as language teacher it encouraged us to think again and review how is it that we are really performing as teachers, are we asking the right questions? are we thinking of the best ways to enroll our students on leargning languages? are we wnjoying our labour?

All of the lessons provided not only gave information to improve our classes but gave us the opportunity to wonder what can we do better and how can we be better as teachers.

Thank you!

By Eduardo E

Oct 27, 2020

The course has been an excellent resource of information and change of mine. It feeds the soul of teaching that makes me see my classes from different perspectives and the many things that I can do with them to make my students acquire the language. I was reborn with new methods and creativity to be in front of the classroom again. Indeed, I also see that my methods and techniques of teaching aren’t worthless as I thought. I thank you to all that make this course possible and the people that give me the opportunity to take this course.

By A P

Nov 16, 2019

Teach English Now! Foundational Principles is a great informative course. The self-paced style allowed time to focus on content where I needed to gain more skills. The instructors are pleasant and enjoyable to watch. The readings are fun and interesting. The constructive feedback I received from my classmates has improved my writing skills. The required reviews prepared me for grading students' work in the classroom setting. I highly recommend this course to anyone considering the ESL / TEFL / TESOL Teaching profession.

By Mohamed H

Feb 9, 2016

Course is fun, easy, enjoyable and beneficial. Prof. Shane is a very talented presenter and managed to pull me into the lectures. My only concerns are: The length of the course was too short and it was not very deep. In other words In my opinion they could have easily added another course worth of material to this course without it becoming overbearing. It made me feel that their stretching the number of courses you have to take to finish the specialization.

Other wise its a good course. Great instructor and good content!

By Karimzada G V

Feb 13, 2020

This course is just awesome. It will be very helpful to the ones who are at the beginning of the profession. The topics covered solutions for many of my struggles about teaching ways, the importance of practice, how to manage time in class, understanding my students' views etc. It also improved my analyzing skills with the assessment questions which were really food for thought. The best thing is all lessons are explained in a very simple way. I am very grateful to all Arizona University and Coursera team. Thank you!!!

By Ngo T Q P

I have learned a lot of interesting knowledge from this Foundation Principles course. Sometimes you seem to know it a lot but when you update you will see what you know is only the top of the iceberg. Everything need to be acquired with good instructors. Thank for the course's beloved teachers, I burn lightly with my teaching job again. I recommend this course for all teachers of language. If they feel bored with teaching, want to leave your profession, this will help them to find best themselves and core value again.

By sangeetha

May 21, 2017

This was an excellent course! I love how everything is taught in the form of metaphors. I particularly liked the simplicity of the course and the way it was presented in the form of short modules. I loved Shane Dixon's way of talking and his expressions made the course a lot of fun. I enjoyed all the assignment questions as they really helped me apply everything I learnt through each module. I will definitely recommend this course, and hope to move to the next level with it. Thank you for such an amazing experience!

By Edward L

Dec 7, 2020

I've been teaching for over 20 years and hold a Masters in Adult Education, but lost my licensure due to an out of state move during the Covid-19 crisis. This course reflects teaching skills and knowledge that I wish was presented to me on day one of my teaching and that all teachers should definitely have. It is also well presented and provides opportunities for learners to express their own ideas. I would highly recommend the course to just about anyone who wants to become a skillful student centered educator.

By Cynthia M P P L

Nov 11, 2020

It was really interesting, joyful and inspiring. Although I am a teacher myself, sometimes we have assumptions and beliefs that are wrong. I really loved this course and I believe it would help me to change students' view on learning a language and also my approach on how to reach to them. Lastly, also remember that because we want to give the best to our students does not mean to neglect ourselves. Balancing our personal life and teaching will surely have positive effects for both the learners and teachers.

By Joe S

May 13, 2018

Outstanding! I love the enthusiasm Dr. Dixon brings to this MOOC. This course is taught by people who really understand how to teach at the most basic level, which has made taking this course so informative. Not only did I learn the foundational principles of EFL instruction, but simply watching HOW this whole course was setup, executed, and designed has been a learning experience in and of itself. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is or is thinking of teaching English as a foreign language.

By Felipe M D A

Sep 26, 2016

Thanks, this course is an evidence of the advantages of a mooc and a good use of the technology, i learned a lot and i'll keep in mind all your advice. I want to go through all the courses of the specialization, even though i don't have the $$ to purchase for the courses certification, the important thing is that i'm learning a lot and my future first students will be the real certification and rectification of what i have leaned, giving my best self to teach them. Teachers. You are awesome. thanks

By Daniela C

Jan 25, 2020

I enjoyed the video lessons. I found the system of rating my classmates and my classmates rating me an interesting and stimulating activity. It was interesting to read other peoples' opinions, rate them and give feedback. I became aware that my feedback improved and was more constructive over the duration of the course and I hope that it was a bit helpful to the classmates that I rated. It gave me a sense of practicing something that will be part of what I do when teaching a language. Although,

By Hakan A

Jan 30, 2020

The course combines theory with practice in an organized and effective way. After a quick and understandable information about the teaching principles, course teachers really illustrate how we can apply these theoratical information into our classroom environment. The course also handles every aspect of teaching process: Methodologies, Learning Strategies, Students Autonomy and even Teacher Burnout. Really useful course for all language teachers. Thank You Coursera and Arizona State University.

By Carolin C

Nov 30, 2016

It is a recommended course for any teachers out there. Even though this course is focusing on teaching English language, I find that it is still helpful for teachers of any other subjects, even other languages! I thoroughly enjoy weekly assignment even though I have to admit that I didn't complete some by the end of the week. But, it is all on me because I am responsible for my own learning. Good luck to everyone who is taking this course and anyone who will be taking this course! Cheers!