Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

LA
Jan 7, 2021

I really love this trainibng, since it helps me to refresh my knowledge about my professional teaching.I also learned and related a lot from this. You inspire me to teach more effectively . God bless!

JJ
Aug 17, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

151 - 175 of 3,246 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Li-or B

Sep 29, 2020

Hello to the wonderful teachers of the course.

I enjoyed each segment and each class.

I know I learned a lot as I do not have a teaching background.

I have a lot of practicing to do but every time I finished a module I was happy to practice again and again on my own and with others around me.

Waiting for the second part with a smile on my face :-)

By Claudia Y A M

Aug 17, 2020

I am very grateful to Coursera for offering this course to the rest of the world. It opens the opportunity for instructors in the world to improve their teaching skills and become better teachers in their classrooms. Many thanks to the creators for driving the concepts in a fun and interactive way. It was an amazing and enlightening experience. Thanks.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 3, 2016

I like the course a lot. It is interesting and it seems very well organized. It is interactive in a way that challenges you to think and express your own opinion about teaching. That helped me gain a better perspective on language teaching and motivated me as a teacher. I do recommend this course. I am having fun while learning - best combination ever!

By Alejandra G

Nov 7, 2016

Las explicaciones son amenas y divertidas, ademas de claras y fáciles de entender. El material se puede relacionar con la practica diaria de enseñanza del idioma en cualquier contexto. Fue una muy grata experiencia que considero útil para profesores con experiencia, recién graduados o para estudiantes de la especialidad de educación en lengua inglesa.

By Shelby S

Feb 26, 2021

I had previously taken a TEFL course that did not present much in the way of teaching methods. So when I started this program, I was surprised on how thorough Dr. Dixon was on how to really engage students and make your lessons more meaningful. His energy is contagious and made sitting through courses way more bearable than it had been in the past.

By Yersaiynova Z

Oct 25, 2020

I have finished my first course on teaching principles and I feel empowered to continue studying about some more details of teaching a language. The course is very much interesting than I expected and I especially liked the rials given for extensive reading on the topics discussed, I think it helped me deepen into the topic with those life examples.

By Tang Y T

Sep 11, 2020

The course is well-developed with useful resources and lively presentations through easily-remembered relevant metaphors. I will always remember the dramatic examples of language is cake, language is like a camera, language is like a coach ( example of Michael Jordan trying to teach basketball merely from a textbook is funny and powerful!) and etc.

By Harshana S

May 14, 2018

I absolutely loved it! This is an amazing course which gives everyone a chance to be great language teacher, as well as a great language learner. I will always see teaching with a new set of eyes after this course. It has certainly changed my life for the better! Thank you to the Coursera community and Arizona State University for this opportunity!

By Svyatogor K

Nov 20, 2020

The people who made the course are great! Thank you very much! I've quit Novosibirsk state university because I didn't feel that people know what they teach. And I started looking for something else, something useful and I found this course. I fell in love with this course from the first video and I hope I'll be able to finish it. Thank you again!

By Liane L

Mar 12, 2018

This MOOC is fun-filled and is a good introduction to the world of language teaching. It offers a good solid foundation for prospective teachers to make sense of the process of teaching, classroom dynamics, and sources and theories that could be used in class. It makes use of a lot of metaphors to facilitate this, in humor-filled, simplified ways.

By JANET O

Dec 5, 2016

I have learned more techniques on how to have my pupils master their skills. The foundational principles are so helpful in dealing with issues on how to deal on ample time for acquiring the language. And this principles is not only applicable to language but on all the learning areas. I find it great and helpful..More power to all of you.GODSPEED.

By Marinko B

Jul 4, 2017

This course provides an excellent overview of the principles that any teacher must discover if he/she is to enjoy their work. These principles are transferable and do not deal with the language itself, but rather language learning (and learning in general), so it is a useful course even for those who plan to teach in languages other than English.

