Back to Econometrics: Methods and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Econometrics: Methods and Applications by Erasmus University Rotterdam

Welcome! Do you wish to know how to analyze and solve business and economic questions with data analysis tools? Then Econometrics by Erasmus University Rotterdam is the right course for you, as you learn how to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making. * What do I learn? When you know econometrics, you are able to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making in a wide variety of fields, ranging from macroeconomics to finance and marketing. Our course starts with introductory lectures on simple and multiple regression, followed by topics of special interest to deal with model specification, endogenous variables, binary choice data, and time series data. You learn these key topics in econometrics by watching the videos with in-video quizzes and by making post-video training exercises. * Do I need prior knowledge? The course is suitable for (advanced undergraduate) students in economics, finance, business, engineering, and data analysis, as well as for those who work in these fields. The course requires some basics of matrices, probability, and statistics, which are reviewed in the Building Blocks module. * What literature can I consult to support my studies? You can follow the MOOC without studying additional sources. Further reading of the discussed topics (including the Building Blocks) is provided in the textbook that we wrote and on which the MOOC is based: Econometric Methods with Applications in Business and Economics, Oxford University Press. The connection between the MOOC modules and the book chapters is shown in the Course Guide – Further Information – How can I continue my studies. * Will there be teaching assistants active to guide me through the course? Staff and PhD students of our Econometric Institute will provide guidance in January and February of each year. In other periods, we provide only elementary guidance. We always advise you to connect with fellow learners of this course to discuss topics and exercises. * How will I get a certificate? To gain the certificate of this course, you are asked to make six Test Exercises (one per module) and a Case Project. Further, you perform peer-reviewing activities of the work of three of your fellow learners of this MOOC. You gain the certificate if you pass all seven assignments. Have a nice journey into the world of Econometrics! The Econometrics team...

JJ

Nov 16, 2015

The design of the course is very Helpful and efficient. The course is well explained. The instructors are very clear and master the subject. They very detailed and well organized.

TM

Jun 09, 2016

Very practical, I would urge people who intend to take this course to come to this course with at least some knowledge of econometrics and statistics. It would come in handy.

26 - 50 of 152 Reviews for Econometrics: Methods and Applications

By Filip N

May 05, 2016

Good and challenging course.

By dejan g

Jun 29, 2018

Useful to have a global view of econometric methods.

By KM

Jan 11, 2016

Great course, learned a lot. Thanks for your efforts.

By Alejandro C

Feb 15, 2017

very good

By Abhishek A

Mar 19, 2017

Very insightful! Does a way better job than the professors at my college at putting concepts across :)

By Jean-Luc

Nov 16, 2015

By Todor M

Dec 19, 2016

Great and very useful and pragmatic course. Would recognize it to everyone for sure. Clear and easy if you're willing to commit to it 100%.

By Scrypnychenko A

Feb 24, 2016

Very Good Course!

Many Thanks to course development team!

By Zhang Q

Jul 19, 2017

Very helpful to me, thanks!

By Munirul N

Aug 01, 2016

I find this course excellent. It is a well balanced course in combining econometric theory and its application. The fact is that to apply econometric theory one needs to understand fair bit of econometric method (that includes matrix algebra, some properties of inner product space etc.) as well as how to apply those concepts in practice. In this respect this course does serve its purpose very well.

Overall, this course focuses some fundamental aspects and properties of cross-sectional data and time series data. Therefore, it provides one a good foundation (over 8 weeks) so that one can carry out one's future quest regarding any empirical topic by oneself ! I admit that modern econometric theory develops more sophisticated techniques but all of them share one common aspect i.e. they are based on more or less the same fundamentals or properties. Indeed, this course has been designed carefully by targeting those fundamentals and properties. Thus it might be very helpful to follow the modern econometric techniques.

However, this course does not talk about the panel data analysis, which share both the cross-sectional and time series properties (more or less). In my opinion it might be better to have at least additional one week session on panel data. In particular, when the data set shares both cross-sectional and time series properties, which set of properties will be dominant or how the estimation technique incorporates the variation of two dimensions (i.e. cross-sectional and time ) etc.

Finally, I like to thank all the teaching members and moderators of this course. I have enjoyed the lecture slides and videos very much.

By Prince K S

Nov 13, 2015

This is one of the best courses I have taken so far

By Yanpeng G

Aug 24, 2017

It's both theoretical and practical, well organized!

By 韩知言

Nov 07, 2015

Funny presentation and helpful powerpoint

By Melissa L S M

Dec 01, 2015

Awesome course, it's helping me to remember all I learned in College. Thank you

By Gustavo R e O

Nov 23, 2017

I totally recomend this course for those who are seeking to learn this challenging subject. The material presented in the course provides a great stimulous to stay on track and follow the course until the end.

By Moreno C

Jan 23, 2016

The course is excellent, with a good balance between theory and practice.

The level is intermediate. I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners.

By Carlos A L S

May 22, 2016

Thanks everyone that help to do this course a exemple of excellence instruction.

By Edgar G

Apr 24, 2016

Tough course! Very close to being in a classroom with plenty of material in every video. Keep a book on the topic handy and you will understand the material better.

By Mr. D Y

Oct 27, 2016

This course was amazing!

By Dimitrios B

Jun 20, 2018

Thank you.

By Sumit K

May 24, 2018

Great course to learn and to apply analytics in any field of management

By QUOC T P

Jul 01, 2017

This is an excellent course.

There are two things that I really hope to get in the future:

I would appreciate if there is a guide for solving all problem with Mathlab or R or any Statistics package

And, I would like to see Econometrics 2 (which is more about pannel data)

Best wishes for you

PHAN Truong Quoc

By Yau C G L

Mar 16, 2016

This course greatly exceeded my expectations. Thank you Erasmus University Rotter and Coursera for giving me a happy learning journey.

By Nirash P

Dec 21, 2015

One of my best Moocs course.

By 侯静波

Sep 25, 2016

GOOD COURSE! I can learn a lot of basic conception about econometircs, and the training exercises is good for me to understand what the teachers has taught in the course!