Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

LA
Jan 7, 2021

I really love this trainibng, since it helps me to refresh my knowledge about my professional teaching.I also learned and related a lot from this. You inspire me to teach more effectively . God bless!

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

101 - 125 of 3,547 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Richard R

Oct 17, 2016

ASU has done a great job of putting together materials to present the ideas needed to teach English as a second language. It's far and away the most well organized and presented class I've taken through Coursera. I am auditing the class so I can't speak to the response times and response quality of the instructors but the forums seem active and I did get responses to my questions within a week. I look forward to enrolling for the certificate next year.

By Ronald Y

Jun 12, 2020

This is a great course. I taught for 20 years in schools of Medicine without any instruction on how to teach. This course has opened my eyes to the possibilities of teaching language in multiple ways. The presentations are clear and concise and easily understood. The combination of videos and written information makes for an excellent teaching strategy. Finally, I really enjoyed taking the course and learning so much more about how to teach languages.

By Deborah A H

Nov 2, 2020

Thank you so much! Coursera is the best! I really enjoyed and learned a lot from all the well-explained and clearly demonstrated lectures that I am sure I can also apply in the near future. All the concepts were made simple and easy to remember. I also sincerely appreciate the metaphors and the Taxonomy at the end of the course. I will definitely remember all of them. Great work, Professors and Creators of Coursera. Salute and more power to you all!

By Paul P

Jun 11, 2021

This course authorized by Arizona State University and offered through Coursera is such a blessing for all of us who enrolled. This course made me love English language more. I have learned a lot when it comes to teaching English language. The instructors are so intelligent and passionate in what they are doing, which made every learner to be more diligent and dedicated to finish the course. Thank you so much to the instructors, ASU and coursera.

By LESLYN M

Sep 10, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The content was well presented and the videos were very interesting and appropriate lengths. As a result, I was able to easily follow and retain the information and visualize how I will apply some of the new techniques I have learned. The peer assignments were thought provoking and it was beneficial to see what my peers in the class had to say. Thank you to all of the teachers, peers and wider production team.

By Heather L

Really great course to start my TOEFL journey. I have been out of college for over twenty years and this was a great way to get back into further learning. The content was interesting without being overwhelming and was presented in a simple way. Dr.Shane Dixon has great energy and is able to make the concepts relevant but also inspiring. In addition, I really enjoyed getting to interact with other learners as we reviewed each other’s submissions.

By Adalto F d G

Feb 22, 2016

The course is excellent! In fact, the professor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an expert able to capture and keep our attention.

More yet, the content and the approach used are really good! The way Dr. Shane conduct the course and explain how to become a better teacher make this course a must for future teachers.

I highly recommend, not just for english teachers, but those who wants to improve their abilities as professors at colleges and universities.

By Nadine E M K

Nov 24, 2020

My name is: Nadine Morrison, I am from Panama Republic of Panama. I am greatful for the opportunity you gave me to participate in this course. It was very helpful. I appreciated the way teacher presented the class. I have learn a lot of techniques and strategies I didn't know. I cann't afford the complite year, I know I learn someting in this course. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Best Regards,

Nadine Elizabeth Morrison Knight

By Susan S G S

Nov 14, 2020

I am so thankful for having the opportunity to learn to teach English with this awesome team! Dr. Shane Dixon, Andrea Harawa, Justin Shewell and all their supporting team, and of course, The Arizona State University, I appreciate your professionalism, all the tips and guidance provided in this course. This course is a great option to improve our teaching strategies and build new skills and abilities to do a wonderful job a ESL teachers.

By Roohi D

Oct 14, 2019

I found the course particularly exceptional and exciting as the things that were taught and how they were taught, was the first of its kind in my experience of traditional learning. I believe second language is one of the most difficult things to teach. Our teachers in the course, by way of teaching the modules taught us techniques of HOW language should be taught. I'm looking forward to learning more from them in the following courses.

By Sujata S L

Jun 12, 2021

I was somewhat skeptical about this course but it turned out the other way. I am so glad that I joined the it. I never felt like a passive learner as our instructors Dr. Shane Dixon and Andrea Hathway left no stone unturned to make the sessions interesting. Everything was so interesting about this course, from content to presentation. Thank you so much everyone. I am going to get enrolled myself for the next part of this course.

