Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

LA
Jan 7, 2021

I really love this trainibng, since it helps me to refresh my knowledge about my professional teaching.I also learned and related a lot from this. You inspire me to teach more effectively . God bless!

PT
Mar 12, 2021

I had fun enrolling on this course and it's very insightful. And Keep the great work, Dr Shane Dixon. I can't wait to complete the rest of the courses so that I get my professional certificate. Thanks

151 - 175 of 3,547 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Yakubovskyi O

Nov 30, 2020

I have an English language at the elementary level, despite studying it at school and university. Therefore, for me this course is the best stage and the most productive period of learning English. Every video, every text, every task of this course has become just incredible for me. Cool, thanks to the organizers of this course who were able to make it concise and useful

By Carolina E R H

Jul 21, 2020

This course allows us to visualize how important it is to teach, allowing students not only to receive knowledge, but also experiences that will help them to face their future with the best attitude, practicing good principles, with values that give them the confidence to believe in themselves and to model with passion and motivation for their own development and future.

By KIYINGI I

Nov 19, 2019

Great foundation to teaching indeed. Thanks. As warm language and the tilt of warm language and metaphors was greatly explored to make content sticky in our brains. Great job, as MuD worked out. Language is like a cake, a camera, basketball,a door, the students are young birds, , teacher a couch, a candle and so more. Keep the light (students) remain ignited. Thanks alot

By Michelle M

Apr 22, 2018

This entire course was entertaining, engaging, and well-structured. I obtained new skills and learned the history of skills I currently use. Each week's theme made the information imparted easy to incorporate into everyday life as well as the classroom. I feel like I have a solid foundation upon which to build further education upon and I look forward to the next course.

By Saleem B

Jul 24, 2020

I find pleasure in doing the course. Tutoring is very impressive. Felt as if the mentors were next to me and guiding the concepts in a more understanding way. Very comfortable. Excellent learning. No boring at all. Fun in learning as notice evergreen smile on mentors' face which makes me no deviation from the course. It's a real edutainment. Thank you for your efforts.

By Baktygul B

I have enjoyed the most of the presentation of Shane Dixon!

Other teachers are also very good indeed, i really appreciate, but this fellow is very close to my pedagogical philosophy and really touched me, my general values in life.

I want to thank everyone who worked on such great smart project!!

My sincere love and respect for you guys,

Baktygul Baikozha from Kazakhstan

By Ali M A

May 4, 2020

Although it just the firs instalment in this TESOL specialisation, this course is enough by itself to revise, improve, and maybe totally change your understanding of what it means to be an English teacher and actually teach with passion and success. I do recommend this course without reservation for Dr Shane and his team really know how to prepare and serve their cake!

By Guillermo A M L

Feb 20, 2019

This is an excellent course. It helped me a lot by teaching me a lot of basic principles about teaching that I didn't know. I think that the information given in this course is key to understand the role of a teacher and stay motivated, so we can help students learn and develop the best they can. I'm completely satisfied with this course and I recommend it 100 percent.

By Francisca R R

Feb 21, 2017

¡¡Maravilloso!! Este primer curso es inspirador, enérgico y sus contenidos están muy bien organizados. Siento que he aprendido muchísimo. Ningún otro curso de los que tomado, me había pedido reflexionar como lo ha hecho este curso. Es más que teoría, es introspección, es detalle, es también, una instancia de auto-revisión profesional. Gran curso, grandes profesores.

By Mayi

Mar 1, 2016

This course was beautifully made, the content was rich and meaty and yet not overwhelming. The modules were compact and yet well paced, presented using the very same principles being taught. My children (ages 8,10, 12) would even sit down and watch Dr. Shane's lessons with me, every week!

Thank you very much to the team behind the Teach English Now specialization.

By Марина Р

Jan 24, 2021

That was my first time to study online. And I want to say that it was amazing! First of all - teachers! That is incredible how interesting can be videos about education. Then I wanna motion that the platform is so interactive. Coursera and ASU did everything to give you an opportunity to study. Ive learn a lot about teaching and communication with students. 100\100

By Molly E

Nov 2, 2017

I've "taught" both kids and seniors informally before (swimming lessons, writing, computer classes) and this course helped put in clear perspective the things I'd learned by trial and error. Wish I'd known some of this stuff back then. It was pretty easy and broken down into tiny bits, and while it's a 6-week course, you can very easily do it in a week, like I did.

