Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

VM

Apr 10, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

CR

May 13, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

76 - 100 of 2,216 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Gladys

Nov 28, 2018

I highly recommend this course! It highlights teaching techniques language educators can use to ensure successful language teaching and learning in their classroom. Moreover, the modules are interesting and easy to understand. Every language teachers, novice and seasoned alike, must take this course. Kudos to Dr. Shane Dixon, Dr. Justin Shewell, Ms. Andrea Haraway from Arizona State University for such a wonderful online course!

By Sofia B

Feb 07, 2016

Amazing teachers, valuable information and top-quality materials! Thanks so much for making this course - I gained a lot from it, especially from giving and receiving feedback from fellow students. The only thing I didn't enjoy much are some questions in the tests because sometimes they seem a bit irrelevant. I would recommend making the tests a bit more to the point and reducing the amount of questions:) Thanks for your work!!!

By Sandy A

Oct 13, 2017

I want to say a huge thank you to Dr. Shane for making this course so fun and engaging. Also thanks to everyone else involved who put in endless hours to put this amazing course together - if I ever had any doubts about teaching, you certainly reassured me what a fantastic profession this is. My step father completed Tesol a few years back and tells me it was nothing like this and that I'm very lucky to have found this course!

By Md. D I

Mar 31, 2020

Taking this course, as a trainee teacher, I feel that more confident than ever before. Besides, based on the gained knowledge from the course, I have started writing about Teaching English in my local language Bangla using contextual references. I post them on my social media account, and I am receiving positive feedback. Many of the readers have even expressed their interest to pursue Professional TESOL certification.

By Carlos G H C

Feb 24, 2019

I learned a lot about the theories behind language acquisition from Krashen.

Dr. Dixon enthusiastically explains the concepts fo "teacher talk", "elaboration" and more, in the context of teaching languages.

The course checkpoints aren't tedious like in other courses, they just check for the essential parts and the elaborations are left for assumptions about language learning explained in videos as assignments.

By Jasson G C

Jul 06, 2018

This course has given me new insights into teaching English effectively to non-native speakers. The theories have widened my understanding of the concerns, issues and trends in teaching English to foreign students. In addition to that, the Dr. Dixon and Dr. Haraway are very engaging with their delivery of the lessons. I have enjoyed every moment that I have spent for this online course. Well done, Coursera!

By Aya K

Jun 12, 2019

This course was by far the most engaging introduction to teaching ESL that I’ve ever come across. The structure (short lectures interspersed with assessments) meant that information was provided at the optimal level or ‘sweet spot’, and Dr Dixon’s humorous anecdotes made the course fun. The two aspects motivated me to complete the course - in flying colours to boot! I can’t wait to start the next subject!

By sinan k

Feb 05, 2017

thanks to all teachers and students i am so happy to being here with you. this course help me to see my skills level and teach me to how can i improve them. i am a students of English language teaching and i am the one of the future teacher with this course i will be a good teacher and i will guide my students according to what i learned here. it is very useful for future teachers. thanks for everything.

By Youness L

Dec 22, 2017

Excellent course framework, and presentation. The content is of superior quality, and in par with what one will learn in the brick and mortar TESOL schools. I have also received interesting feedbacks from my course mates, and they have been all timely, constructive and pertinent. It goes without saying that the lecturers are highly intelligible and competent in the matter of presentation and language.

By Lindemberg P d S

Apr 24, 2019

Excellent!! A wonderful TESOL course for any one who dreams of becoming a great teacher someday!! It grasped my attention since the very first moment I started watching the first lesson. All the classes by Dr. Shane Dixon are quite interesting and enriched with a lot of pedagogical tips to teach better English language. Congratulations for ASU university and all the team behind this amazing course!!

By Sikorska A

Dec 24, 2019

I was glad to have an opportunity to enrol in this course and it gave me a truly important experience and useful knowledge. It was rather interesting and exciting to work on peer-graded assignments and I would be glad to continue working hard on my road through TESOL certification from Arizona State University. Let me express sincere gratitude for your work on this course. Let’s keep going!

By Camila N N D

May 07, 2019

Amei o curso! Mesmo sendo um curso online, me senti muito próxima dos professores. A metodologia usada foi incrível, trazendo metáforas para nos ensinar técnicas para sala de aula. Simplesmente maravilhoso! Acredito que poderia ter mais atividades para praticarmos o que aprendemos, porque eu sou uma pessoa que para gravar preciso praticar, então senti falta de um pouco mais de exercícios.