Thanks

By Alexandra P

Jul 10, 2018

This course is amazing, I've got a lot of new useful information in really concentrated form and it didn't take a lot of time. In my school and university there was a huge amount of useless information, and it was very hard to isolate important parts from the whole, and in this Coursera course I see absolutely opposite situation. Everything I read and saw in this course will be useful in my further work.Thank you.Kindest regards, Alex

By Nomindari B

Aug 20, 2020

First of all, thank you so much for empowering me and building me up through so many interesting lessons and reading materials. it is very helpful and it is absolutely one of the best courses. I'm so grateful for the professors and teachers who taught this course and prepared this course for us on behalf of the teachers all over the world. I am willing to use methods I have learnt from this course to my students at GMIT, Mongolia:-)

By Angelica S B

Dec 2, 2015

Oh my goodness! I can't say enough about how great this course was for me. Dr. Shane Dixon did an excellent job of sharing the concepts in ways that were easily digested (more cake please). The course was set up better than any course I've taken online. The use of the metaphors truly helped me to easily recall what the class was about and I believe it will always be part of my teaching future. Thank you all for such a great course.

By ALAMURI S N

May 15, 2020

I am Sri Nidhi and I am from India. I am very happy with the course and the instructors - Dr. Shane and his partner. I am very new to the teaching profession and to be frank, I never gave a thought about the principles that I have been using since my first day in teaching language. I am so glad that I came across this course and definitely this course already started making difference in my performace in all zones. Much obliged !

By Gladys L

Nov 28, 2018

I highly recommend this course! It highlights teaching techniques language educators can use to ensure successful language teaching and learning in their classroom. Moreover, the modules are interesting and easy to understand. Every language teachers, novice and seasoned alike, must take this course. Kudos to Dr. Shane Dixon, Dr. Justin Shewell, Ms. Andrea Haraway from Arizona State University for such a wonderful online course!

By Kendria R J

Oct 6, 2020

I really liked the casual yet professional set up of this course. Being a teacher coach in my private life, I understand ALL the information was good. I especially liked the part on Teacher Burnout (it's my specialty niche with mentoring teachers.) I understand WHY you put in as a module. I get that YOU GET IT!!! and thank you for your contribution. If you need any help or more testimonials I am available. www.iamkendria.com

By Sofia B

Feb 7, 2016

Amazing teachers, valuable information and top-quality materials! Thanks so much for making this course - I gained a lot from it, especially from giving and receiving feedback from fellow students. The only thing I didn't enjoy much are some questions in the tests because sometimes they seem a bit irrelevant. I would recommend making the tests a bit more to the point and reducing the amount of questions:) Thanks for your work!!!

By Andy A

Jul 6, 2021

I am totally impressed with this course in so many ways. The simple yet effective similes are what I will bring with me in my teaching because it summarizes so concisely the key knowledge. Moreover, Dr Dixon is so wonderful a teacher in imparting his knowledge in the most straightforward way possible. I highly recommend this course because it helps you envision your roles in a classroom in such a thoughtful and considerate way.

By Sandy A

Oct 13, 2017

I want to say a huge thank you to Dr. Shane for making this course so fun and engaging. Also thanks to everyone else involved who put in endless hours to put this amazing course together - if I ever had any doubts about teaching, you certainly reassured me what a fantastic profession this is. My step father completed Tesol a few years back and tells me it was nothing like this and that I'm very lucky to have found this course!

By Md. D I

Mar 30, 2020

Taking this course, as a trainee teacher, I feel that more confident than ever before. Besides, based on the gained knowledge from the course, I have started writing about Teaching English in my local language Bangla using contextual references. I post them on my social media account, and I am receiving positive feedback. Many of the readers have even expressed their interest to pursue Professional TESOL certification.

By Azizeh A

May 31, 2021

Hi, I newly completed this interesting course and I believe that it would be helpful for me. I enjoyed the course because it was well presented and using metaphors to explain the points made the topics more imaginable and easy to understand. Definitely I will enroll in part two of this course.

At the end. I would like to express my gratitude to all the ones who has prepared this course.

With best wishes,

Azizeh Atapur

By Halima N

Aug 5, 2020

I enjoyed the lessons. The class was pretty good I actually think I have learned a lot from this class. This was my first online class and I thought your homework and tests really made me think critically and search for the answers making me learn more especially peer assessments. And through watching videos i have learned how i can speak confidently while making my point clear e.t.c. Great thanks to my teachers.

By Rosario D R

Jul 13, 2021

Your way of teaching may be slow for a native speaker, but I think it's a very effective way of instilling in your students, the importance of the Foundation Principles. After all, an effective leaning is not how fast you finished a course, but how well you understood. A well-understood foundation is the corner stone of an effective and fun language learning. Thank you very much for helping me understand that.

By Behnaz S

Jun 25, 2020

Starting this course, I was so hopeful and optimistic about all the things I needed to learn about foundational principles of teaching, and to be honest, I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed every second of the videos and every word of the readings. took many notes and wrote many comments. met great ideas from different people.It was an amazing experience. Thanks you Coursera and thanks you Arizona State University.