By Fejel T D

I like the short videos! It is a more interesting way of teaching than creating 1,5-hour-long lectures. Short but straightforward. My only problem is that after the third week it became a little bit monotonous because we had to do the same task every week. Despite that, the teachers are great, and I hope I will see them in the next modules, too.

By Gunamuni A M

Aug 20, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. As a student I am happy to say that the time and effort I put on this course was very beneficial to me. It is really helpful for me to improve my teaching career. I really appreciate the way the lecturers approach to teach us broad and deep concepts through very simple but meaningful examples. Thank you so much.

By KOMAL C

Apr 24, 2020

This course, which, is the first milestone for a language teacher has given me immense knowledge about the teaching pedagogy to be followed while teaching students and remain control over oneself and that teaching is a lifelong process where we will encounter pandoras secret every time throughout the journey.

Thank you for this beautiful course.

By NAKITENDE R

Mar 4, 2020

A very good introduction to the basics of teaching English to speakers of other languages.I learnt how to engage students from the very first seconds of a lesson .I became aware that students can gauge whether you will be a good teacher or not in just a few seconds.The techniques i learnt have given me confidence to teach in a professional way.

By Ethel P

Jan 17, 2021

This has been extremely useful. Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know about language teaching, then this wonderful learning opportunity came. It's then that I realized that there is still so much to learn. I am deeply honored and grateful to all the professors and fellow teachers who made this a possibility. Thank you so much!

By Mary J M B

Nov 29, 2020

HEY, I AM SO THANKFUL THAT I WAS GIVEN A CHANCE BY THE DOST CARAGA PHILIPPINES TO HAVE ACCESS IN COURSERA FOR THIS TESOL. I AM NO LANGUAGRE MAJOR BUT THROUGH THIS COURSE I REALLY FALL INLOVE IN TEACHING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. HOPEFULLY I CAN GET A LANGUAGE TEACHING JOB THIS COMING YEAR! <3 THANK YOU DOST, COURSERA, AND ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY.

By Mustafa F

Jan 18, 2017

the course was really informative and helpful, especially some theories and studies are 2007 and i just knew about since i graduated in 1995, I think all teachers should do these courses regularly,

and we hereby thank Coursera and ASU and all those who make it happen and I will go forward with the second course for sure, wish me Luck.

Mustafa.

By Benaragama V S I B

Nov 6, 2020

This course is a great opportunity to sharpen the teaching skills. The syllabus is well planned and easy to grasp. Even not being a native English speaker I could easily understand everything. Every concept is explained in a simple and attractive way. I offer my thank for the mentors, coursera and everyone involved in the process. Thank you !

By Sawaiz R

Sep 25, 2020

Hello everyone! I recently completed the first course of the TESOL Specialization and let me tell you, I am beyond delighted. The number of valuable techniques and teachings that I have learned in this course are truly stepping stones to my teaching career in the future. Dr. Shewell is an incredible teacher! Can't wait to learn more from him.

By Heidi G

Jan 8, 2021

I learned more about language teaching in this quick class than I did in five years at college studying to teach Spanish! It's condense, clear, enjoyable, and practical! I highly recommend it! It's the first in a four-course series to get a TESOL certification (I didn't realize at first that there were four courses, but I'm new to Coursera).

By Kate D J

Oct 30, 2020

A lot of skills I've learned in this course. It widens my horizon in teaching the language and able to know how important for us teachers to know our students, to know right strategies for the language and for us also as a teacher to be called an effective and effecient teacher. Thankyou so much for this course. It really helped a lot.❤️

By Dina A

Nov 22, 2020

Great course! By taking this course, you will definitely gain a great experience and acquire new knowledge and skills about teaching students English efficiently and successfully. Even in the first course, you will get so much useful information in the easiest way. Just try it and you will really benefit from this! Wish you success!

By Haythem E H

Jun 18, 2020

What a wonderful course it was and what a creative way to teach the principles of teaching the instructors used to facilitate understanding. The use of metaphors to explain the principles of teaching was very helpful and effective! I don't think I will ever forget the principles now nor the metaphors! I highly recommend this course!