By Kumiko M

May 12, 2020

The course is very well thought out to provide the basic concepts and principles of teaching. These concepts are logical and easily understood. However, I was able to easily understand these concepts because of the well-thought out organisation of the course. The pace of the course is also suited for those who can make time on the side in their busy schedule.

By Allan d l C E

Jan 1, 2018

The course was very educational from beginning until the end. Using all kind of metaphors thru the entire course was really an eyeopener. Thumbs ups to the team Arizona State University who developed this training program. Good luck with sharing this inspirational teaching technique in the future. Allan de la Cerna Enriquez from Terneuzen, The Netherlands.

By Kristeline M

Jul 14, 2020

I love it. I learned a lot and I specially like the fact that the presenters are very empathetic to teachers. I appreciated the last module personally too since it caters a topic that not all courses offer. More than information is emotional stability of teachers so I love it when they talked about teacher's burn out. I am looking forward to the next course!

By Gerardo M C

Mar 24, 2020

This course was really very important, I consider it is aperfect tool for all the teachers who need a new information about how to teach a new language in the modernworld.It shows the tecniques, estrategies and how to use the technology not just for student as the teachers too.

For me was like a new breath necesary in the way of teaching english.THANKS A LOT

By Manal A L

Nov 4, 2019

A very significant course for all ESL teachers, even if you have many years of teaching experience it really shed the light on core concepts that you may have forgetten. I really enjoy taking this course; it has ignited mine motivation and has awaken me to try new ways and techniques in my career, thanks to the wonderful instructions provided by Dr. Shane.

By Karla L V G

Apr 29, 2021

Me encanto este curso porque pude desarrollar mas métodos para aplicar en la enseñanza del Ingles como lengua extranjera, también aprendí nuevas formas de enseñar que me facilitan el trabajo y reducen mi tiempo de planeación de clases, Ame a los instructores y su dedicación para crear el contenido de este curso, para que sea motivador, preciso y llamativo

By Emilia J C D

Sep 19, 2017

This course is proof that online learning can be an effective tool when used and done correctly! I absolutely loved being part of it and I appreciate the effort the teachers put into producing such good modules. I was interested in the idea of learning how to teach English before I started this course, and now after finishing I can't wait to learn more.

By Li-or B

Sep 29, 2020

Hello to the wonderful teachers of the course.

I enjoyed each segment and each class.

I know I learned a lot as I do not have a teaching background.

I have a lot of practicing to do but every time I finished a module I was happy to practice again and again on my own and with others around me.

Waiting for the second part with a smile on my face :-)

By Claudia Y A M

Aug 17, 2020

I am very grateful to Coursera for offering this course to the rest of the world. It opens the opportunity for instructors in the world to improve their teaching skills and become better teachers in their classrooms. Many thanks to the creators for driving the concepts in a fun and interactive way. It was an amazing and enlightening experience. Thanks.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 3, 2016

I like the course a lot. It is interesting and it seems very well organized. It is interactive in a way that challenges you to think and express your own opinion about teaching. That helped me gain a better perspective on language teaching and motivated me as a teacher. I do recommend this course. I am having fun while learning - best combination ever!

By Alejandra G

Nov 7, 2016

Las explicaciones son amenas y divertidas, ademas de claras y fáciles de entender. El material se puede relacionar con la practica diaria de enseñanza del idioma en cualquier contexto. Fue una muy grata experiencia que considero útil para profesores con experiencia, recién graduados o para estudiantes de la especialidad de educación en lengua inglesa.

By Shelby S

Feb 26, 2021

I had previously taken a TEFL course that did not present much in the way of teaching methods. So when I started this program, I was surprised on how thorough Dr. Dixon was on how to really engage students and make your lessons more meaningful. His energy is contagious and made sitting through courses way more bearable than it had been in the past.

By Yersaiynova Z

Oct 25, 2020

I have finished my first course on teaching principles and I feel empowered to continue studying about some more details of teaching a language. The course is very much interesting than I expected and I especially liked the rials given for extensive reading on the topics discussed, I think it helped me deepen into the topic with those life examples.