Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

LA
Jan 7, 2021

I really love this trainibng, since it helps me to refresh my knowledge about my professional teaching.I also learned and related a lot from this. You inspire me to teach more effectively . God bless!

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

176 - 200 of 3,547 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Emad A S

Apr 29, 2021

Thanks to Coursera Team I have completed online 'Teach English now' 1. Coursera, frankly speaking, provides creative and compassionate professors who spare no efforts to provide aid and support to different learners all over the world regardless to their species, religion or color. Many thanks to everyone who shares in this precious work.

Emad Attia

By Tang Y T

Sep 11, 2020

The course is well-developed with useful resources and lively presentations through easily-remembered relevant metaphors. I will always remember the dramatic examples of language is cake, language is like a camera, language is like a coach ( example of Michael Jordan trying to teach basketball merely from a textbook is funny and powerful!) and etc.

By Harshana S

May 14, 2018

I absolutely loved it! This is an amazing course which gives everyone a chance to be great language teacher, as well as a great language learner. I will always see teaching with a new set of eyes after this course. It has certainly changed my life for the better! Thank you to the Coursera community and Arizona State University for this opportunity!

By Svyatogor K

Nov 20, 2020

The people who made the course are great! Thank you very much! I've quit Novosibirsk state university because I didn't feel that people know what they teach. And I started looking for something else, something useful and I found this course. I fell in love with this course from the first video and I hope I'll be able to finish it. Thank you again!

By Liane L

Mar 12, 2018

This MOOC is fun-filled and is a good introduction to the world of language teaching. It offers a good solid foundation for prospective teachers to make sense of the process of teaching, classroom dynamics, and sources and theories that could be used in class. It makes use of a lot of metaphors to facilitate this, in humor-filled, simplified ways.

By JANET O

Dec 5, 2016

I have learned more techniques on how to have my pupils master their skills. The foundational principles are so helpful in dealing with issues on how to deal on ample time for acquiring the language. And this principles is not only applicable to language but on all the learning areas. I find it great and helpful..More power to all of you.GODSPEED.

By Brighid M

Apr 5, 2021

Possibly the best class I've ever taken in my life! I love love love this professor. I came away so inspired to teach-- not just English but everything! I run an NGO in Tanzania and I plan to use this for teacher training for all of my staff because I am so so impressed with this curriculum. I really can't say enough good things about this class.

By Marinko B

Jul 4, 2017

This course provides an excellent overview of the principles that any teacher must discover if he/she is to enjoy their work. These principles are transferable and do not deal with the language itself, but rather language learning (and learning in general), so it is a useful course even for those who plan to teach in languages other than English.

By Fejel T D

I like the short videos! It is a more interesting way of teaching than creating 1,5-hour-long lectures. Short but straightforward. My only problem is that after the third week it became a little bit monotonous because we had to do the same task every week. Despite that, the teachers are great, and I hope I will see them in the next modules, too.

By Gunamuni A M

Aug 20, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. As a student I am happy to say that the time and effort I put on this course was very beneficial to me. It is really helpful for me to improve my teaching career. I really appreciate the way the lecturers approach to teach us broad and deep concepts through very simple but meaningful examples. Thank you so much.

By Komal C

Apr 24, 2020

This course, which, is the first milestone for a language teacher has given me immense knowledge about the teaching pedagogy to be followed while teaching students and remain control over oneself and that teaching is a lifelong process where we will encounter pandoras secret every time throughout the journey.

Thank you for this beautiful course.

By NAKITENDE R

Mar 4, 2020

A very good introduction to the basics of teaching English to speakers of other languages.I learnt how to engage students from the very first seconds of a lesson .I became aware that students can gauge whether you will be a good teacher or not in just a few seconds.The techniques i learnt have given me confidence to teach in a professional way.

By Ethel P

Jan 17, 2021

This has been extremely useful. Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know about language teaching, then this wonderful learning opportunity came. It's then that I realized that there is still so much to learn. I am deeply honored and grateful to all the professors and fellow teachers who made this a possibility. Thank you so much!

