Back to Equine Welfare and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Equine Welfare and Management by University of California, Davis

This unique course was developed by veterinarians at the world-renowned University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. The course will address horsemanship from a welfare perspective, within the context of “The Five Freedoms” of animal welfare. We’ll explore equine physiology, behavior and basic needs including housing, nutrition, hygiene and disease management. You’ll learn how to perform basic tasks to assess the overall condition of the horse and identify problem areas. We’ll also examine the specialized needs of the equine athlete and the major responsibilities we as owners, handlers or competitors must assume in order to ensure the health and welfare of our equine companions. Finally, we’ll look several special topics in equine welfare including disaster planning and the international welfare efforts now in place to protect working horses and other equids in key industries such as racing, international competition, tourism and even mining. By the conclusion of the course, you will be well equipped to develop a comprehensive welfare plan for any horses in your care....

NC

Jun 02, 2020

This is a really great course for beginners interested in horses. I'm really glad I took this course, and I look forward to applying this knowledge in future volunteering opportunities!

MB

May 02, 2020

This course covered a little bit of information in a wide variety of topics. The presentations were clean and engaging. I definitely recommend this course for beginners.

1 - 25 of 54 Reviews for Equine Welfare and Management

By Awais j

Jun 08, 2019

It is one of the best courses I've been through so far. Thanks a lot to Dr. Claudia for mentorship.

By annie s

Jul 16, 2019

very happy I was able to do this at home and was very pleased with what was covered.

By Bradley S

Sep 06, 2018

extremely informative would recommend to anyone wondering about equine welfare!

By Laura W

Nov 05, 2018

Wow! I thought I knew a lot about horses but after taking this course, I realized that I knew very little. The content was thorough but digestible for the average person to understand. I loved the videos where she used Joe as a model to show equine anatomy, how to check vitals and even how to give medicine. This course covered every stage of the horse’s life and common issues. I found that I couldn’t bring myself to watch the videos in week 6, but thankfully it was transcribed. I wish I could afford to get the certificate because the education in this course is work it. I hope you enjoy it as much I did. Thank you Dr. Sonder and associates.

By Muhammad Z G

Jan 18, 2020

I appreciate coursera community on organizing such a wonderful course . I learn many new things from this course . This course is helping students in providing direction regarding their future . Being a veterinary studnet i encouraged myself to go on equine practice side in future , though there is no scope of equine industry in our country( Pakistan ). Moreover , i will opt futher more courses about Equines by yours . Thank you very much for providing such a great opportunity . Thank you very much

Kind regards

Muhammad Zahid Gulshan

Student DVM (final year )

Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan ,punjab, Pakistan

By christina p

Dec 19, 2018

I did not find this course as challenging as I hoped. However, I am not a horse owner and I definitely learned some important things and feel that this class was definitely worth my time. I now understand so much more about owning a horse and basic healthcare.

By Harper B

Oct 17, 2019

Informative for someone who hasn't had much experience with horses. Not as challenging as I had hoped, but still a good thing to review what I know. Good for people who have no knowledge about horses to someone with about intermediate knowledge.

By HAMMAD U R B

Jul 16, 2019

Lots of information about basics of equine management. The major problems faced by owners and the manage-mental practices for better herd management.

By tina

Mar 05, 2019

I think it is a great course for those who are novice to horses. As well, it is informative to those of us who have had horses for many years.

By cindy m

Jan 06, 2020

Even with my years of horses, this is a great refresher. And I learned some new things too!!!

By Daniela D C

Jul 09, 2019

Thanks to this course I learned many tips and knowledge of equine management that will allow me from now on to improve my work at the time of living with these incredible animals, in order to give them the best possible welfare and also improve the physical and mental safety of horses and people, the course also helped me to become more aware of all the parameters that must be taken to give horses the best possible life and thus create a link between human and animal, i'd really enyoyed this course tjank you

By Bev H

May 09, 2020

I am very new to horses and do not own my own horse however after seeing a link to coursera and finding this course was available I felt it would be a worthwhile use of my time during the Coronavirus lockdown. Each lesson took me longer than the video time as I would pause to write notes however the presentation of the course was good and the content was clear. I would definitely do another coursera course - but think I should do a spot of housework first!!!

By Josie M R

Apr 19, 2020

As a Canadian student, I found this course to be very compatible with the Equestrian Canada Stable Management certification. It has information that I would grade as intermediate in level, but delivered in such a way that it is very accessible to beginners. It provides a very solid entry into education about Equines as a species, their care, and role in the world. The delivery method is also very accommodating to different learning styles.

By Juan P M A

Jun 25, 2020

It is the best course about equids, we learned about anatomy, care, management, behavior, and behavior problems and management, common diseases and illnesses.

If you are a horse lover, or you want to specialize in this field, this is the best course.

Additionally, it's by the University of California, Davis, ranked like the best veterinary college in the U.S

Juan Pablo Moreno / Future Veterinarian

By Raquel G F

Jul 22, 2020

This was an interesting course that covered a lot of topics in the horse industry. It's great for people who have been around horses a long time already or total beginners. I have had horses for years but still learned a ton from this course (mostly learned more about anatomy, diets, hoof and dental care.)

By Helen B

Jun 03, 2020

Very interesting and covered a lot. There was a lot I already knew but also some things I didn't know in being in and out of horses much of my life. It will help me help to care for a friend's rescue horses and be more aware of potential problems along the way. Good value for money also. Would recommend.

By Muhammad I N

Jun 04, 2020

One of the best courses I have completed. Very comprehensive learning about all types of equines. I would suggest that the trainer must include more real-time hands-on practice videos like in 1st while briefing about how to take vital signs. Thanks

By Natalie C

Jun 02, 2020

By Caroline M

Jun 21, 2020

Amazing course. Correct information, very versatile and took into account everything that is important. Would 100% reccomend. Also very nice with the images and videos provided.

By Mariah B

May 02, 2020

By Shumya A

Aug 02, 2020

Very informative and learning course.As a veterinary student, I am satisfied about this course.Thank you to all organiser for this lovely course.

By M L T

Sep 17, 2020

It's excellent for learning about horses, as a veterinary student I am very satisfied with the course. I learned too much from Dr. Claudia.

By mostafa a a

Oct 21, 2018

that's really a great course and the course open my mind more and more and provide me with more information about Equines.

By ciara n

Sep 13, 2019

Very informative and very well explained. Easy to follow for a non expert.

I am very happy I decided to do this course

By José A L G

Jul 02, 2020

The course was amazing, I improved my knowledge about equine welfare and all topics were specifically well designed!