By Shane D L

Feb 15, 2016

Shane Dixon is a little over the top, but it's clear that his energy and enthusiasm is backed up by his knowledge (also it makes sense that he would have such a personality considering the need for it in his ESL classrooms). Everything he says is directed towards helping you understand how to apply what you are learning in a class. Easily the most interesting online course I've taken.

By Angela G C

May 30, 2017

It has been a truly enriching experience to participate and complete Course 1 of Teach English Now! Foundational Principles because it allowed me to relearn concepts I studied some time ago, read about new ideas for ESL, and connect with classmates from all over the world. Also, the professors behind the course are pretty competitive and knowledgeable about this field.

Thank you!

By Andrew L

Oct 04, 2016

This course is great! It has really got me excited about teaching English in China. All the concepts are explained clearly and with metaphors that make you think a bit deeper than you might have otherwise. And if you do all the courses in their Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) series (8 in total), you earn yourself a coveted TESOL certificate! Good luck!

By Mycah B

Mar 05, 2016

I looked forward to each week's newly posted lectures and other content. This is a well-organized course, and one learns the various principles, including the more technical, without much effort. Also, Dr. Shane Dixon is a gifted teacher: his success at teaching this class proves that the teaching methods he presents yields successful learning indeed. A recommended course!

By Katie

Sep 25, 2017

The class is definitely what it claims - an overview of foundational principles. I have a degree in education, so it was a bit tedious going through all the things I learned freshman year of college, but the class would be excellent for someone new to the field. The videos are cheesy, but don't waste too much time, and the quizzes/peer reviewed assignments are reasonable.

By Kiyingi I

Nov 19, 2019

Great foundation to teaching indeed. Thanks. As warm language and the tilt of warm language and metaphors was greatly explored to make content sticky in our brains. Great job, as MuD worked out. Language is like a cake, a camera, basketball,a door, the students are young birds, , teacher a couch, a candle and so more. Keep the light (students) remain ignited. Thanks alot

By Michelle M

Apr 22, 2018

This entire course was entertaining, engaging, and well-structured. I obtained new skills and learned the history of skills I currently use. Each week's theme made the information imparted easy to incorporate into everyday life as well as the classroom. I feel like I have a solid foundation upon which to build further education upon and I look forward to the next course.

By Baktygul B

I have enjoyed the most of the presentation of Shane Dixon!

Other teachers are also very good indeed, i really appreciate, but this fellow is very close to my pedagogical philosophy and really touched me, my general values in life.

I want to thank everyone who worked on such great smart project!!

My sincere love and respect for you guys,

Baktygul Baikozha from Kazakhstan

By SHEK S B

Apr 09, 2020

I find pleasure in doing the course. Tutoring is very impressive. Felt as if the mentors were next to me and guiding the concepts in a more understanding way. Very comfortable. Excellent learning. No boring at all. Fun in learning as notice evergreen smile on mentors' face which makes me no deviation from the course. It's a real edutainment. Thank you for your efforts.

By Ali M A

May 04, 2020

Although it just the firs instalment in this TESOL specialisation, this course is enough by itself to revise, improve, and maybe totally change your understanding of what it means to be an English teacher and actually teach with passion and success. I do recommend this course without reservation for Dr Shane and his team really know how to prepare and serve their cake!

By Guillermo A M L

Feb 20, 2019

This is an excellent course. It helped me a lot by teaching me a lot of basic principles about teaching that I didn't know. I think that the information given in this course is key to understand the role of a teacher and stay motivated, so we can help students learn and develop the best they can. I'm completely satisfied with this course and I recommend it 100 percent.

By Francisca R R

Feb 21, 2017

¡¡Maravilloso!! Este primer curso es inspirador, enérgico y sus contenidos están muy bien organizados. Siento que he aprendido muchísimo. Ningún otro curso de los que tomado, me había pedido reflexionar como lo ha hecho este curso. Es más que teoría, es introspección, es detalle, es también, una instancia de auto-revisión profesional. Gran curso, grandes profesores.

By Mayi

Mar 01, 2016

This course was beautifully made, the content was rich and meaty and yet not overwhelming. The modules were compact and yet well paced, presented using the very same principles being taught. My children (ages 8,10, 12) would even sit down and watch Dr. Shane's lessons with me, every week!

Thank you very much to the team behind the Teach English Now specialization.