By Mary J M B

Nov 29, 2020

HEY, I AM SO THANKFUL THAT I WAS GIVEN A CHANCE BY THE DOST CARAGA PHILIPPINES TO HAVE ACCESS IN COURSERA FOR THIS TESOL. I AM NO LANGUAGRE MAJOR BUT THROUGH THIS COURSE I REALLY FALL INLOVE IN TEACHING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. HOPEFULLY I CAN GET A LANGUAGE TEACHING JOB THIS COMING YEAR! <3 THANK YOU DOST, COURSERA, AND ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY.

By Mustafa F

Jan 18, 2017

the course was really informative and helpful, especially some theories and studies are 2007 and i just knew about since i graduated in 1995, I think all teachers should do these courses regularly,

and we hereby thank Coursera and ASU and all those who make it happen and I will go forward with the second course for sure, wish me Luck.

Mustafa.

By Benaragama V S I B

Nov 6, 2020

This course is a great opportunity to sharpen the teaching skills. The syllabus is well planned and easy to grasp. Even not being a native English speaker I could easily understand everything. Every concept is explained in a simple and attractive way. I offer my thank for the mentors, coursera and everyone involved in the process. Thank you !

By Sawaiz R

Sep 25, 2020

Hello everyone! I recently completed the first course of the TESOL Specialization and let me tell you, I am beyond delighted. The number of valuable techniques and teachings that I have learned in this course are truly stepping stones to my teaching career in the future. Dr. Shewell is an incredible teacher! Can't wait to learn more from him.

By Heidi G

Jan 8, 2021

I learned more about language teaching in this quick class than I did in five years at college studying to teach Spanish! It's condense, clear, enjoyable, and practical! I highly recommend it! It's the first in a four-course series to get a TESOL certification (I didn't realize at first that there were four courses, but I'm new to Coursera).

By Kate D J

Oct 30, 2020

A lot of skills I've learned in this course. It widens my horizon in teaching the language and able to know how important for us teachers to know our students, to know right strategies for the language and for us also as a teacher to be called an effective and effecient teacher. Thankyou so much for this course. It really helped a lot.❤️

By Dina A

Nov 22, 2020

Great course! By taking this course, you will definitely gain a great experience and acquire new knowledge and skills about teaching students English efficiently and successfully. Even in the first course, you will get so much useful information in the easiest way. Just try it and you will really benefit from this! Wish you success!

By Haythem E H

Jun 18, 2020

What a wonderful course it was and what a creative way to teach the principles of teaching the instructors used to facilitate understanding. The use of metaphors to explain the principles of teaching was very helpful and effective! I don't think I will ever forget the principles now nor the metaphors! I highly recommend this course!

By Mar S

Jan 11, 2018

As this was my very first "course" with Coursera. i enjoyed it! I found it entertaining and very informative as well. I believe it can help a lot!. I didn't complete al the courses because I have many interests and now I am fallin for the freelance remote work so i got to learn about that and hopefuly with Coursera I get to do that!

By John N S G

Jun 7, 2020

This course is fantastic, I learned lots and lots of priciples about teaching any language, how to combine between the content and the technique, how to be different always and follow your own passion in teaching the language and be an actor, act silly and make jokes to serve the purpose and make your students acquire the language.

By Yeskhat K

Dec 9, 2020

My dear teachers, my first thanks to you, you became like a family to me. You inspired me, you made me study again, you made me believe in teaching again. You made me even nervous during the tests))))))) My second thanks will go to the IT support team, cameramen and to other teachers who made the course possible.

We love you guys!

By Theresa R M

Dec 5, 2015

If you're interested in learning virtual instruction, then this is the course for you. The instructors encourage students to record a series of videos (1 to 4 minutes long), but those without a Web cam can also submit text files. Making a fool of yourself is allowed. The instructors provide excellent andragogy. Highly recommended.